Olympus 12-40 f2.8 balance on E-M1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sin77, Oct 3, 2015.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I have 2x E-M1 and I fixed on 12-40 and 35-100 f2.8 respectively.

I find that the balance with 12-40 is really bad, such that I have to use a battery grip with it.

I bought the grip for use with 35-100, but now I need to use it with 12-40 instead.

Think whether to buy another grip but will be waste of money and additional weight.

I will lose out a L-Fn button and the working distance for close-up shot, if I switch to Panasonic 12-35 f2.8.

Dilemma.

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I'm so used to the 12-40 on my em1 that when I put on the 20mm it feels very unbalanced.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Can you provide a photo of how this lens/camera combination balance is really bad?

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I use it on an E-M10 and I find it ok. I support the camera keeping my left hand below the lens.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I did some preliminary testing and it seemed to balance just fine for me without a grip, could someone check my results and make sure I didn't make an error?

initialtesting.jpg

• Funny Funny x 22
  6. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

That balance looks fine to me!

Seriously, though. OP - how do you hold your camera/lens? I have been supporting my lenses with my left hand since I started shooting with DSLR's, and have never had a balance issues, even with a 100-400L on a Canon 400D.

Z...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I reckon you need some lens-based stabilisation for that setup!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    Even with the 12-40/2.8 mounted on the front of my E-M1 I find no problems with balance. The E-M1 doesn't work so well for me with the smaller primes - not so much balance as lacking space for the left hand. YMMV

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Yes, but now try with the external grip in the middle :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I'd prefer to see the lens inside a pouch if you're going to balance it on top.

11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I believe the technical term for this is "not very stable"
    less-stable.jpg

...also 'dusty' heh, needs a clean.

The pouches are still inside the original boxes somewhere... I don't have them on hand I'm afraid.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Now it's going from funny to impressive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    As an intermission from the other jokers in this thread. :drinks:

I generally have to agree with you. The 12-40 is very front heavy and the 12-35 is simply a better balanced lens on m43. I've owned all the m43 zooms and I kept the 12-40 for a week. This is my take on the various zoom lenses:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/68705/

Slightly off topic I had the chance to look at the 7-14f2.8 last night, and it is huge. It is significantly bigger and heavier than the 12-40. It makes me very glad I got the 8mm 1.8.

14. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Wow, this must be the first time that I heard that the 12-40 does not balance well on the E-M1. We have had threads about the O12-40 not balancing well on the E-M10, E-M5, etc.

15. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The 12-40 and the 12-60 don't fell a whole lot different mounted on the E-M1. IMO, the 12-60 is the better choice simply because you get more reach (12mm mustache distortion aside which can be annoying in some contexts for sure).

16. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    I feel like superman. I can`t find any problems with E-M10 and the 40-150 Pro. This must mean I`m quite strong (or stupid).

And yeah, my 12-40 is glued on to my E-M1. Maybe the glue is the reason I don`t find it out of balance?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  17. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Could you post a photo of what you mean? I just can't grasp this 'better balanced" thing that is so often brought up.

18. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I've always thought the E-M1 and the 12-40 are perfectly balanced in terms of size and looks. Other lenses look too small and/or thin on it.

In terms of heft, I don't know what they mean by "imbalanced" either; otherwise, any telephoto would be absolutely unusable. My left hand supports the lens, not the body (unless it's a really small lens). With that, I've never experienced problems with physical balance of any lens except on a tripod.

19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I've also owned both, and I agree - the 12-40 feels a little bulky and front heavy. I got a good deal on it when the Panasonic was stolen, so I've kept it, but I would probably get the penny again if the 12-40 was damaged or stolen simply because it balances slightly better.

20. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    OP, Always have the left hand supporting the lens. Then you don't have a balance problem with any lens but the largest maybe.

Weight is a different issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.