1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 12-50 Focus Hunting

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by stringshifter6, Jun 17, 2013.

1. stringshifter6

stringshifter6 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2012
    California
    Hello everybody,

I recently acquired a factory demo 12-50. I have a question for anyone who has this lens. Is it difficult to find focus at 50mm? The focus hunts a bit at 50mm, often failing to find focus at all. Backing down to 48 improves the problem noticeably. I've noticed it outdoors in good lighting as well.

Is this a normal tendency for this lens? Is it just a result of the aperture at the long end? I'm using this lens with an E-PL5.

Appreciate any experiences with this lens, thanks!

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I haven't had any issues with focus hunting. Simply out of focus yes. Ie situations where the camera confirms focus yet is out of focus.

Here is an example -

9068010621_9594fe5ee5_o.
    Screen shot 2013-06-17 at 3.46.00 PM by pelicaneng, on Flickr

My personal feeling is there is a lens or body software issue. This is not a new topic for the Oly lenses. It does not happen to everyone but it certainly happens.

3. stringshifter6

Feb 3, 2012
    California
    Thanks for the reply. It will just hunt at 50mm and I keep getting the darn blinky green light. Try a few more times and then it'll lock focus. The 14-42IIR locks on far faster.

4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    How far is subject?

5. stringshifter6

Feb 3, 2012
    California
    I'd estimate around 8-9 feet. It does better with closer subjects.

6. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I'm not seeing this. I am seeing it confirm and not be in focus.

Are you seeing this in low light? (Sorry I see you are seeing this in good light)

How much contrast is there in these shots?

7. stringshifter6

Feb 3, 2012
    California
    The light levels are lower indoors but not dark. I can understand if it is a result of lower light levels. The thing I don't understand is why backing off a few mm will improve the focus ability. The aperture doesn't increase that much (6.3 @ 50mm to 6.1 or so @ 48mm).

I've also tried shooting in daylight and the focus lock was not reliable. It caught me off guard. The subjects have good contrast. I deliberately aimed at high contrast subjects when I was testing it out. I guess I'll have to play with the lens some more and see if something is truly amiss. The trouble is only at the long end and anything below seems to be spot on.

8. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Are you able to acquire a different lens to test, in order to rule out a body issue?

9. stringshifter6

Feb 3, 2012
    California
    I have other lenses that work fine, but not another 12-50 copy. Also no others in that focal length.

10. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    My short experience with the 12-50 is pretty darn good. The only time I've experienced focus hunting is when I recently did a macro shot of a small bodied spider with thin sprawling legs on his web. I remedied it by using the manual focus first to get it close then used AF and bam, in focus.

11. stringshifter6

Feb 3, 2012
    California
    Just updating this:

I contacted Olympus and they suggested that I either reset the camera, (which I tried and it did not help) or just exchange the lens as they would have to look at it anyway to determine if anything is out of spec. Cameta has been helpful and responsive as usual and they are going to just swap it for a different copy. Thanks for all the responses everybody.

I'll update on whether the other copy is better in the autofocus department

12. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    You know, Cameta did me right today, too. My spare OM-D non-OEM battery didn't seem to hold charge well and they mailed out a new one today. :thumbup:

13. stringshifter6

Feb 3, 2012
    California
    Cameta has always been good to me.

My exchange lens arrived today. This copy is so much faster in the the autofocus department. Testing in the same lighting conditions and using the same subjects yielded focus lock nearly 100% of the time. Focus is much more accurate. I have no doubt that my first copy was defective.

Thanks for all the help and info everybody!