1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 Pro - Lee Seven5 vs 100mm filter system

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Enterkine, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Enterkine

Enterkine New to Mu-43

Jan 17, 2015
    I'm loving my new EM-1 and 12-40mm f2.8 PRO. I'm just back from a Landscape workshop and I'm really keen to buy into a filter system for ND Standard and hard grads.

So far I've read conflicting reviews ...

Some say that Lee Seven5 filters are too short for some (unspecified) larger diameter mu-43 lenses.
    Others say that the grad line on 100mm filters does not suit mu-43 lenses.

At times I will be wanting to use either 2 filters or 1 filter plus CPL simultaneously and avoid vignetting at the 12mm end.

I'd be grateful to anyone who can help!

Thanks.

2. getoutandshoot

getoutandshoot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    SF Bay area, CA
    Dave
    I would try to get a filter holder that is a few millimeters wider on each side than the widest lens that you anticipate ever using. I started with the Cokin P system (84mm wide) which worked pretty well with lenses having a filter diameter up to 77mm with my Nikon DSLR system. However I've now moved to larger Lee standard system (100mm wide), which makes it a little easier to stack filters on a lens with 77mm filters. It looks like the Lee Seven5 system filters are 75mm wide, so I would think that system would work fine for your 12-40mm f/2.8 lens (62mm threads), and with most mu4/3 lenses. The new wide angle Voigtlander Nokton 10.5mm lens has 72mm threads. They do make a Seven5 adapter ring for 72mm, but if you think you will ever go that wide I would choose a larger system.

Stacking 2 filters or 1 filter plus CPL and having no vignetting at the 12mm wide end may be tough regardless. Hopefully someone will answer who has actually tried this.

--Dave

P.S. In general I would be inclined to agree that the smaller size filters are likely to have a graduation that is better suited to smaller lenses. Graduated neutral density filters come in many varieties. You may find a 100mm "hard" graduation is closer to "soft" when used on a small lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Enterkine

Enterkine New to Mu-43

Jan 17, 2015
    Thanks Dave.

Whilst I don't do much telephoto work at the moment I cannot rule out getting the 40-150 f2.8 at some stage so perhaps the Seven5 is not the answer.

Hitech do an 85mm system with a good range of filters. I am somewhat wary though, having experienced an unpleasant colour cast on a 100mm Hitech 1.2ND solid filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.