1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 12-40 faulty?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by SirGadden, Mar 24, 2015.

1. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I bought my 12-40 along with my E-M5 mk II a few weeks ago and have a few worries:

- The inner barrel wobbles slightly at certain FLs (eg. 1-2mm when fully extended), found other threads saying this is normal so no worries I guess. Just brought it up here so that everyone can grasp the whole picture.
    - When I manually focus using the focus by wire (ie. not when using the mf clutch) the lens makes a electric clicking sound (it's not the aperture blades btw).
    - AF motor sounds quite alot more than the 40-150 PRO and MSC primes. Not that it's really loud, just louder than the mentioned lenses plus I was under the impression that it would be equally silent as those.

Should I try to get the lens serviced by olympus under the warranty or should I be content? (ie. is this normal?) And do your copy of the 12-40 exhibit the same attributes?
    All in all I'm very happy with the lens.

2. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    I believe I would have Olympus check it over, or if not too late, return it for a new one. My 12-40 has a very slight wobble when extended, but the AF is silent, including the focus by wire manual.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for your feedback.
    I've already talked to the store where I bought it and they claim that all this is normal so they won't swap it for a new one. And that's why I created this thread to see if the store is correct...

Or maybe I'm just exaggerating, I guess I just want "my precious" to be perfect ;)

4. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    to your points;
    1. There was barrel play in my refurb direct from Olympus. From reports on this site it is quite normal. I also went to the local shop to ask and the fellow was nice enough to pull a brand new one out of the box, and it had the same little wobble. He assured me it was normal. As far as I can tell it has no adverse effects on anything.
    2. There's no clicking when I manually focus, but the only way I do it is by pulling the clutch and dialling. I don't know of the the other way you do it.
    3. There's a little AF whirring sound. Not bothersome to me though.

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I don't have any wobble/barrel play in my 12-40. I just used it tonight for ~ 100 pics at an instructed Seder meal hosted at my church and I was full extended for a lot of the shots. All AF. Can you be a little more precise on when you experience the wobble/barrel play?

I do hear the AF noise but not clicking. I haven't really focused on that as I use other lenses for videos.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I can hear or feel mine wobble when extended, but no clicking on MF.

Barry

7. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The AF noise is just slightly louder than the IBIS humming so it's not really bothersome. But as I was under the impression that it was supposed to be as quiet as the MSC primes (which I can't hear even if I turn off the IBIS) I was getting a bit worried but seems this is perfectly normal then. :thumbup:

Just that weird clicking noise when using MF fly by wire then...:hmmm:

The extending (inner) barrel wobbles ~1mm when fully extended to 40mm. There's a few threads about it on the dpreview forum if you'd like to read more about it. Here's one of them: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3790527
    AFAIK, this is considered normal, tho it seems that there are a some copies without any wobble at all.

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    OK, when it is fully extended there is a wobble as described but I have to use my free hand to "wobble it". I probably would not have discovered the wobble without reading about here. :coffee-30: Now I will never use that lens again. :drama: