1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus 12-40 Ouch!

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by langer318, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks for the clarification. Its hard enough keeping track by my own count, let alone verifying ones submitted by others.:hmmm:

--Ken

2. Jakub

Jakub New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2013
    It seems that I managed to scratch my few days old Olympus 12-40/2.8 lens (front element, or the coating)

I thought it's some mess (as I've never scratched a lens in 8 years I have DSLR's), but it don't go off...

Still can't believe it, I took less than 100 pictures so far :( 

3. thkpic

thkpic New to Mu-43

Dec 29, 2013
    I wouldn't worry about it. If you makes you feel better, I just bought a brand new a900 (I'm a Sony guy) for a grand a month ago. Stuck it in the back of my dang car during Christmas and got a scratch on the bottom. Sure, it's not a big deal but it is to me. Freakin cooking rack was back there. How does that happen?

Anyhow, the good news is it won't affect image quality- no...freakin...way. Go check out lensrentals article on glass scratches. You could do some serious damage to that thing before it really shows up in pictures. You just may take a hit come ebay time if you decide to sell.

Oh yeah, hello everyone. I just read all 50 some odd pages and don't own an EM1 yet. This doesn't phase me a bit and still plan on adding it as a second body. Just because the thread is so long doesn't mean newbies will be dissuaded to buy into the Olympus system. However, I think I'll be steering clear of this lens for now. Now, as far as that sweet 75mm 1.8 that's another story...gotta have it.

4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I really want this lens, but it looks like it might be just as well I could not afford it right away. Hopefully Olympus will get to the bottom of this and fix the problem. Optically the lens is apparently superb.

5. eaaseth

eaaseth New to Mu-43

Nov 14, 2013
    Norway
    Erik Aaseth
    Probably happened while fumbling w/ the lens cap.
    Sometimes it seems almost impossible to put back on, it just won't stick.

And while the cap is gliding around endlessly w/o finding its grip, it can touch the glass which lies very close to the shallow filter threads.
    Dunno what is wrong with it, but it is by far the worst lens cap I've seen from Oly during 40 years of Zuiko use...
    So be careful, and pay close attention when trying to put that lens cap on!

6. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    According to statements of the owners of the busted Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 lenses, none of these lenses has been abused or mistreated. The explanations offered by the complainants describe fairly typical use/abuse. The evidence basically corroborates their claims; there is no cosmetic damage to the exterior lens barrel which would justify a busted lens mount.

Perhaps the plastic bosses are being strained or twist damaged when the lens is tightened onto the camera. One owner reported that his lens got busted in the camera bag without any impact or other known causes.

It is possible that when the lens is being installed onto a camera . . . the lens feels heavy and substantial, so the user grips it firmly, and aligns it in the camera's bayonet and twists hard until the bayonet locks. Any twisting force beyond the lock-in of the bayonet is all placed upon those plastic bosses that are busted in these lenses. If the bayonet itself is a snug fit, there will be torsional forces upon the plastic bosses while merely twisting the lens in the bayonet, (both directions). It may be a variable combination of twisting/torsion and weight/impact related forces that are causing this failure.

A good preventive measure would be to mount this lens delicately, being careful not to over-twist. If the bayonet is excessively snug, (as some of my camera/lens combinations are), it might be prudent to lubricate the bayonet fit, CAREFULLY. I intend to use a "spritz" of Tri-Flow (contains Teflon) on my fingertip, (NOT SPRAYED toward or near camera or lens), and then carefully wipe my fingertip onto both halves of the bayonet mount. When the propellant vaporizes, a slight film of Teflon will be left on the bayonet which could reduce the torsional forces incurred while mounting the lens onto a camera.

WARNING: Clean any remaining residue from fingertip before handling the camera or any other delicate photo/optical equipment.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Whatever else is this thread is about, scratching the front element is either user error or bad luck - not a design flaw.

8. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    How many lenses have Oly sold already? Five incidents reported and this is a "fiasco"? Oh come on... Even if they've sold 10.000 lenses so far and five people have reported the lens breaking by itself what's the percentage of these faulty lenses? 0.05%. Or even if they've sold only 1000 lenses the percentage is still 0.5%. How does this make a fiasco?

