Olympus 12-40 Ouch!

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Why do you need to qualify it like this? Do you have a bet with someone that the Oly is better built? Do you loose sleep if you think others think less of Oly then you do? Did you buy one and now the only thing that matters is you don't have an asterisks next to one of your pieces of gear? To late for that by the way. Short of Oly coming out with a version II that addresses this issue I can't see me ever buying one. If the plastic posts are weak, it's only a matter of time before more start to pop up with the problem. I've seen this sort of thing happen before and the plastic will only get more brittle over the years and there will be more failures is my guess.

Why wouldn't it be OK if they both have equally great build quality in the end? I for one don't wish other peoples equipment to fail faster then mine does, and I'm not sure why any moral person would.
I'm sorry in a friendly forum, but unless you have evidence of flaws in the Panasonic build, you should never have written that.

You guys need to relax. Seriously. Did you even read my whole post? Because you seem to be focusing on an incidental fragment of my post that was completely unrelated to any point I was making.

I hope every new release is better than what came before. I hope all the people who bought one of these and are worried about its quality ends up with a spectacular, rugged, and durable lens. That is why I said that. That's the only reason. The lens they just spent $1099 on seems to have some quality issues. That has to suck. I hope they end up pleased with their purchase in every possible way. Do you really think I'm hoping your gear fails before mine? Is this truly a moral issue for you? I'm not disparaging Panasonic, In my post (you should have read the whole thing) I acknowledge the 12-35s record of durability, and if anything, I'm kind of a Panasonic fan boy. And guess what? I don't own the 12-40.

What is it about a lens with some early quality control issues that is making people act crazy?

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Yes, I read your whole post. That is why its last sentence was such an unpleasant surprise, coming out of the blue. It clearly implies a durability issue with the Lumix 12-35 f2.8, that you hope the Oly will exceed.

It now appears that you simply wrote poorly. It appears that you meant to write "my hope that in the long run this lens will prove to have greater durability, like its Lumix counterpart", or "my hope that in the long run this lens will prove to have the greater durability of its Lumix counterpart", or "my hope that in the long run this lens will prove to have greater durability to match its Lumix counterpart". Perhaps you simply meant to write "my hope that in the long run this lens will prove to have greater durability.".

But I write conjecture: at the moment your post reads like it reads.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, I read your whole post. That is why its last sentence was such an unpleasant surprise, coming out of the blue. It clearly implies a durability issue with the Lumix 12-35 f2.8, that you hope the Oly will exceed.

It now appears that you simply wrote poorly. It appears that you meant to write "my hope that in the long run this lens will prove to have greater durability, like its Lumix counterpart", or "my hope that in the long run this lens will prove to have the greater durability of its Lumix counterpart", or "my hope that in the long run this lens will prove to have greater durability to match its Lumix counterpart". Perhaps you simply meant to write "my hope that in the long run this lens will prove to have greater durability.".

But I write conjecture: at the moment your post reads like it reads.

You guys need to relax. Seriously.
I hope every new release is better than what came before.
friendly forum

I won't be responding further

lombardispot

Mu-43 Regular
Reminds me of when I posted on Facebook that the only reason I come to Alabama is because of my wife. Some people interpreted that to mean that Alabama sucks but I come for my wife. Wrong! I just meant that I come because I married someone from Alabama. Otherwise I would not have come just out of my own curiosity. I actually like Alabama in any ways now that I have visited several times.

But people tend to think the worst of what you say. Human nature to think the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Agree lombardi, we have to write carefully to avoid being misinterpreted. If multiple people read it the 'other way', the writer is responsible. The Pany 12-35 f2.8 apparently has no question mark on its durability at all. But that only became clear after a couple of readers (me included) helped to clarify the writing.

Back on topic, has anyone found any more reports of failing 12-40 Olys?

dolbydunn

Mu-43 Regular
Is it possible that the zealotry which characterizes much of this forum, (and others), stems from placing too much "Faith" in some manufacturing company and it's gadgets? If our "favorite Brand" stumbles, are we compelled to defend "Our Brand" against all non-believers? Is it ever OK to question the wisdom of "our Brand"? . . . Is it prudent to place this level of TRUST in a manufacturing company?

Consider the multitude of great camera manufacturing companies we once "believed in" . . . Kodak, Polaroid, Minolta, Konica, Rollei, Exacta, Contaflex, Yaschica, Argus, Bolex, and MANY others which have fallen or disappeared. Same with formats and lens mounts. Yesterday's gods have stumbled and fallen. No one even notices their disappearance.

The micro4/3 system, while a great pleasure to use, is not well regarded in the in the "Pro" community or in the "marketplace". In the "competition" of the format/mounts, m4/3 is, arguably, a "loser". If so, can we still make pictures? Must we PROVE our fealty to a foreign manufacturing company to have credibility in the modern photographic era? Does our "gear" list in our signature file actually establish ANY kind of credibility?

It seems preposterous for Americans to struggle with each over which Japanese/Korean/Chinese/Taiwanese gadget maker owns our heart. But it is what it is.

We, here in the micro 4/3 community, must soldier on, first destroying all other formats and lens mounts, then finally bringing to heel the infidels within the m4/3 sect who worship the "wrong" foreign gadget maker. How FAR we have drifted from the Art of photography to the clamor of camera "Brand"-bickering.

ALL of this crap trivializes photography and diminishes the dignity and credibility of the combatants. What has ART to do with "winning"?

