Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro vs Panasonic 12-35 f2.8

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
Dear Board,

I would like to get a quality zoom that provides a 24mm equivalent field of view for use on an OM-D-EM11 or EPL-9. I am coming from DSLR's so the weight to me is not a serious consideration.

I'm a used buyer and the Olympus lens seems to be far more commonly available. I asked myself if that might be because the Pany performs better?

It will be used primarily for scenic shots and landscape pictures. I'm mostly a bird and wildlife telephoto kind of guy and while I have no problem spending money for the right lens, I don't need to spend over $ 500.00 or $ 600.00 in my mind.

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts regarding my potential choices, as well as any alternatives that cover the 24mm FOV? I know there are several lesser grade lenses available that fit that requirement. Should I also be considering something with both a wider and and shorter focal length. like 7-14mm? The maximum aperture of f2.8 is not essential. Are there any other lenses worth considering?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA ☺

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
If landscape is your aim, I think you'd enjoy the 7-14mm. There's also the 12 f2 if you just want 24mm, but it isn't cheap! Another option is the 12-45 f4, which would be in your price range brand new, as it is selling for $549 right now. They all have their benefits--the 12-40/45 would be good multipurpose lenses, which can really play up their value.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
I've the 12-50mm & 12-40mm and both are very nice, but I'm now using 12-40mm full time on one body.
It's nicer all round than the 12-50mm.
But different price.

Can't comment on the Panasonic, but would miss that extra reach the 40 gives.
The 50 is more again but I can cope with that.

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I sold my Pany 12-35 to get an Oly 12-40 (and now I’m using an Oly 12-45). All used on Olympus bodies.

The 12-35 and 12-40 are both good lenses. The 12-40 is better at the wide (12 mm) end, and better in the corners, but the difference is small. The 12-40 is larger and heavier, but within a couple of days of getting the lens I didn’t mind the extra weight. Plus I really like the manual focus clutch.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'll just throw in that the PL8-18 is a good alternative if the wide angle is more important and you don't think you'll need the extra range on the tele end.

I think generally the 12-40 is a tiny bit better and the 12-35 is a tiny bit smaller (and also has Dual IS support which is mostly important for video on Panasonic bodies). The difference on both features is negligible.

Latest threads

Top Bottom