Olympus 12-40 on local Craigslist $650

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Cruzan80, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Hey guys, I have no affiliation to the seller, nor do I know if he will ship. Just seems like a great deal on this new lens. Has been posted up a couple of times already.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pho/4270488292.html

My wife vetoed the initial idea which was pick it up for cheap, and then resell at a profit, so passing it along to someone else.

• Like Like x 2
  2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Whoa, I just saw that same ad.

Nice to see another "yinzer" here. :)

3. Captiva

Captiva Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    "too good to be true" category?

Why start at 35% off retail?

Go Browns.

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Caveat Emptor. As I said, I have no affiliation to the seller. However, he could just be wanting a quick sale. I have seen some m43 stuff go up for pretty good prices here recently.

5. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    Thanks for the heads up. Sent him an offer. Hope he still has it.

6. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Tempting, but given the reported defects with the mount, I think I'd prefer one with a warranty.

7. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

You may burn your fingers if you touch that one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Skeptical...

9. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    Any reply yet?

10. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    nope

11. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    One locally around my area just came up for $840CAN...what's going on?

12. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Perhaps they are legitimate offers, but there are other less desirable possibilities. One is that you are dealing with stolen stuff and the more scary one is that it is a bait to get you in a position to rob you and perhaps kill you..... It happens regularly with "too good to be true" prices on laptops, tablets and such.
    Just saying....

13. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Probably spam. I saw an ad for Sony RX100 MII for $420 locally that was suspiciously posted for over a month. I knew it looks fishy but curiosity won and I sent an inquiry from my spam account. Sure enough, got a response "Oh, just sold it. But I can tell you where I got it for a cheap price. Go to this link... blah... blah... blah". Pure scam.

14. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Just reposted for $640. Heard lots of these "rob you" warnings, but dont know a single person whom it has happened to. The reason I posted it is that it has been relisted several times, so the chances are higher it is real. That, and if you read the language, it isnt stock comments.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

15. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    Pinged him again. Weird he didn't respond to me. Either trolling or doesn't want to ship it.

16. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I hear you, I don't "know" a single person that this has happened to, but I have read of several cases just in the neighborhood crime report. Maybe Atlanta is much worse for crime, but those robberies are not rare around here...... Of course, your mileage might vary, etc.

17. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'd personally interpret this just the other way.

The fact that an offer "this good" gets reposted so many times (rather than getting snapped up right away) would make me suspicious.
    Apparently he doesn't need a superfast sale. So why the low price if there's nothing odd going on?

• Like Like x 1
  18. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    What's strange to me about it is that he doesn't list a neighborhood or town (Pittsburghers identify heavily with neighborhood), or a local phone number or email. Just the generic craiglist-generated email address and location of "Pittsburgh." That doesn't mean it isn't real, it's just something I noticed.

19. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    I am not saying this is the case here, but sometimes cheap listings are made to farm names and email addresses. The list can then be sold for target advertising.

• Like Like x 1