Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 Review Published at Tim Ashley Photography

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Here's are Tim Ashley's reviews of three lenses which a lot of people consider to be perfect or nearly perfect:
    If you read those reviews, you'll quickly learn that Tim Ashley is one of the most demanding lens reviewers you will ever find. You may also notice the conspicuous lack of affiliate links or advertisements of any kind on Tim's site.

With that out of the way, here is Tim's review of the Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO lens:

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2013/11/olympus-12-40mm-f2-8-pro-m-zuiko-review-the-hammer

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 19
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I saw some of Tim's comments early at GetDPI. Very encouraging to see the review - particularly in light of his experiences with the Nikon 24-70/2.8 and 24-120/4 which give a good frame of reference (particularly for my uses, as I have probably 20k frames between those two lenses).

3. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    I as well saw his comments yesterday on get dpi. Very excited to get this lens. No regrets getting rid of my 12/2 for it :)

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I am not normally a proponent of zoom lenses but this may be the one that can pry the primes off of my camera if it can live up to this review. I look forward to hearing the fellow forumites reviews and impressions.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I saw that thread too and was keeping an eye out for the review. Especially after he wrote this:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    OK, Amin, so which of the children are you gonna pawn? Clearly not the new one! :biggrin:

I didn't realize until just recently that this lens has the manual focus clutch ring of the 12 and 17mm primes. For me, this is huge! I'm not a zoom shooter either - almost rabidly a prime only guy - but this one might be worth having - I might even find myself using it! Looks really impressive...

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  7. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Well, after reading the blog, I'm lost. I've been wondering whether to buy OM-D E-M1 with the zoom or not. And now everything sensible is gone from my mind. I just have to have this camera also for its weather sealing and zoom combo :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I, too, have been interested in both the lens and body. But, the gain in IQ from my current set-up just does not seem to justify $2,200 USD on my photo budget. You seem to have a nice current set-up, so you may want to ask yourself what you are actually getting other than a new body and lens if your budget is limited.

--Ken

9. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    Tim says to buy the EM-1 and the 12-40.:confused:
    Does this mean it doesn't work as well on the EM-5?
    I sure hope that isn't the case. :mad:
    What do you think?
    Dave

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm sure it does, but it might be one of the few lenses that can fully take advantage of the detail available with the EM1's lack of AA filter. So it will probably bring out the best of the EM5, but it might take the EM1 to bring out the best of the lens.

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  11. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Unfortunately that "detail" that is missing from m4/3 with regards to landscape is still missing according to him - due to the size of the sensor. So I would say this lens will do fine with the em5

12. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    This is one of the critical sentences of this review.

If you have a look at the 12-40 vs 12-60 comparison here:

12-40 vs 12-60

You may notice that there is more selective sharpening being applied to the 12-40 images than the 12-60. I suspect that the output of the lens has a lot to do with the lens camera combo.

I would really like to see a comparison of the 12-60 and the 12-40 on the OM-D E-M5.

13. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Good call and, frankly, a most interesting insight.

Now checking all files furiously.

14. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    The hammer... I like that nickname.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I very seriously doubt that. The difference between a light AA filter and no AA filter is awfully small, as D800 and D800E users have repeatedly demonstrated. And the E-M5's AA filter is quite light.

16. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    another awesome review which i enjoyed reading. I am psyched to get this lens! i was having second thoughts on trading my 12/2 for it. but after this review and some others i have no regrets!. local brick and mortar store says they will have the lens next week!!!

I cant tell you how many times i wish i had a zoom while on travel! switching lenses gets irritating!! now i can have a zoom that gives me prime or better results!

17. Petrus61

Petrus61 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    London
    I picked mine up on Saturday and went for a quick walk on sunday with the EM1 - looking at the results - very impressed - corner to corner sharp.

18. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    thanks for posting pictures of it :eek::frown::redface::mad::confused::wink::tongue:

19. Petrus61

Petrus61 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    London
    Sorry - would love to but gave up trying to post pics to the forum last year - could never get anything to come out correctly sized. took nigh on 30,000 pics with em5 now onto em1

20. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Now if the lens was only acquirable! I preordered from Amazon a day or two after announcement and just got an update from them saying December 11! That's 9 days after the rebate runs out :( I hope Olympus updates the rebate due to the shortages.