Olympus 12-40 Ouch!

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
At the risk of serving as an echo chamber, I agree. Look at it from the other side, too - if something goes wrong, you've probably still got ~10 months of warranty in place?

dolbydunn

Mu-43 Regular
Yesterday, my GX7 & Leica 25mm f1.4 w/shade toppled off of the bed and onto a hardwood floor. A sickening clatter, (almost heart stoppingly so), yet no damage, (either appearance or functionality ). Of course, I can't prove that there is NO damage, I don't have the instrumentation to certify that. I can only say that the lens mount is tight and rigid, and that the auto-focus is still quick and apparently accurate. I got lucky.

Here is what I deduced from my experience:
* NEVER set your camera on a bed.
* ALWAYS have the lens shade on the lens. My shade was in place; it's plasticity absorbed the lens' share of the impact.
* The more massive the camera & lens, the greater the odds for serious damage by impact.
* You might get lucky.

F/Stop

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Y.
I am not sure that others have seen my post (since it got moved to the "back room" regarding my lens being sent back after i took it apart and lost a screw and washer.

Olympus actually REPLACED my lens with a new one. The lens could have been fixed easily and that was all that i asked. But once i opened the box it was a brand new 12-40 lens....

I guess this means that Olympus took preventitive action in replacing my lens with possible a counter-measured lens thus reducing the chance for me to send it back again.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well, there is mention of another mount issue at 43rumors this morning.

--Ken
I saw that one Ken, but honestly, I question if that one is a troll. I haven't doubted any of the other posts, but the conversation with the tech seemed fishy. So far we have had no official response from Olympus, but some anonymous tech is acknowledging the issue and giving status updates on a possible fix? It's possible I suppose, but that one I take with a grain of salt.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I saw that one Ken, but honestly, I question if that one is a troll. I haven't doubted any of the other posts, but the conversation with the tech seemed fishy. So far we have had no official response from Olympus, but some anonymous tech is acknowledging the issue and giving status updates on a possible fix? It's possible I suppose, but that one I take with a grain of salt.
It is possible, especially given the level of discussion on their comment sections. I have an interest in this lens, but as I am in no hurry, I am going to wait a bit until things get sorted out and Olympus issues some type of response.

--Ken

G

gohunter

Well, a few years ago, I had a similar problem with a Nikon D90. I was doing wedding photography and had used 2 x Fujifilm S5 Pros for years with Sigma lenses. I always take good care of my kit, but in the world of wedding photography, they has experienced the odd knock, even drop onto a stone church floor when I slipped resulted in no apparent damage.

I bought the D90 and a few weeks later, my Lowepro rucksack containing the camera fell out of the back of the car as I opened the tailgate. It must have fallen just over a foot, and landed on my foot, so it had a soft landing onto my trainers. It was well padded so I thought nothing of it. When I opened it the bag several hours later, the screen of the D90 was well and truly broken. I was shocked that this could have happened so easily. I sent it to Nikon with a fairly strong worded letter stating that I did not expect such a camera to be so fragile. They promptly charged me around £140 to repair it and took several weeks to return it. When returned, I promptly sold it on eBay and have never bought another Nikon piece of kit since!

On the other hand, last year my Fujifilm X10 suddenly stopped focussing when it was well out of warranty. I sent it to Fujifilm UK and they repaired it free of charge and had it back with me on the 6th day after I posted it to them. Guess which manufacturer I prefer?

Regards,

Gordon

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
Well, a few years ago, I had a similar problem with a Nikon D90...Gordon
Hi Gordon!

I had the opposite experience with Nikon. I was out at an airshow shoot and got bowled over by a "plus" sized lady who was apparently looking one way and trotting another.

I got blindsided and went spout-over-tea-kettle and my D300/70-200 f/2.8 combination hit the ground. The camera was fine but the aperture in the lens was broken and the housing suffered some small amount of damage.

I sent it in to Nikon, received it back a few days later and they covered the repair under warranty :thumbup:. Obviously I was expecting a bill - there's no way that the damage was Nikon's fault.

Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe because the 70/200mm f/2.8 is considered a "pro" lens???

I dunno - but I'm fond of Nikon gear. If they had gone into :43: in a big way I'd still be shooting their brand. Only the size/weight of their gear forced me to make a move due to my advanced age :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

mister_roboto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dennis
Here is what I deduced from my experience:
* NEVER set your camera on a bed.
* ALWAYS have the lens shade on the lens. My shade was in place; it's plasticity absorbed the lens' share of the impact.
* The more massive the camera & lens, the greater the odds for serious damage by impact.
* You might get lucky.
I dunno I dropped a Bronica 6X6 off of the top of a ladder once, I think it fell about 10'. Pretty sure the floor had more damage than the camera :wink:

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
It would be nice to get some kind of official statement from Olympus if they've really changed the lens in some way, but that's probably expecting too much. :frown:

I am not sure that others have seen my post (since it got moved to the "back room" regarding my lens being sent back after i took it apart and lost a screw and washer.

