Olympus 12-45/4 Pro lens details

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Robin Wong went the extra mile and did a comparison between the 12-45 and 12-40. Interesting.

I was impressed by the quality of bokeh from the 12-45. The bokeh balls were notably smoother and cleaner in the 12-45. They both looked sharp and if there were differences, they were very slight.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran
I was impressed by the quality of bokeh from the 12-45. The bokeh balls were notably smoother and cleaner in the 12-45. They both looked sharp and if there were differences, they were very slight.
I would agree that bokeh quality had the largest impact on IQ in this comparison as the sharpness difference was negligible at best. Olympus has placed more emphasis on the bokeh quality over the past 3 years (since the 12-100) and that shows again with the 12-45.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Well here is a link to the brandnew ePHOTOzine review of the 12-45mm f/4, with, to compare, their review of the 12-40mm f/2.8

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/...ed-12-45mm-f-4-0-pro-review-34599/performance

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-ed-12-40mm-f-2-8-pro-lens-review-24513
While it's not really possible to compare the old versus the new charts, it is interesting that the new lens starts at it's sharpest wide open while the 12-40 f/2.8 is better at one stop down. Or actually two stops at 40mm.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Certainly very interested in this lens, having just sold my 12-40mm Pro. I see B&H say available 7th April for the US. Olympus New Zealand is saying they have stock, but we are in lock down, with couriers only picking up from essential business, so may have to wait a few weeks,

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Two hours after writing the previous post I received a text to say they would send it to me! Excellent service by York Camera Mart.
Brian

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Frankly, given all of the Zuiko glass that I already have, this 12-45 f/4 PRO and the 100-400mm consumer lens on Oly's roadmap may be my final Olympus lens purchases. But everything will have to wait until after the pandemic.

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Same for me, I now have ligtweight (em 5.3) and heavyweight kits (em 1.3). One for walking (or in my case staggering due to a couple of squashed vertebrae) and the other for carrying in the car or round the garden. I have the Pan 100-400mm but will replace it with one of the Olympus long zooms. I need filters for the lightweight kit before I buy anything else lens wise. I bought the 12-45mm as a companion for the em 5.3 for when I don't want the whole lightweight kit with me.
Brian

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Well my lovely 12-45mm turned up this morning. Seems to sit nicely on the em 5.3. I'm limited to house and garden because I'm in the at risk category, in the UK. So inventive photagraphy it is.
Brian

Well my lovely 12-45mm turned up this morning. Seems to sit nicely on the em 5.3. I'm limited to house and garden because I'm in the at risk category, in the UK. So inventive photagraphy it is.
Brian
Do share samples if you have any, because all the samples we've seen so far have been from members of the press, or Olympus Ambassadors, and I'd love to see if the lenses attainable by us mere mortals could measure up to those results.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom