1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 12-40mm Defective Lens Mount

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jh404, Mar 9, 2014.

1. jh404

jh404 New to Mu-43

Apr 28, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I took advantage of the refurbished Oly 12-40mm deal earlier and just took delivery of it. Unfortunately, the lens mount is loose and wobbly. Anyone have similar problem?

First photo taken with Oly 12-40
    Second photo taken with Pan 14mm
    Video shows the problem

http://jonathanho.smugmug.com/Olympus-12-40

2. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    They should swap that out for you.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yup. Send it back tomorrow. They should either swap it out or fix it. Just curious: is the mount loose on the lens or loose in the way it fits on the body?

Edit: Never mind. I looked at the video. :eek:

4. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Clearly the broken mount. https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=57700

Can believe that Olympus sells the broken as refurbished

5. jh404

jh404 New to Mu-43

Apr 28, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. After some research, this does indeed seem to be a fairly common problem.

Unfortunately, the Olympus store advised me that as they do not have stock of that item, I should send it in for repair. I've since emailed Olympus repair and hopefully this would be rectified fairly soon.

6. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Jot down the serial number before you send it in to see if they will repair it or replace it.
    Rudy

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I find this amazing. It's as if it was returned because of a broken mount and they forgot to fix it before selling it as refurbished. I'm a big user of refurb equipment and my refurb EM5 had to go back to have most of it's innards replaced. Still, your lens is so obviously broken.

Edit: let me amend this. I don't know if the initial problem was a broken mount. of course, that would mean that Olympus actually broke it.

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Olympus Canada, not Olympus. This is a distinction with a profound difference: repairs and refurbished sales are done by region's distribution company.

9. jh404

jh404 New to Mu-43

Apr 28, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Thanks again for your advice, everyone. Have noted the serial number as suggested. And it was in fact Olympus USA as the lens was purchased through getolympus.com.

Have had everything documented and clarified with Olympus Repairs now. Should be sending the lens in tomorrow and hopefully all goes well.

10. jh404

jh404 New to Mu-43

Apr 28, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just wanted to provide an update. Although it was quite disappointing receiving a defective lens, the repair experience was great. Lens was sent to Oly repair Mar 14, confirmation of receipt received on Mar 17, lens shipped from Oly repair Mar 20, and lens received Mar 24.

I'm still undecided whether to keep the lens or give the Pan 12-35 a go. Will probably need some extensive shooting with the Oly to regain my confidence after such an experience. Sure doesn't help reading those similar stories online.

11. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I guess you received the one of the only two lenses in the world with this problem according to Oly representatives!

12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    theres no need to post the same thing in three different threads...

If you bought the lens from australia, you might need to send it back to australia for warranty purposes. Where do you live now? Unfortunately olympus's worldwide warranty isn't acutally 'world-wide'. One of the downsides of buying overseas/grey market.

You need to escalate the issue with olympus. Let us know how it goes.

13. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Did Olympus repair it or exchange it? They should exchange it rather than fix it as you received a broken mount.

14. jh404

jh404 New to Mu-43

Apr 28, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    They repaired it as Olympus store (getolympus.com) stated that they do not have stock and suggested me to send it for repair. The serial number also matches pre vs post repair (thanks to Rudy for the advice); so it's certainly the same lens. My sense is that refurbished means repaired most of the time anyways - so I didn't pursue any further with Oly.

15. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    I do not have good experience in the Olympus refurbished product either. I bought an EM1, but what I received had stain on the sensor(looks like fungus). This led me feel Olympus do not perform as careful inspection as they say on the refurbished things before selling them. I ended up paying difference to exchange for a new one.

I also exchanged one brand-new 75mm due to a scratch on an internal element and most like that lens went to the refurbished market without being repaired.