Olympus 12-40/2.8 Pro replacement lens hood

ata3001

Mu-43 Rookie
I am looking for a replacement lens hood for this lens that is screw on only. I don't like the supplied bayonet lens hood that is difficult to use when turning a polarizer, & impossible when wearing gloves of any kind. I've looked at what's available but none of them indicates it's useability at the 12mm wide end of this lens w/o causing vignetting. Looking to those that have actually found a hood that works.

Real Name
Simon
There’s always the JJC replacement which is bayonet but has a slide out door to allow polariser adjustment.

JJC LH-66

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Caution on the JJC hood.
The one that I have, works fine in use.
But if you turn the hood around for storage, the lock does not fully unlock, and it is VERY difficult to remove the hood.
A little bit of surgery may be required.

I do not have a single JJC plastic hood that has not required some sort of surgery, to make it work properly.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am looking for a replacement lens hood for this lens that is screw on only. I don't like the supplied bayonet lens hood that is difficult to use when turning a polarizer, & impossible when wearing gloves of any kind. I've looked at what's available but none of them indicates it's useability at the 12mm wide end of this lens w/o causing vignetting. Looking to those that have actually found a hood that works.
A non-tulip metal hood, would be so flat that you might as well not bother with a hood, and just use your hand.
An alternative is a multi-position rubber hood, that you can adjust how much shading it provides.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’ve not had those issues on this or any other JJC hood. Sample variation?
Possible, but it has happened too many times for me to accept sample variations.
  • This problem with the 12-40
  • Fit problem with the 75-300
  • Fit problem with the 40-150R
  • Fit problem with the Canon 18-135 (all 5 hoods that the school bought)
  • Fit problem with the Canon 18-55 (all 3 hoods that the school bought)
That is a total of 11 out of 11 plastic hoods with fit problems.

The only JJC hood that did not have a problem was the metal hood for the 17/1.8.

The only consolation is that plastic is easy to shave, to get the hood to fit.
But to have to do it to every hood is a PITA, that I would rather not have to do. The $ savings is used up in the time and effort to fix the hoods to fit.
The locking mechanism on the 12-40 is a bit more complicated to fix.

Real Name
Simon
Possible, but it has happened too many times for me to accept sample variations.
  • This problem with the 12-40
  • Fit problem with the 75-300
  • Fit problem with the 40-150R
  • Fit problem with the Canon 18-135 (all 5 hoods that the school bought)
  • Fit problem with the Canon 18-55 (all 3 hoods that the school bought)
That is a total of 11 out of 11 plastic hoods with fit problems.

The only JJC hood that did not have a problem was the metal hood for the 17/1.8.

The only consolation is that plastic is easy to shave, to get the hood to fit.
But to have to do it to every hood is a PITA, that I would rather not have to do. The $ savings is used up in the time and effort to fix the hoods to fit.
The locking mechanism on the 12-40 is a bit more complicated to fix.
Ok, not meaning to doubt you but I’ve had at least 7 JJC hoods for Olympus myself:
  • 12-40
  • 40-150R
  • 17/1.8 (x2, one black, one silver)
  • 45/1.8 (x2, one black, one silver)
  • 75/1.8
and never a problem. I must be lucky 🍀 😉

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom