Olympus 12-40 faulty?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by SirGadden, Mar 24, 2015.

1. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Sweden
    I bought my 12-40 along with my E-M5 mk II a few weeks ago and have a few worries:

- The inner barrel wobbles slightly at certain FLs (eg. 1-2mm when fully extended), found other threads saying this is normal so no worries I guess. Just brought it up here so that everyone can grasp the whole picture.
    - When I manually focus using the focus by wire (ie. not when using the mf clutch) the lens makes a electric clicking sound (it's not the aperture blades btw).
    - AF motor sounds quite alot more than the 40-150 PRO and MSC primes. Not that it's really loud, just louder than the mentioned lenses plus I was under the impression that it would be equally silent as those.

Should I try to get the lens serviced by olympus under the warranty or should I be content? (ie. is this normal?) And do your copy of the 12-40 exhibit the same attributes?
    All in all I'm very happy with the lens.

2. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    I believe I would have Olympus check it over, or if not too late, return it for a new one. My 12-40 has a very slight wobble when extended, but the AF is silent, including the focus by wire manual.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Thanks for your feedback.
    I've already talked to the store where I bought it and they claim that all this is normal so they won't swap it for a new one. And that's why I created this thread to see if the store is correct...

Or maybe I'm just exaggerating, I guess I just want "my precious" to be perfect ;)

4. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    to your points;
    1. There was barrel play in my refurb direct from Olympus. From reports on this site it is quite normal. I also went to the local shop to ask and the fellow was nice enough to pull a brand new one out of the box, and it had the same little wobble. He assured me it was normal. As far as I can tell it has no adverse effects on anything.
    2. There's no clicking when I manually focus, but the only way I do it is by pulling the clutch and dialling. I don't know of the the other way you do it.
    3. There's a little AF whirring sound. Not bothersome to me though.

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I don't have any wobble/barrel play in my 12-40. I just used it tonight for ~ 100 pics at an instructed Seder meal hosted at my church and I was full extended for a lot of the shots. All AF. Can you be a little more precise on when you experience the wobble/barrel play?

I do hear the AF noise but not clicking. I haven't really focused on that as I use other lenses for videos.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I can hear or feel mine wobble when extended, but no clicking on MF.

Barry

7. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The AF noise is just slightly louder than the IBIS humming so it's not really bothersome. But as I was under the impression that it was supposed to be as quiet as the MSC primes (which I can't hear even if I turn off the IBIS) I was getting a bit worried but seems this is perfectly normal then. :thumbup:

Just that weird clicking noise when using MF fly by wire then...:hmmm:

The extending (inner) barrel wobbles ~1mm when fully extended to 40mm. There's a few threads about it on the dpreview forum if you'd like to read more about it. Here's one of them: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3790527
    AFAIK, this is considered normal, tho it seems that there are a some copies without any wobble at all.

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    OK, when it is fully extended there is a wobble as described but I have to use my free hand to "wobble it". I probably would not have discovered the wobble without reading about here. :coffee-30: Now I will never use that lens again. :drama:

9. Beardie

Beardie New to Mu-43

May 21, 2017
    Hello!

Some years later (!) I have also a copy of the 12-40 PRO with the same noises. I actually have three different kind of noises:

1. The noise when the MF-clutch is *NOT* used, and I do a focus override (half pressing shutter, then overriding with focus-ring)

2. Another sound when zooming in and out (ONLY when the camera is on). It's lika a "rubbery" brrr-brrr, sound.

3. A static, electronic noise when the camera is ** in idle **; It's lika buzzing, or a electronic noise of some kind (hard to describe).

Not sure what to do really. Did you return your example to Olympus, or got it repaired?

My lens is on the Panasonic Lumix G80.

Please let me know what you think.

All best!

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'd send it in if you feel it's a bit off. I think Olympus made a bunch of 12-40mm lenses and QC isn't as high on them. I've gone through three of them. The first one was a bit soft, second was spot on, third copy actually back focused and I sent that in for repair and they replaced quite a few parts.

11. Beardie

Beardie New to Mu-43

May 21, 2017
    Hello Jonathan.

Yes, the thing is that this lens is really, really sharp - and Im a bit afraid to change it. But as you could hear, there are a lot of weird noises. Not sure if you should accept them or not. But I'll probably send it to Panasonic, and hopefully they will fix it. You get a bitt annoyed when it sound like this from factory.

All best!

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    After watching your video, the slouching sound is normal and the other sounds could be attributed to using an Olympus lens on a Panasonic body. I probably wouldn't worry too much unless the lens just feels absolutely off. I'd probably still send the lens in for repair because when I sent my lens in, they replaced quite a few parts. I think there might have been faulty parts or bad QC from the factory. Having the lens checked during the warranty period is a good idea just to make sure everything is up to spec!

13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Some general guidelines about lenses -

• if the lens trombones in and out, don't push it side to side to see if it moves. All you are doing is exerting unnecessary wear and tear. Most materials expand and contract at different rates. This also apply to parts of the same materials of different diameters. So most anything that slides inside of another needs some clearance so that it won't lock up under certain temperatures, and can move pretty freely.

• if a lens has moving parts (very few don't) don't bother putting it up to your ear, use a stethoscope, or put it right next to a microphone to see if there are sounds. Because there will be! Moving parts always produce some noise.

• if your item has some sort of weather sealing - there are seals that will be touching the moving parts. See the guideline directly above. Additionally things that touch each other and when moving against each produce noise!
    I wonder if people check out their own bodies as well as they cameras and lenses? Ya, don't go there.