I'd wait a few more weeks (until there's at least dozens of these "miraculous breakings") to see if there's actually something wrong with the lens design / build before declaring this a "failure" by Olympus.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying shooting with my copy of the lens and couldn't be happier. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  9. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    again a pro lens the Canon 24-70 from the front end falling off to the horrible focus issues ?
    the D800 with its miss aligned sensor and major issues
    the D600 and its dust issues on some
    the 50 1.4 and its elements falling out

no setup is perfect and some have issues ? often its linked back to a bad assembly wrong parts used ? or bad plastics or something

again its a bummer but its not a issue yet I would say :) 

10. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    Hey guys, I AM SORRY for using the word "fiasco" to describe what is happening with the Olympus Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 lens.
    To me, it seems like the problem will be mishandled, and that political and marketing and other considerations will aggravate the situation. Your view may differ, but if my statement about a fiasco is inaccurate then so is the previous comment by HappyFish that " its a bummer but its not a issue yet I would say :) " . . . The ONLY explanation for the more than 500 comments to this thread is that it has become an issue.

11. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    500 comments where the first half is saying it's not a "big deal" (yet?) and the other half is already basically crucifying Olympus. :biggrin:

What's the rush to judge this lens as a failure? Only time will tell how big a deal this actually is (or isn't...). I might change my mind when the incident count is more than 20 and/or if mine breaks but until then I'll be taking nice pictures with my 12-40mm and not worry a thing. :tongue:

12. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I haven't got it yet … but it will be a brand new lens, so it should function just like any other new copy of this lens.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    Based upon what I have read in these 500+ comments, I have not read ANY commentary aimed at "crucifying" Olympus . . . not one. Seems to me that most folks who have commented are Olympus users and fans.

I too, have high hopes for this lens and believe it has the makings of a GREAT optic which could suffice for 95% of my photos.. The lens is experiencing a rough roll-out. I have confidence that Olympus will redesign that portion which is failing and I further believe that Olympus will offer a serious warranty with the lens and provide a remedy to all owners of the failed lenses.

I am NOT anti-Olympus. No one here should mistake my comments for ANTI-Olympus-ism. As an former camera repairman ( 6 years ), I am endlessly fascinated with camera technology. As a 30 year Tool & Die maker I am always looking at mechanical design and the machining & materials. I was working in the camera repair business in the late 1970's when the Olympus OM-1 took the Pro-sumer camera world by storm. I have been a fan of Olympus ever since.

I wish Olympus well and intend to buy the 12-40mm f2.8 lens after this matter is concluded.

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Whatever the reality of the situation with the lens, the number of posts and views on this forum (and others) very clearly demonstrates that Oly has a PR issue to deal with. I'm amazed that big corporations can be so lead-footed about this sort of thing. Oly needs to communicate with its community if it's to keep us on-board and continue to be brand advocates. Remaining completely silent (as they've been to date) will only foster suspicion and mistrust. All they need to do is to issue a statement about what they know and what they're going to do (or not do) about it. It's not that hard really!

15. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    I'm sure they are working feverishly to fix whatever they perceive as the problem. It might be the lens or it might be the perception, but whatever it is, some poor person has some unwanted pressure to make it right.

16. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Real unit sales on this lens would be a guess, but given its recent introduction, maybe 5-10k max? It's not like this is the only lens Oly is making, and most Oly m4/3 sales we know are non-US. The number of these lenses sold in the US and the UK, which seem to be the primary member areas for this forum, would be a minority of total production.

17. Koriolan

Koriolan Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2013
    Gdańsk, Poland
    There is over 500 posts and only 5 lenses -partly more or less "mishandled"- described as broken.
    I remember the problem ZD 12-60 with AF totally out of order - I also bought such lens. Hundreds of people across Europe found its Christmas gifts faulty.

wysłane z Xperia Z1

18. langer318

langer318 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    To update everyone on the status with Olympus and my Lens, they sent me a brand new replacement lens last week. It took a few weeks and two calls to check the status but I'm happy with the results.

The only question is will this one hold up... I took it out mountaineering in some tough conditions yesterday and put it though the paces with no issues at all. If anyone is interested some pictures are posted here with my second 12-40.

Full set: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjPKqzEA

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/96101062@N02/11634652485/in/set-72157639172238514/player/" width="500" height="228" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/96101062@N02/11635321296/in/set-72157639172238514/player/" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 10
  19. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    AWESOME Photos! Beautiful colors and excellent sharpness! Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Actually you need to divide 5 into the number of users on mu-43.com with a 12-40 and at least a month's ownership. What, maybe 100?

Then you need to multiply by the number that will fail in the first month to six months, by the number that will fail in the longer term. What, times 3?

Obviously my numbers aren't right and no point arguing about what the right number is, being conjecture and all, but you get the idea.

Time you added it to your gear list on your sig file, then. :tongue:

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.