Showcase Olympus 12-45mm f/4 PRO

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Coming soon, still trying to process pictures from six weeks ago! I bought the f1.8 primes to go with my em-5, they are currently taking priority because I'd forgotten how useless I was when I have a shallow depth of field. 🤣
Brian

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
As I said I'm basically stuck indoors so these represent the best I can do. They are unsharpened, just colour corrected (by faststone viewer not me) and resized to fit the forum. I hope they are of use because I've not done this sort of thing before! All taken at f4 iso 200-250, first two at 45mm second two at 12mm. The plate was f4, iso5000 at 28mm,
Brian
Brian
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
That Lego board makes a good test object. To me this lens seems less sharp on the right side edge and especially in the lower right hand corner, most clearly at 45mm, in the 2nd image.

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
That may be case. Although don't rule out experimental error. It was a bit cold and I was rushing. 😀
Brian

Even though our region has a stay at home order, exercise (hiking) is allowed. We were out super early and had the trail up to ourselves. Exercise was the priority, not photography, so took the lighter body. Still managed enough shots in the morning light to be convinced that it's a keeper - seems quite sharp. Just OOC jpegs. Now the spousal unit wants one too....

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
I'm now slightly conflicted by this lens. My 12-100mm is basically welded to the front of my em-1, I'm beginning to wonder whether to use the 12-45mm and carry my 40-150mm which is sadly under used. I'm perfectly happy with the depth of field at f4 because I rarely need a shallow depth for my photography (primarily landscape). Not an issue at present, of course, being stuck indoors. Just really a pathetic first world dilemma.
Brian

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Even though our region has a stay at home order, exercise (hiking) is allowed. We were out super early and had the trail up to ourselves. Exercise was the priority, not photography, so took the lighter body. Still managed enough shots in the morning light to be convinced that it's a keeper - seems quite sharp. Just OOC jpegs. Now the spousal unit wants one too....
Wonderful images, definitely helps confirm that this lens will make it's way into my bag at some point.

Great images all !! I did not think this would interest me, but judging by the results it will make a fine hiking lens.
Ideally, the 12-45 f/4 Pro can become my primary hiking lens with my E-M5.2. However there is yet to be a firmware release enabling E-M5.2 focus stacking with the lens. I'm hoping for that firmware release, otherwise, for me, using this lens with the E-M5.2 during wildflower season is probably out....

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Who said you can’t blow out the background to a blurry mess with f/4 on MFT?

6EAF7342-3003-4274-8003-C610051B3940.jpeg

No, it didn’t take long for GAS to get the better of me. @ColorBlind’s post convinced me with those out of focus transitions a la the 12-100 PRO. Now I’ve got the 12-45 PRO in hand I’m in love so this is a very fitting subject for my first photo in this thread.

Last edited:

joerg218

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jörg
No, it didn’t take long for GAS to get the better of me. @ColorBlind’s post convinced me with those out of focus transitions a la the 12-100 PRO.
Yeah, the bokeh is very smooth, like the 12-100. I also own the 12-40 2.8, but the bokeh isn't so creamy like the 12-100 bokeh or this new 12-45.
But another "standard" zoom lens, makes it sens for me?!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom