Showcase Olympus 12-100mm f/4 Pro

nauticaljack

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John Goddard
Nice filmic look! How did you post-process these shots?

Thank you! I do most of my post-processing in Lightroom. I was working off one of my more basic outdoor presets that's basically:
- Add a bit of contrast and lightly crush the blacks with curves
- Add a touch of clarity
- Drop the highlights and boost the shadows a bit
- Add a hint of blue to the shadows
- Drop the global saturation and boost the global luminance a bit as well

From there I made a few local adjustments (e.g. darkening the skies), and light color & exposure tweaks. I also was using a circular polarizer for most of these shots, which helped bring out the skies a bit more in camera.

I like filmic and cinematic looks too (as long as they're not overdone) and do have some Kodak film emulation presets I like a lot, but I actually didn't use them here.

nauticaljack

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John Goddard
Some favorites from Costa Rica. Weather sealing is key in the rainforest :)

20210809-P8090196-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20210814-P8140436.jpg

20210814-P8140489.jpg

20210813-P8130285.jpg

20210808-P8080136.jpg

20210806-P8060010.jpg

nauticaljack

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John Goddard
Your pictures are awesome!
What picture style do you use?

Thank you! I appreciate it.

As far as style goes, a lot of what I said here applies to most of my photos: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympus-12-100mm-f-4-pro.88350/post-1485496

For the Costa Rica rain forest shots specifically, I found that shifting the greens a bit towards blue and desaturating the greens gave the photos a nice, slightly moodier look, especially when combined with subtle radial filters to help bring out the subjects.

I can totally see why this lens was so highly recommended. It has hardly been off my M1 Mk11 since I bought it.

NZ is in level four lockdown currently, so very limiting as to where we can walk our dogs. Some from today, on the way to a local park, and then at the park, which has lots of equipment promoting fitness. All five shot HDR, one shot aprt, processed in SNS-HDR, handheld.

Gums and an acacia on the way to the park.
P8230005-HDR(5).jpg

Deserted children's playground, but there were kids here the other day. Getting near tea time though.
P8230010-HDR(5).jpg

Lots of fitness gear around.
P8230015-HDR(5).jpg
P8230020-HDR(5).jpg

Duck pond
P8230025-HDR(5).jpg
P8230030-HDR(5).jpg

Few more at the walk in the park :)
P8230035-HDR(5).jpg
P8230040-HDR(5).jpg
P8230045-HDR(5).jpg
P8230050-HDR(5).jpg
P8230055-HDR(5).jpg
P8230060-HDR(5).jpg
P8230065-HDR(5).jpg
P8230070-HDR(5).jpg

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I can totally see why this lens was so highly recommended. It has hardly been off my M1 Mk11 since I bought it.
I am really enjoying the focal length (with no sacrifice of image quality which is often the trade off with super zoom lenses). For years I used the 12-60 on four-thirds and when I started shooting the Panny 12-35 on m43 I really missed the longer end. And one of the reasons is because as a walking around lens the 12-60 and now the 12-100, there are many shots where even though I could get as close as I wanted to my subject, purposely backing up and shooting more on the 60/100 end gives me a more pleasing perspective than something shot closer to the wide to "normal" focal lengths and often will result in a better separation of my intended subject matter and the background.

Kind of an example of what I mean where I could have walked right up to this and shot it @12-25mm but chose to stay further back allow the marker itself to be a bit more isolated from the background as well as compressing the rock wall in with the marker where the perspective of a wide angle would have made them appear much further apart...

51107603664_899ca83d06_o.jpg
2021.04.10-14.52.20 by Patrick, on Flickr

The downside of the PRO lens is when I had the Panny 12-35 I actually used my little primes a lot more. Now that I use the 12-100 PRO the primes have been a bit neglected lately. I need to make a point to get back out more with just a prime or two.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I am really enjoying the focal length (with no sacrifice of image quality which is often the trade off with super zoom lenses). For years I used the 12-60 on four-thirds and when I started shooting the Panny 12-35 on m43 I really missed the longer end. And one of the reasons is because as a walking around lens the 12-60 and now the 12-100, there are many shots where even though I could get as close as I wanted to my subject, purposely backing up and shooting more on the 60/100 end gives me a more pleasing perspective than something shot closer to the wide to "normal" focal lengths and often will result in a better separation of my intended subject matter and the background.

Kind of an example of what I mean where I could have walked right up to this and shot it @12-25mm but chose to stay further back allow the marker itself to be a bit more isolated from the background as well as compressing the rock wall in with the marker where the perspective of a wide angle would have made them appear much further apart...

View attachment 904561 2021.04.10-14.52.20 by Patrick, on Flickr

The downside of the PRO lens is when I had the Panny 12-35 I actually used my little primes a lot more. Now that I use the 12-100 PRO the primes have been a bit neglected lately. I need to make a point to get back out more with just a prime or two.
This reminds me of a really good set of blog posts I read by David duChemin a while back. Starting with this one: https://davidduchemin.com/2015/07/learn-to-isolate/

David duChemin said:
The most obvious move in pursuing a more isolated subject is to use the longer telephoto lens, and that often leads to beautifully simple images, free from extraneous elements. Next time you’re trying to really isolate something, try backing up and using a longer lens. But that’s the next lesson, so I’m getting ahead of myself. It’s also not the only way to use optics to make a subject stand out.

David duChemin said:
A wide-angle lens can also be used to isolate, though it’ll involve both a change of optics (put that wide angle lens on!) and a change in position (get as close as you dare!). A wide-angle lens pushed in close will still be a wide-angle lens and will still include more elements than a tighter, longer, lens. So how can that be used to isolate? Isolating an element is about making it more prominent than others, giving it greater visual mass, and diminishing distractions. When you push a wider lens much closer to your subject, in the right circumstances it does two things simultaneously: it enlarges the subject and diminishes the rest. When a longer lens doesn’t give you the look you’re hoping for, or excludes too much of the context, try going much wider and much closer.

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
David duChemin said:
When you push a wider lens much closer to your subject, in the right circumstances it does two things simultaneously: it enlarges the subject and diminishes the rest. When a longer lens doesn’t give you the look you’re hoping for, or excludes too much of the context, try going much wider and much closer.

Ya which further explains how great the 12-100 is because as he describes, if the long focal length doesn't work for you, then get in really close with the wide angle, you can do both with this same lens. In my example photo above, had I decided I didn't want the rock wall in the photo and only have the marker standing by itself, I could have moved in with the wider focal length effectively pushing the rock wall off to the side. Such a versatile lens with top notch image quality at all focal lengths.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Ya which further explains how great the 12-100 is because as he describes, if the long focal length doesn't work for you, then get in really close with the wide angle, you can do both with this same lens. In my example photo above, had I decided I didn't want the rock wall in the photo and only have the marker standing by itself, I could have moved in with the wider focal length effectively pushing the rock wall off to the side. Such a versatile lens with top notch image quality at all focal lengths.
Agree. I'm seriously contemplating the 8-25 for the same reasons.

petegiu

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Giuseppe Petenzi
Vivione pass, Italy
E-M1 Mark II Oly 12-100 f4 IS pro
3PEG8301.jpg

petegiu

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Giuseppe Petenzi
Ardesio (Italy)
E-M1 Mark II Oly 12-100 f4 IS pro
3PEG8387-Modifica.jpg

IMoL

Lost in the forest
Real Name
Steve
A walk along the river in Ängelholm, Sweden:
P8221843.jpg
P8221849.jpg
P8221805.jpg

llondru

Mu-43 Regular
So happy with this lens : invaluable for trips, it gets 95% of the shots.

North spain (Asturias) on early september:

51440347558_703cd405c2_b.jpg
Lago Enol by Ferran, en Flickr

51453949384_9f89a121dd_b.jpg
Lastres by Ferran, en Flickr

51513558292_84925932e8_b.jpg
Mother & Daughter by Ferran, en Flickr

51509413962_b376789ff8_b.jpg
Cudillero, Asturias by Ferran, en Flickr

51446009241_b4cbded8ae_b.jpg
Rainy day in Oviedo by Ferran, en Flickr

51473217675_4dd820a5f7_b.jpg
Santuario de Covadonga by Ferran, en Flickr

51492042536_63941cec8e_b.jpg
Concrete, Sea & Sky by Ferran, en Flickr

51506135126_ae3fee744c_b.jpg
Lago Ercina by Ferran, en Flickr

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom