1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus 12-50mm EZ - First Photos

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LeeOsenton, Mar 25, 2012.

1. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I bit the bullet and bought one; an awful lot of money for a slow zoom. My investment side says I should return it; but I really like the idea that I have a wide angle and a near-macro in a single lens solution. The lens is soft at focal lengths beyond 42mm. Switching to macro mode locks the lens at 43mm; I wonder if this is why it is soft at the long end. I have no complaints with softness at 12-42mm or in macro-mode. The build quality and smooth operation of the powered zoom are first rate. Focus speed is silly fast and very reliable on my E-PL2. The shape of the lens is strange; it is as long as the m.Zuiko 40-150mm but skinny. Don't leave home without the Panasonic 20mm; you will need the speed for indoor work.

My first day was very overcast and rainy so I stayed home and played in the yard. I repurpose the clear shower caps from my hotel rooms when I travel. :rolleyes:  Pop that over your camera with the lens poking out the hole for your head and you have a splash-proof body to go with the 12-50mm! The images are mostly OOC crops except the first one; I played with it a bit in Photoshop and added the vignetting. There is little light fall off from the lens.

Our Yard at 12mm
    [​IMG]

Dramatic Art Filter at 12mm
    [​IMG]

The Fig Tree Awakens
    [​IMG]

Inchworm
    [​IMG]

First Spring Blossom
    [​IMG]

~ Lee

• Like Like x 3
  2. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Wow, thanks for the pictures, they are lovely. Looks like a great back yard!

Your post makes me really look forward to getting my 12-50 with my new OM-D!

3. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    And you won't need shower caps...

Lee

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Lovely pictures.

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Great photos. Glad you're getting good use out of that lens!

6. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Oregon
    looks pretty nice,
    I probably should of ordered it for the "macro" and the weather sealing, but by not ordering it, knocked 300 off the price of a 12mm which i would of got anyways :S
    i like the macro photos the best :) 

7. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Thanks to all for the kind comments on my rainy day photos. Weather is finally improving and I managed a quick visit to Ragged Island in Carrollton, Va. This was shot at 12mm. ~ Lee

[​IMG]

8. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Very nice
    Thanks for sharing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.