1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Showcase Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by graben, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    I was just thinking exactly the opposite. I think the bokeh is superb, especially on the shot of the blueberries! From what I've seen online this lens definitely lives up to the "PRO" designation. There are no apologies needed for anything!

If you wanna see crappy bokeh check out the Panny 12-35.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    The bokeh when the lens is near it's minimum focus distance is actually pretty good but when that's not the case and there's a little distance between subject and background it looks somewhat distracting to me.
    Overall the performance of this lens looks great though and I plan on picking one up at some point in the future.

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I would love to see the same scene shot with the 12-40 first on the E-M1 and then the E-M5.

I would really like to know how much of the 12-40's performance is assisted by software.

4. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    I had the 12-35 and now have the 12-40, and I find no real difference in sharpness but I'm no expert.

I was impressed by the 12-35 and am impressed by the 12-40 as well in so far as sharpness goes. They are both bloody great lenses.

The 12-40 can focus so close ... the only real difference as far as I can tell. The better weather sealing is also a bonus.

Sure, when more sites like Photozone & Lenstip measure the actual results, one may be sharper than the other, but in really world use there doesn't seem like much in it.

The 12-40 seems to focus a tiny bit faster as well.

• Like Like x 4
  5. In what way does the Olympus one have better weather sealing? Neither have official IPx ratings so it's a bit hard to be certain...

6. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    Respectfully, I can't agree with you at all on this. At closer distances, I find the 12-40 better, but when there is a bit of distance between the subject and the background, I'm finding the 12-35 was better. The 12-40 seems to get nervous quicker.

Saying that, I really haven't spent enough time with the lens yet to stand by this ... it may just be the background in the images I've taken with the 12-40 so far ... not sure.

I wish I'd kept the 12-35 for a little bit longer so I could of tested them side by side, but someone offered me a great price for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    Yes, for sure. No real way to tell.

I guess it's just the videos I see of it under the shower and and in the wet that give me more confidence using the E-M1 & 12-40 in harsher conditions that the GH3 & 12-35.

But you are right ... who knows really !!

8. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    have not had a chance to go outside with the lens yet.
    SOOC JPEG No sharpening
    lens cap SOOC.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RAW File Sharp +25 (default in lightroom, and +1.0 Exposure)
    raw file 25 sharp 1024-1.jpg

sample full-1.jpg

100 crops from center
    RAW No sharpening in lr5
    100 crop RAW no sharp-1.jpg

JPEG S (0) C (0) In-Camera settings
    100 crop.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  9. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Imo this lens unequivocably produces sharper images and has better rendering than the 12-35, although it's not like the latter is a slouch! But given that this lens is cheaper, has a better zoom range(the difference between 35mm and 40mm is substantial, imo), and handles better, it's definitely the go to choice for olympus folk, unless they're really looking to minimize size as much as possible.

10. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    How would you say this is against the 12mm f2 prime?

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 All-Pro

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'd love to get some seat time with this lens to compare, but I'm not seeing the punch that I'd expect, given so many slamdunks in Olympus' current lineup.

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    My impression of the lens is that it is actually very sharp with good contrast. Not quite 75/1.8 sharp, but certainly not far behind (to my eyes, at least). It definitely has the signature micro-contrast of the recent Olympus lenses. However, since this is not a lens test thread, the shots that I posted earlier were actually quite heavily processed. I reduced contrast and saturation to mimic a film texture. The original shots definitely had more pop to them.

13. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Empire State Building / 6th Ave / NYC

my first image w/ the 12-40 (photographed 5 minutes after picking it up...)

[​IMG]"1224" height="833" alt="Empire / 6th Ave / NYC"></a>[/IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  14. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    And I would say perfect timing for picking it up. I love sun hitting the top of the building there and the other buildings are darker.

• Like Like x 1
  15. cdo221

cdo221 Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    Thanks for all the samples, keep them coming! This lens looks superb at f/2.8. Can't wait for my copy!

Anybody have samples and crops at at narrow apertures, like f11 and smaller? I'm curious how much softness diffraction will introduce with this lens.

16. qbkami

qbkami New to Mu-43

Nov 7, 2013
    Australia
    Quang Bui
    Very friendly Labrador :smile:
    UDkAUAg.jpg

Shot through a fly netting screen. Hence the horizontal imperfections in the sky
    uscGSSk.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    So I looked at some more bokeh photos from the 12-35 (never shot it myself) and I retract my comments that it's "crappy." Still, the bokeh (usually with busy backgrounds with medium distance subjects) from the 12-35 have that weird double-image appearance that seem to give me a headache. On the photos I've seen, the Oly does not have this problem.

18. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I, too, should be interested in the answer to this question.

19. wuju

wuju Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 28, 2013
    Me Threee

I would like to know if the 12-40 can replace the 12mm F2.0

20. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Come on guys... The 12mm is a prime lens with a maximum aperture that is a full stop faster than the new Oly zoom! That alone should answer whether or not the f/2.8 12-40 is a compatible replacement... I don't own the 12mm, but do have the 14 and all I can say is there's nothing like the size and speed of a little tiny prime lens... While the 12-40 is turning out to be a superb lens for me, it's a beast size-wise in comparison to the TINY Pany 14.

just my 2 sense...

w

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.