Olympus 12-40mm firmware update failure and now the lens will not function. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dane714, Mar 8, 2015.

1. dane714

dane714 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    I was updating the firmware on the 12-40mm lens and there was a power interruption. Now the camera will not recognize the lens at all and the lcd/viewfinder is black. Is there any way to start over installing firmware on the lens? The camera won't even recognize the original firmware any more. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Short question: Does the update software recognise the lens at all at the moment? If so, you could try again. If not, I can't think of another solution except sending it to Olympus to have it fixed.

M.

3. dane714

dane714 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Looks like it's bricked. Update software does not recognize the camera. The firmware selection on the camera recognizes camera firmware 3.0, but no longer recognizes the lens or firmware version at all. Looks like I'm contacting Olympus on Monday. Crap.

4. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Really sorry to hear that.

Can I ask a question - how does one check the firmware of a lens? I have no idea what firmware my lens is.

5. dane714

dane714 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Menu, tools menu, firmware.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

how did you have a "power interruption"?

either way, I agree, you are going to end up replacing some logic board or have it manually flashed at the factory service.

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If the power interruption was of the computer (which shut it down), then Olympus does firmware updates in a stupid, stupid way. Firmware resides in a PROM (Programmable Read Only Memory) and it takes much longer to program a PROM than write to a memory card or the memory buffer in the camera. If the data transfer from the computer in interrupted while programing a lens or camera can get bricked. Dumb.

This is why every other manufacturer stores the new firmware on a memory card first. When the update is done from a card in the camera, the camera can first check the battery level to make sure the battery is adequately charged and run a check sum on the firmware load to make sure it's not corrupted. Yes, it requires more than just plugging the camera into the computer via a cable, but it's much more reliable.

I may start using a laptop to update firmware since it will keep running even if the mains glitch.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While I agree that firmware from a card is safer, can you think of another system were you can update firmware across manufacturers? I can plug my E-M10 with a Panasonic lens mounted and the utility will identify the lens, check for updates, and update the lens if needed. So yes maybe in one way dumb, but in another, not so much.

• Like Like x 1
  9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Like Like x 1
  10. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/fourthirds_olylens.cfm
    Download the firmware file for the 12-40mm and unzip it, it will need to be renamed for the camera to recognize it... I *think* the right name is L10191001.bin however I don't know that the version numbering is correct, normally the version number doesn't need to be correct as long as the model matches what the camera sees attached to it (easily proven as you can use it to downgrade body firmware using the current version number, however I don't know how it handles lenses).
    Create a folder on an SD card called DCOLYMP and place the file inside it.
    Put the card in the camera and hold the OK button, turn the camera on.
    Wait for the red light to stop flashing, turn it off and back on again.

No clue if it will work, there is an element of risk to it... however it might be worth a go.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I know about updating from the SD card; that's how I updated my E-M1. Too bad Olympus doesn't have camera firmware listings on their site for direct download.

Easy cable updates aren't so easy when it bricks your gear. The update process could be revised so that it requires a card in the camera to hold the firmware for the actual update.

12. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Update the firmware from OV3 using laptop with full battery can avoid power interruption.

13. dane714

dane714 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Well it turns out the lens did get bricked. Fortunately I had exactly 1 week left on the warranty, so Olympus has it now.

14. dane714

dane714 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Got my lens back from Olympus today. Good as new with the new firmware installed. 10 days mailbox to mailbox. Not bad.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. daanh

daanh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2010
    That's nice. What is better on the updated 12-40?

16. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Less/no flicker when zooming in and out as the aperture adjusts to remain constant.