Olympus actually REPLACED my lens with a new one. The lens could have been fixed easily and that was all that i asked. But once i opened the box it was a brand new 12-40 lens....

I guess this means that Olympus took preventitive action in replacing my lens with possible a counter-measured lens thus reducing the chance for me to send it back again.

Stefan_SS

Mu-43 Regular
I have to admit that this issue has me a bit freaked out too. Yeah, I also own the 12-40 and feel it is a world-class lens optically. I carry mine around all day in a little bag with a few other lenses. Most of the time it's attached to an E-M1 or E-M5. I'm careful with my gear, but don't "baby" it in anyway. That said, my gear gets a thorough workout and it's not uncommon for me to shoot several hundred frames daily... KNOCK ON WOOD, but my lens (among the first in NYC) has worked out flawlessly thus far. Okay, so what am I getting at?!? Well, when not in use, my camera is positioned in the bag camera body / lens pointing down into the bag (so that the camera body is "sitting" on top of the lens). In this position, the lens is not prone to any horizontal pressure with it mounted to the camera body... I'm wondering how other 12-40 owners keep theirs when not in use?!? :confused:
Hi!

I carry my EM-1 just the same way, lens pointing down in a triangular tamrac bag.

Cheers!

Stefan_SS

Mu-43 Regular
Hi again!

Just wanted to report back. I will get a new lens from the shop instead of the repaired one.
I have also spoken to a very nice fellow at Olympus in Sweden yesterday and asked him about some of my concerns. He forwarded these questions to the technichians in tjekia who had my lens for repair. They in turn asked back to Olympus, if I understood correctly, and today I was contacted with some answers.

- Olympus have changed the entire inner tube with the fastenings (what is it called in english?). Se page 53 in this thread.
- The tech guys tells me the sparepart is exactly the same kind/mold as the original one.
- Olympus view is that the lens is built to spec. I´m not sure what the guy mean by that but I guess they feel it lives up to their quality requirements.
- As of now there are no plans to change the construction, material or mold or the dimensioning of the fastening. (Although I didn´t think they would actually tell me otherwise.)
- The number of lenses affected this way is insignificant by their count and is not deemed important. They have sold loads of this lens and my lens was the first the tech supervisor in Sweden have heard of that broke like this. ( I pointed him to this thread by the way).
- Olympus position in this is that they will keep repairing the lens as long as it is during the two year warrany period for free, but only if the lens is otherwise unscratched. If it seem to them that the lens has been banged into things and look dented they will not make repairs under the warranty.
- The repair does not affect the initial 2 year warranty.

So there you have it. I will collect my new lens, register it with Olympus to get the 2 year warranty and go out shooting and not look back. Too much of my time this holiday have been focused on rather negative feelings about this. It´s time to create some pictures and I hope this will be the right tool. I loved the results I got from the first lens.

I have found a lot of inspiration in this forum both from this thread and from other excellent posts. I wish 2014 will great for all of you!

Cheers!

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
- Olympus view is that the lens is built to spec.

The industry definition of this is that the lens was built to its as designed specifications/documentation. This would include all the engineering drawings, assembly & test procedures and applicable company manufacturing and quality control documents.

boomer

New to Mu-43
"register it with Olympus to get the 2 year warranty" - that's new to me

shnurben

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Robert Strickland
Well no reply from Olympus ? It's been 5 or so months since the problem of the Mount screws and the 12-40 lens.
Does anyone have any more information about what may be simple accidental events, or perhaps a Factory overwhelmed
by the Corporate Mistakes of the Olympus corporation. Shnurben, a prime lens guy, whose wife wants a zoom.

shnurben

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Robert Strickland
Thank You for this. i need to save $ first.- But will get this lens for her: and make sure she treats w respect. The Image thread for the OLY zoom is just simply stunning. Robert

Stefan_SS

Mu-43 Regular
Hi!

I am one of the unlucky ones (see page 24) but my new lens is working flawlessly and produces absolutely fantastic pictures! I have shot wedding shots with it, portrait and landscape with it and in all of these situations I have only been pleased with the results. This lens with EM-1 or EM-5 and the Capture One Pro 7 RAW-converter is a killer combo. I also shoot a lot of macro with the lens because it is that good. My loved 60 mm Macro is rarely out of the camerabag these days.
The only thing, barely worth mentioning, is that it is a wee bit heavy compared to a pair of Olympus primes, but if you only buy one lens for her, this IS the one to get.

Cheers!

Stefan

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just FYI:
I've had my EM1 and 12-40mm for about 6 months now, and have subjected the combo to the following abuse:
Dropped in snow from a few feet up
Dropped off a tripod onto a rug from a few feet up
Tossed around in an unpadded messenger bag multiple times
Shot directly into the mist of a nearby waterfall, haven't tested the weather sealing more extensively than that but the front element was completely soaked.
Smacked the lens directly on multiple occasions to see if it would break (better it breaks in my hand, sitting in my living room than out shooting).

No issues what so ever.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom