1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 12-40mm lens barrel wiggle?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bcaslis, Nov 17, 2013.

1. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    When I first unpacked the lens, the barrel was tight and turning the zoom ring made a squeak (I assume from the weather seals). Now after four days the zoom ring turns looser, no squeak. And the lens barrel is a bit of wiggle notably in the up/down direction. Anyone else's like this? Maybe mine was extra tight when I got it but the wiggle worries me a bit after only four days. Nothing bad for a $200 lens but seems more than I expected. I would be curious to know what other owners are seeing.

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    You paid $200?

3. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    No, I mean barrel wiggle on a $200 lens is expected. On a $1000 lens I'd rather not have it.

4. supmua

supmua Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 15, 2013
    CT
    No wiggle on mine. Got mine 2 weeks ago, haven't used it extensively though.

5. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I checked a lens at my local camera store this morning and it seems to be about the same as my lens. So I guess this is normal.

6. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    Mine has a slight amount of movement but nothing that seems abnormal. No noises like you described on first use. I took this lens out for some testing today with comparisons against my Panny 25mm and Oly 45mm, and believe it or not, it's sharper than both. I may have gotten lucky and received one that is a perfect match for my E-M1.

7. mico1964

mico1964 New to Mu-43

May 12, 2012
    Italy
    Michael
    A bit of barrel wiggle both on my copy and on my brother's one.

8. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    A bit of wiggle on any lens that extends is normal as does my 12-40.

9. highcool

highcool New to Mu-43

Dec 1, 2013
    Olympus 12-40 - Some barrel play when fully extended?

12-40 owners,

When the zoom is fully extended to 40mm, do you notice some slight play in the plastic barrel? The tip moves slightly - probably less than 1mm - and is more apparent left-to-right when mounted (no movement top-bottom). It doesn't have any noticeable effect on the focus but I was wondering if this is considered normal. You can also feel the slight movement when you turn from portrait (+90deg) to portrait (-90deg).

Thanks.

10. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    Normal.

Google keywords like "barrel play lens" along with the lens maker of your choice.

Go enjoy taking photos with it. :)

11. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Just got mine but it seems pretty solid. Maybe a tiny bit of play but its nothing compared to my previous budget Canon zooms.

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Yep, little bit of barrel play. Same as my 24-105L, same as every other zoom lens with an extending barrel (including the 100-400L, though that's a different sort of beast) I've ever used.

13. highcool

highcool New to Mu-43

Dec 1, 2013
    Thanks, all for the responses!

14. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    All lenses with this type of extension barrel will have some amount of play. My six week old 12-40 has lateral deflection of about 0.5mm. It will become larger over time. My 3 year old 4/3 50-200mm is now deflects about 1 mm. It started at 0.5 mm. Note that maximum deflection occurs when full extended. Back off to even 35mm, and things tighten up.

Optically, this deflection affects edge and corner sharpness. The centre will continue to look fine.

Aside from its aluminum outer shell, the 12-40 is mostly plastic. The deflection you are experiencing is one of the tradeoffs you often get when using plastic for critical components. My former metal Nikon lenses with this type of extension (14-24 and 24-70) never deflected even as much as 0.5 mm - when new or after several years.

When someone says plastic lenses are just as good as metal, show them your 12-40.

15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Which piece? The one in your right hand or left hand?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    That hasn't been my experience. Even my Canon 24-70L and Nikkor 24-70 demonstrate a similar amount of movement (albeit very, tiny movement such as 0.5mm or less). Doesn't matter if you're talking about plastic or metal. That's just the way it is when you have a zoom lens that pushes an extension outside the main tube.

17. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Exceptionally funny! :big grin:

Thanks for that one.

18. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Both the lenses you mention:

1. Have metal internal parts (most important)
    2. When plastic is used (24-70L), it is much thicker.

19. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    My Nikon 14-24 or 24-70 had virtually no play. Both are metal lenses. Canon L glass and high-end lenses going back 25 years, have metal internals and plastic externals. Most are pretty tight.

Every plastic lens with plastic internals and extending barrel I have owned had lateral movement. That includes the Olympus 12-40.