Showcase Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO

darosk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Daros
Yeah, I'm interested to see what folks here can pull off with it. This is the first time in a long time that I've been interested in a zoom lens, being a strictly prime guy for many years (apart from a brief fling with a 24-105 f/4 when on vacation). The focal range sounds just perfect for me.

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not one picture so far? Must be so good, that people just can't stop taking pictures. Eventually someone has to run out of battery power! :biggrin:

lombardispot

Mu-43 Regular
f2.8, 1/160, ISO 400, SOOC JPEG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one uses the included flash in auto. If you click the photo, you will be taken to Smugmug and you can view the original size. Notice the detail in the eyes. And this is ISO 400, handheld, in evening light.
f3.2, 1/80, ISO 400, SOOC JPEG

lombardispot

Mu-43 Regular
Wow. I guess there's lots of people hungry to look at 12-40 pics! My Smugmug stats say 1362 photos viewed in my EM-1 gallery since this morning! The photos aren't that great, so I won't let it get to my head. ;) But it is impressive how many people are interested in seeing photos from this lens. And I didn't expect so much traffic considering no comments. I'll be going on a beach camping trip this weekend, so I'll be glad to have moisture protection.

bipinsnair

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bipin Nair
Just picked up mine this noon and here are some initial shots I did around my home.
These are all out of camera jpegs and not edited in any way. Just resized on export from lightroom.
Please excuse the subjects and composition etc. These are just snapshots I took during lunch. Can't take much time out from from work to go out and shoot. I was looking for pics from this lens and cannot find much online yet. So, I just wanted to let this out for people who are looking to see some.

All of them shot with OM-D E-M5

bipinsnair

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bipin Nair
Here is some more..

I am not someone who likes to do manual focus, but just did one to see how it works on this.
It was really easy to do manual focus. The clutch on the lens allows easy access to manual focus and the focusing was easy even without the keyline filter hacked focus peeking or magnify on E-M5. Only the first shot below is manual focus.
Again, all with E-M5 and out of camera jpegs.

BeyondTheLines

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Patrick
Finally! I've been waiting to see this thread grow. I'm very interested in this lens so thank you guys for contributing. The original size files look great for a zoom, can't wait to see more :2thumbs:

That bokeh is ridiculous(ly awesome).
I was just thinking that I don't like it all that much :blush: It looks a bit busy to me but not bad for a zoom.

deang001

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dean
I never imagined the bokeh to be so good @2.8 on a micro four third sensor. But even at 12 mm, on close focusing, the bokeh is just superb.
I think so too. It's about as good as it gets on an M43 standard zoom. Up close it's very creamy. Little bit nervous at times, but it's so situationally dependant.

hkpzee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Patrick
Life's been pretty hectic since I got my E-M1 and 12-40/2.8 couple weeks ago. With the limited time I had to play with the new camera, my initial times were spent with 4/3 lenses, or testing out the C-AF & tracking features. Finally got around to taking the 12-40/2.8 combo out for some light workout during lunch today. Nothing special about these images, but just a few random shots taken near the Central Pier. The lens, on the other hand, IS special. It feels great in the hand, and outputs are sharp and with nice contrast! Didn't need to do much processing with these images. Just played around with the color tone and saturation to mimic movie color...

The rest of the album could be found here, with the other shots taken by the 75/1.8: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108510617038243923009/albums/5943166076993486513

hodad66

Mu-43 Top Veteran
after looking at the 12-35mm/F2.8 thread there is one question that I have.
Is it just me but my first impression was WOW those are really sharp. I don't
get the same impression looking these over. Don't get me wrong, they are
excellent examples but I'm not saying WOW.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom