1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 12-40 2.8, purple blob issue (on E-M5) ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bipinsnair, Nov 9, 2013.

1. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Not sure if this is normal at wide end. But I see some purple blob (right side of the big tree) similar to the one from Pana 7-14 on E-M5. Not much and did not notice until I downloaded the file to computer.

Any one saw this before ? Shot at 12 mm, f5.6, iso200, 1/640 sec. No edits except for resizing on export from lightroom.

Edit : This is the jpeg convert from raw, exported from lightroom.

10760698066_1d52572e92_c.jpg

Attached Files:

2. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Sorry, the last one was jpeg converted from raw.
    Here is the jpeg from camera, no edits. Just resized on export from lightroom.

10760799445_62bace2aaf_c.jpg

Attached Files:

3. droidakty

droidakty Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Do you have a filter on the lens?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

4. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    No filter on the lens. I had the lens hood on the lens.

5. tyrepeddler

tyrepeddler Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2012
    Phoenix Az
    Jim
    I can not tell if it is a purple blob or just the tree color that is being picked up by the lens

6. vchaney

vchaney Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2010
    I think it's lens flare. You can see a similar shade around the sun on the left. Those are pretty harsh lighting conditions and some lenses are prone to lens flare although I haven't heard anything about the 12-40 in particular.

7. hwy

hwy New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2013
    I do not own the lens yet but i had the opportunity to play a few minutes with it in a shop. I could mount it on my E-M5.
    One of the tests i did was a flare test:

http://imgur.com/a/Pcde4

pictures are RAWs resized on export from Lightroom. No edits except the second one.

8. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    light bouncing onto the rear cell? This could be a big problem like the 7-14.

9. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Very disappointing. May not be the case in every situation, but still.

10. hwy

hwy New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2013
    jea, i do not know how i feel about this. I thought of the lens as a no-brainer. Now i am not so sure. Since the lens only not available to me yet, i will just wait and see i guess...

11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hey guys, flare happens with strong light sources just off frame - even on the best of lenses.

• Like Like x 3
  12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Agreed. Definitely something to keep an eye on but a single shot or even a few shouldn't cause mass panic.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  13. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Agreed. Sorry, I posted this to see if this is a issue that someone else also experienced with this lens and not to suggest that this is a wide spread issue or a major flaw with the lens. I was disappointed when I saw this, but I wouldn't worry much unless it appears in a lot of shooting conditions. :thumbup:

14. J-B

J-B Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2013
    It's lens flare. I have the same with my 17/1.8 on both the E-M5 and GX7.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    The problem is it might be lens flare that hitting the rear cell as light bounces around the back of the camera. Much like the 7-14 issue. I'm curious to know if this happening at the wide end. Further review is well warranted considering the purple blobs with the 7-14 and some bodies make the combination near unusable, especially considering the price of the lenses in question. If either poster has a Panasonic body, I would suggest trying the lens out to recreate the flare... That would be very telling for the community before they purchase a high end lens.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I feel it's more of an issue with the sensor in the EM5. I notice in some of my images that flare, particularly those with the sun directly in the frame, there tends to be a purple tinge. This is using the panasonic 12-35mm.

I believe as a ultra wide angle that the 7-14 is more prone to flare, so we see the purple blobs more often and easily.

To be honest, I feel the purple tinge to your flare is not overly prominent, compared to what I've seen. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I don't have a Panasonic body, so can't check that. And my initial post was @ wide end -12mm.

18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    From what I've read and experienced (I had the 7-14 for a while), the problem is that some lenses seem to control flare well in the visible spectrum, but not in the near-UV portion; and it appears the sensor on the E -M5 seems to have weak
    UV filtering with the result that the flare turns up as deep blue ghosting. Reflections off the sensor may be a contributory factor, but I don't think it's a major part of the problem since adding a UV filter to the 7-14 mostly fixes it.

The E-M1 sensor seems to have exactly the same issue, as the Cameralabs test here shows.

http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_OMD_EM1/#7-14mm_flare

Whilst the 7-14 seems to be the worst offender, other lenses do it too - to which list we should now add the 12-40 it seems. However, to get it into perspective, it seems a minor issue based on the samples here.

19. The Sony m4/3 sensor will display purple-tinted flare with just about any lens, however a camera exhibiting lens flare when a strong light source like the sun is in the frame is not cause for alarm. It is merely what happens when you point a camera at the sun. Unless the 12-40mm can be found to cause similar issues when mated to the Sony sensor as the 7-14mm does (example below), I don't think there is a specific problem here.

7780398022_d3e7aaca56_c.jpg
    OEM5-P8111244-PR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Brisbane Australia by Nic (Luckypenguin), on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  20. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    OK, now I know what purple blobs look like - eweee. What the OP posted is purple fringing which shows up with all sorts of lens camera combinations and is so common that there is a tool in LR to remove it.