Olympus 12-40/2.8 - where's infinity focus on your lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by lightmonkey, May 17, 2014.

1. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    Love having the focus clutch ring. And reviewers praise it having a hard stop at the near and far end.

Except infinity on my copy is in the middle of the infinity mark - i.e. a long throw distance from the hard stop.

I understand needing a little buffer space on account of miscalibration. But this is a lot. Anyone else the same way? Considering sending it back for adjustment...
  2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Unfortunately this seems to be normal.
    I don't think Olympus would adjust this for you as it appears to meet their standards.
  3. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    The way AF works on m43, the lens has to hunt back and forth in order to nail focus. So in order to focus at infinity the lens has to be able to move past that mark. This is normal operation, so there is nothing to fix. If you are focusing manually, though, it is annoying.
  4. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    True, but manual focus is by wire, so there is no reason for the scale to be off in manual focus, unless they just want to accommodate a wide tolerance in production to make sure you can get to infinity for every lens.
    The result of that would be that the scale would be off at any setting...
  5. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Manual focus is by wire and manual as manual in physical ring. The physical ring would not need extra space to get focus to infinity but then the wire mode would neither, but there is still needed to be that for AF mode.