Olympus 12-45/4 Pro lens details

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
More importantly Olympus just announced the first kit featuring the 12-45 (the E-M5.3). With luck it will only be a few more months before they start to see some on the resale market.

Last edited:

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
Oof, that's a bit higher $$$ than I was hoping for the combo for some reason…I mean it's $999 body-only from the big online authorized retailers. Of course, Olympus charges $1400 body-only here in Hong Kong so who knows how their pricing is decided. 🤨

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
It is just that the same email says the lens is shipping tomorrow, and the camera is also available. The lens has been available in Aus for a few weeks, also here from Olympus NZ but as a non-essential they can't fulfil any orders. I can understand if Olympus want to shift the initial batch of lenses at a higher profit margin

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Here in the USA the lens has just started to ship, $649. E-M5 iii bodies are on sale at $999 right now, so the kit discount is only $100. I'm not surprised at all about the bundle announcement.

B&H announced a May 5 ship date.

EDIT: fixed the lens price, which means the discount is even less as long as bodies remain on sale

Last edited:

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
If it helps anyone, I just realised that perhaps the closest comparison for handling would be the Olympus 75mm which is almost identically sized and just over 20% heavier than the 12-45mm PRO.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
It's up on camera size. Maybe not a big deal with my E-M1.2, but it will be nice on my Pen F.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Price drops in the UK from several established retailers (Wex, SRS Microsystems, Clifton Cameras to name a few). Seems to be part of a general 10% off Olympus lenses but makes this lens even more tempting regardless.

Real Name
Jeffrey Behr
Here in the USA the lens has just started to ship, $695. E-M5 iii bodies are on sale at $999 right now, so the kit discount is only $100. I'm not surprised at all about the bundle announcement.
B&H announced a May 5 ship date.
$649 everywhere I looked, and B&H is now quoting April 20 for shipping.. Roberts Camera...
https://robertscamera.com/m-zuiko-digital-ed-12-45mm-f4-pro-lens-black?source=category
...apparently still has at least one. 🙂 Free shipping, no salestax to Arizona, a 1%-purchase-discount-points system, and they accept PayPal so I can pay LATER. :dance3:... :biggrin: ... 😀
They shipped mine this morning to arrive this week, Friday the 10th.

I expect this to be an excellent mid-length lens--highly resolving, light, small--between my excellent Leica 8-18/2.8-4 and Oly 40-150/2.8 and only 3.01 pounds for ALL THREE and with an 18.8:1 ratio from shortest to longest FL.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Better, but I don't know if "significantly" better.
I don't plan on replacing my P 12-60 with it. I like the extra reach to 60mm.
That was the same reason I experimented with a ZD 12-60 SWD. I loved the range and images, but the weight and size were considerably larger than the 12-40 and PL 12-60, especially when you have to consider the adapter too. When I realized that the ZD 12-60 combo was bigger and heavier than the 12-100, that convinced me to replace both my 12-40 Pro and the 12-60 with the 12-100. I love that 12-100, but now that I got an EM5.3, I kinda would like a standard Pro zoom that matched it better. If I didn't sell the 12-40, I probably wouldn't bother considering the 12-45. :)

tkbslc

Super Moderator
If it helps anyone, I just realised that perhaps the closest comparison for handling would be the Olympus 75mm which is almost identically sized and just over 20% heavier than the 12-45mm PRO.
It's also nearly identical in size to the Panasonic 12-60 f3.5-5.6, but the Panasonic is 35g lighter. Not a bad size, but not exactly tiny either.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I’ve also seen a few reports (Red35 on Youtube being one example) saying that the zoom ring was noticeably easier to turn than the other Olympus PRO lenses, whilst still being very smooth. Something that will no doubt please you @ac12

Real Name
Jeffrey Behr
Received it today and got it out to shoot.. I LOVE it! It's light, small, and performs VERY well.. It's now the broad middle of my trio of lenses.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom