1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 12-50mm EZ - First Photos

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LeeOsenton, Mar 25, 2012.

1. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I bit the bullet and bought one; an awful lot of money for a slow zoom. My investment side says I should return it; but I really like the idea that I have a wide angle and a near-macro in a single lens solution. The lens is soft at focal lengths beyond 42mm. Switching to macro mode locks the lens at 43mm; I wonder if this is why it is soft at the long end. I have no complaints with softness at 12-42mm or in macro-mode. The build quality and smooth operation of the powered zoom are first rate. Focus speed is silly fast and very reliable on my E-PL2. The shape of the lens is strange; it is as long as the m.Zuiko 40-150mm but skinny. Don't leave home without the Panasonic 20mm; you will need the speed for indoor work.

My first day was very overcast and rainy so I stayed home and played in the yard. I repurpose the clear shower caps from my hotel rooms when I travel. :rolleyes: Pop that over your camera with the lens poking out the hole for your head and you have a splash-proof body to go with the 12-50mm! The images are mostly OOC crops except the first one; I played with it a bit in Photoshop and added the vignetting. There is little light fall off from the lens.

Our Yard at 12mm
    [​IMG]

Dramatic Art Filter at 12mm
    [​IMG]

The Fig Tree Awakens
    [​IMG]

Inchworm
    [​IMG]

First Spring Blossom
    [​IMG]

~ Lee

• Like Like x 3
  2. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Wow, thanks for the pictures, they are lovely. Looks like a great back yard!

Your post makes me really look forward to getting my 12-50 with my new OM-D!

3. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    And you won't need shower caps...

Lee

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Lovely pictures.

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Great photos. Glad you're getting good use out of that lens!

6. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Oregon
    looks pretty nice,
    I probably should of ordered it for the "macro" and the weather sealing, but by not ordering it, knocked 300 off the price of a 12mm which i would of got anyways :S
    i like the macro photos the best :)

7. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Thanks to all for the kind comments on my rainy day photos. Weather is finally improving and I managed a quick visit to Ragged Island in Carrollton, Va. This was shot at 12mm. ~ Lee

[​IMG]

8. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Very nice
    Thanks for sharing!