olympus 12-40 manual focus

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dogs100, Dec 27, 2013.

1. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I am not sure if this has been said before, if it has then I apologise and please move on ... after telling me where it is so I can read it :smile:
    When I have manually focused using the snap ring on my 12-40 the exif data shows the AF setting for the camera, not the MF designation I would expect. I assume it is because I have used the snap ring and it doesn't recognise that but I can't see why as it speaks to the lens for other info.
    Is this common to all copies of this lens or just mine?

2. dogs100

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Anybody?

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's an in-lens mechanical override, I'm guessing it doesn't talk to the camera to tell it to change EXIF info to state manual focus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    That's probably a bug as it communicates to the body that it is in mf. It does so on my E-M1 because focus peaking is activated. I wonder if this something the E-M1 does? I'll try in a little bit and see. What body are you using?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    A newb question and off from the OP's original topic, but why does the manual focus go beyond infinity and how or when is this used?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 4

6. dogs100

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    an e-m5

7. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    In answer to my own question, I found this post in the Panisonic section https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=50612 My conclusion is the lenses are designed primarily for AF and the range markers including infinity are approximations requiring you to focus by eye even at infinity (manual focus).

8. dogs100

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I had a spare 5 minutes so emailed Olympus with my question and this is their reply ...

Thank you very much for your Email, it has been the most challenging one of the day as you have brought this issue to our attention. This is something we were not aware of and have discovered that it is the same with the our Pen series and E-M5, but is not an issue on the newer E-M1 and E-M10 models. As the lens was manufactured after the E-M5 and Pen's were, this leads me to believe that there is some software within these older models that doesn't completely read the settings on the Lens. This is something that will be raised and the relevant people will be made aware of this, and I hope that some time in the near future a firmware update will solve this issue.

I'm sorry I can't offer an answer at the moment, but we will endeavour to find a solution to this as soon as we can.

Kind regards,
    Ben Smith
    European Customer Support Centre

I am impressed ... well done Olympus!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. DWhite

DWhite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    David
    It probably is a bug. If memory serves me correctly, I also believe the auto-magnify feature would not engage on the E-M5 when you engage MF via the clutch. I can't confirm this as I've replaced the E-M5 with an E-M1.

With the E-M1, the auto magnify acts as expected with both clutch and menu selection of MF.