1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 12-40mm used for $792

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Promit, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
  2. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I had one for a week, and it is a very sharp lens. But to be honest, the Panasonic 14-42 ii kit lens is between 90-95% as sharp in the center and in the corners between f5.6 and f8, weighs 135grams, costs about $120 on ebay, focuses faster in all light conditions, and has excellent micro contrast. I use it as a daytime walk around lens and at night on a tripod and get excellent results. It is even sharper than the olympus from f11 to f22 at every focal length.

It isn't weather sealed but you can always buy another one if it breaks. In fact, you can buy 5 more before you come close to even the discounted price of the 12-40...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Agree that the best regular kit lenses can come close to the sharpness of 12-40 at f5.6 and f8. For 12-40 you are paying for f2.8 constant aperture and build quality, and of course, a bit sharper. I have chosen regular kit lenses and primes instead.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Everyone chooses what works for them, but I don't understand comparing a consumer lens that sinks to f/5.6 to a pro build, weather sealed constant f/2.8 zoom. They're not even in the same world. For that matter, why bother with the 14-42 II? The 14-140 II is about as sharp in the comparable range, and gives you an extra 100mm of tele on top.

5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    and center is about 5% of the picture where it's sharp, not even to say that it won't go to 12mm no matter what aperture you set.

6. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    You can take crap photos with the best lens and terrific photos with a kit. For my money, I'll go with light and good enough and spend the extra money on travel.

7. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Lighten up guys! A pro zoom definitely outperforms a kit zoom, there is no argument. I fully understand what the argument is about. The best consumer kit lenses may not necessarily lose out to pro zoom lenses on similar focal lengths and apertures. However, the pro zooms such as a 12-40, as stated, has constant f2.8 aperture, better build and weather sealed; for those who love it, these extra attributes are worth every penny. I'm happy for you. The top kit lenses such as 14-42II and 12-32 offer great value, lighter, and get within shouting distance in performance at smaller apertures. If they do what you want and you don't need the extra coverage and larger aperture, you save money, fantastic. There is no need to defend which ever zoom lenses you own. You paid for what you need.

• Like Like x 5
  8. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    This thread is for posting about deals. It is not for debating the merits of a given lens. Take it somewhere else guys!

• Like Like x 2
  9. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    I agreed, and let's talk about this deal.

Why pay $800 for a used lens with no warranty, when you can get this for $640 directly from Oly certified reconditioned with warranty?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Was not aware. Link?

11. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    >> Why pay $800 for a used lens with no warranty, when you can get this for $640 directly from Oly certified reconditioned with warranty?

I have waited through at least four (4) cycles of refurbs and have never gotten one because by the time I find out about the newest batch they are all gone.

I'll continue to wait, but... I see used lenses being listed routinely for $800.00 and it looks like people are paying that price. At $750.00 used ones appear to fly out the door.

I guess a bird in the hand is worth... $100.00... or perhaps even $142.00 to some. I can certainly afford it. I am just... thrify. Not everyone is (no judgement). Based on my rate of pay I've spent well over the equivilent of $100.00 of my time at the refurb sources looking for one of these. False economy? Illusory Thrift? I could and would make that arguement if I was not so completely comfortable in my parsimony and delayed gratification.

woof!

• Like Like x 4
  12. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Woof - first, there is a lot of marketing hype around the 12-40 being a "PRO" lens that inflates its price. Weather sealing? Light sucks in a downpour and I don't go outside with a camera when its that wet. The E-M! with the P14-42 will put up with normal drippiness no problem. F2.8, yeah its great to shoot sharp and open, but I have five primes that can do that at F1.7 to f2 from 20mm to 100mm.

For me, a light, sharp, cheap, and easy to find kit zoom like the Panasonic 14-42 ii is just fine and if it breaks I don't care because I can buy another one.

13. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    @datagov - What part of the above did you not understand?

Go away from this thread - you aren't saying anything useful. There is a nice thread on the 12-40 in the Native Lenses section - tell us all about the 14-42 there. Not here. Read the forum rules and please abide by them.

@promit - The $640 refurb deals exist but are very hard to get as others mentioned. There is rarely a link that is active for more than a few days on the refurb site and when the link is there it usually just says "out of stock". You can look through some older deal threads to get an idea of the difficulty of getting a refurb! But is possible - I managed to grab one a little over a month ago, was about my third try!

• Like Like x 6
  14. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    For those who want to monitor Olympus Refurbs (or any other) page for changes there is small and free, yet powerful utility WebMon: http://www.cmcode.co.uk/webmon/

• Like Like x 2
  15. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT

Keep an eye out for a 20% discount from Olympus website. They have the promotion once every few months, if you can wait.

16. Huff

Huff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    Mike
    I bought mine new, not refurb for $799. I would never even consider a used on for $792.

17. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    Would love to find the Olympus deal without tax. And as much as I love primes, I have grown tired of swapping lenses every 15 minutes on a walk. And I need the 12mm as 14 doesn't get me what I like to shoot. Patiently waiting for this lens as either a refurb or a new unit for under $700. But with this, you don't have to wait. That's why this is a deal for someone. :)

18. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    First, you are thread-jacking. This is the hot deals section and someone posted a hot deal. If you want to post a comparison of the 14-42 and 12-40, then by all means do so in the appropriate section of the forum.

Second, the 12-40 has a relatively fast aperture of f2.8. Sometimes, only a fast aperture will do. For example, a tripod is not always practical for use with subjects that are in motion.

Third, in my experience, 24mm equivalent is often neccessary when taking pictures of large buildings etc. I won't buy (or recommend) a P&S camera unless it has 24mm equivalent for the wide angle. I learned the hard way that 28mm just doesn't cut it in many situations.

So the 12-40mm may be useful for many people. Obviously, you seem perfectly content with the 14-42mm. By all means post in the Hot Deals section if you see a hot deal on the 14-42mm or post a review of the 14-42 or a comparison of the 14-42 with the 12-40 in the lens section.

• Like Like x 1
  19. sublimesun

sublimesun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    British Columbia
    Matt
    Found myself in the same boat. The time you waste changing lenses in some scenarios the shot is already gone.