If Photography is about which camera company made the most money last year, we are ALL LOSERS.

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If anybody doubts that this issue is just on this forum then take a look at this.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/12/assumptions-expectations-and-plastic-mounts

Here is what I say in reply to this very well written article with nice pictures but missing the point in my opinion.

If you look at the lenses that Roger used as examples and then look at the Olympus 12-40mm you will instantly notice something, they are not made the same. For me this isn’t a plastic verses metal issue but a reinforced plastic verses an UNreinforced plastic. All the lenses that Roger shows us in his article have some sort of reinforcing to the plastic tab the screws attach to. The Olympus lens has NO reinforcement and thus shear off under pressure. For instance look at the Panasonic 45mm, it has brass thread inserts that prevent thread failure and add strength. Add to this that several of the Olympus mount failures were not due to being dropped but simply sitting in a bag. There is something wrong with the Olympus lens, either design or quality control at the factory.

wildwildwes

Mu-43 Veteran
...time will tell. For now, i'm going to continue enjoying photographing with the 12-40. it hasn't let me down yet and as I've already asserted -- it gets a lot of use! if it fails in the field, i'm confident that Olympus will repair it (as they've obviously been put on notice about the apparent issues some have experienced with their 12-40).

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all! (and to all a goodnight!)

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
...time will tell. For now, i'm going to continue enjoying photographing with the 12-40. it hasn't let me down yet and as I've already asserted -- it gets a lot of use! if it fails in the field, i'm confident that Olympus will repair it (as they've obviously been put on notice about the apparent issues some have experienced with their 12-40).

+1

dogs100

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Geoff

+2

Ulysses

Mu-43 Regular
^^^ Complete agreement.

I feel badly for anyone who has experienced any breakdown at all with the lens. I know from experience that times like this are shocking and frustrating. While I don't baby my 12-40 during either personal work or professional work, I've been really enjoying the lens for what it is — a great tool for producing images I and my clients love. If the lens turns out to give me any trouble at all, I'm glad I can get it taken care of, just as I've done with numerous pieces of gear over the years.

Happy shooting, everyone!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

x002a

New to Mu-43
I stumbled across this forum after buying the 12-40mm last week. It's a real shame to have this issue hang over what is otherwise a wonderful lens. I don't want to stir things up here, just wanted to thank everybody for sharing their information and point of view. Certainly gives some food for thought...

Stefan_SS

Mu-43 Regular
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to ask for som advice. The shop where I bought my lens (the broken one at page 24) just contacted me and told me that the lens has arrived back to the shop. They have told me I can come and get it. Unfourtunately I don't know if the lens is just repaired, or if they have improved anything in the mount. I have been very happy to read about others in this thread who are so pleased with their lens and I am now faced with the decision to take the repaired lens back or get a brand new one, or even return the lens and get a refund. I'll try to contact Olympus before I decide because I want to find out how they handeled this. When the guy from the shop called me, I was doing some carpenting and I really couldn't drop what I was doing.
Would you guys go with the repaired lens och try a brand new? I really want this to work out so I'm leaning towards giving this lens a second chance...

Cheers!

gronolajoe

New to Mu-43
If it helps, I've sent my lens back and I will gladly start using it the second I get it (or a new one) back. There is no way my lens should have ever broken (inside the bag, with no know drop, sitting in the back of my car). And, I know that if it happens again, I'll go through the process again. At some point, I am quite certain, I will receive the 'pro' lens that I originally bought and that Olympus set out to build. In my mind, there is no way this can continue indefinitely.

vm666

Mu-43 Veteran
Ahh man that sucks. The lens mount is a big weak point structurally speaking, and a long lens is more likely to stress the joint when forced, I guess. Makes me think twice about putting my E-M5 straight in a backpack...
My E-M5 + 12-50 fell on asphalt from about 4 feet high :eek:
This small beast is built like a tank.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
My opinion - I'd probably be happier with a repaired lens than a new one. The repaired one has already been field tested (by you) and probably got a whole new round of careful tests (we hope) before the manufacturer shipped it back to you. That's the theory, anyway. :smile:

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to ask for som advice. The shop where I bought my lens (the broken one at page 24) just contacted me and told me that the lens has arrived back to the shop. They have told me I can come and get it. Unfourtunately I don't know if the lens is just repaired, or if they have improved anything in the mount. I have been very happy to read about others in this thread who are so pleased with their lens and I am now faced with the decision to take the repaired lens back or get a brand new one, or even return the lens and get a refund. I'll try to contact Olympus before I decide because I want to find out how they handeled this. When the guy from the shop called me, I was doing some carpenting and I really couldn't drop what I was doing.
Would you guys go with the repaired lens och try a brand new? I really want this to work out so I'm leaning towards giving this lens a second chance...

Cheers!

Freddy VP

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Freddy van Puymbrouck
I have been in touch with Olympus Netherlands about breaking the 12-40 2.8, they say it's not a problem that at Olympus is known. At least not at Olympus Netherlands.

Stefan_SS

Mu-43 Regular
I agree that I probably should get the repaired lens.

My opinion - I'd probably be happier with a repaired lens than a new one. The repaired one has already been field tested (by you) and probably got a whole new round of careful tests (we hope) before the manufacturer shipped it back to you. That's the theory, anyway. :smile:
Hi!

I have the same gut-feeling that the lens ought to be really well tested / assembled after the repair and if I still have full warrany on it, why not go for it!?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom