1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 Pro - Lee Seven5 vs 100mm filter system

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Enterkine, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Enterkine

Enterkine New to Mu-43

Jan 17, 2015
    I'm loving my new EM-1 and 12-40mm f2.8 PRO. I'm just back from a Landscape workshop and I'm really keen to buy into a filter system for ND Standard and hard grads.

So far I've read conflicting reviews ...

Some say that Lee Seven5 filters are too short for some (unspecified) larger diameter mu-43 lenses.
    Others say that the grad line on 100mm filters does not suit mu-43 lenses.

At times I will be wanting to use either 2 filters or 1 filter plus CPL simultaneously and avoid vignetting at the 12mm end.

I'd be grateful to anyone who can help!

Thanks.

2. getoutandshoot

getoutandshoot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I would try to get a filter holder that is a few millimeters wider on each side than the widest lens that you anticipate ever using. I started with the Cokin P system (84mm wide) which worked pretty well with lenses having a filter diameter up to 77mm with my Nikon DSLR system. However I've now moved to larger Lee standard system (100mm wide), which makes it a little easier to stack filters on a lens with 77mm filters. It looks like the Lee Seven5 system filters are 75mm wide, so I would think that system would work fine for your 12-40mm f/2.8 lens (62mm threads), and with most mu4/3 lenses. The new wide angle Voigtlander Nokton 10.5mm lens has 72mm threads. They do make a Seven5 adapter ring for 72mm, but if you think you will ever go that wide I would choose a larger system.

Stacking 2 filters or 1 filter plus CPL and having no vignetting at the 12mm wide end may be tough regardless. Hopefully someone will answer who has actually tried this.

--Dave

P.S. In general I would be inclined to agree that the smaller size filters are likely to have a graduation that is better suited to smaller lenses. Graduated neutral density filters come in many varieties. You may find a 100mm "hard" graduation is closer to "soft" when used on a small lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Enterkine

Enterkine New to Mu-43

Jan 17, 2015
    Thanks Dave.

Whilst I don't do much telephoto work at the moment I cannot rule out getting the 40-150 f2.8 at some stage so perhaps the Seven5 is not the answer.

Hitech do an 85mm system with a good range of filters. I am somewhat wary though, having experienced an unpleasant colour cast on a 100mm Hitech 1.2ND solid filter.