Olympus 12-100 Pro Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Paul80, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

Thinking of getting the Olympus 12-100 Pro Lens to use in my Panasonic G80, but have a few questions I can't find he answer to

This lens has built in Image Stabalisation
    Will the IOS work on my G80
    Will it work with the G80's Dual Stabalisation system
    How does the Olympus 2 axis ois compare to Panasonic's lens bases ois.

Thanks for any input on this

Paul

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, no and significantly better!

Seriously, the OIS in the 12-100 is amazing. In conjunction with IBIS, it's unreal. I can reliability do 8s handheld exposures at 12mm. I think much of this is down to the OIS.

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Paul80Paul80 You have to choose which I.S. system to use on the G80 - because, as Paul stated, Dual I.S. won't work. I'd test it out, but am inclined to agree: Use the O.I.S. in the lens.

M.

4. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

Thanks for the reply

Just got the lens and had a quick check

with the lens attached the in body Stabilisation is disabled and cannot be selected, (Its greyed out in the menu option) the on lens switch turns the lens stabilisation on and off but has no effect on the body system.

So its built in lens system or nothing with my G80 with latest firmware on both body and lens.

Paul

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. MillsArt

MillsArt Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I can confirm that my Gx8 works the exact same way with this lens mounted. The OIS in the lens is very good though, much better than the GX8 IBIS, G80 has a better IBIS system, but I'd still guess the lens IS is better.
    Strange though that you can't pick which you want to use, guess just one of those little "gotchas" with Panny on Olympus and vice-versa

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    All I can say is that with my Olympus E-M10 and the Panasonic 100-300mm II, I actually get to choose; O.I.S. works perfectly well (and with this focal length, obviously better than I.B.I.S.), so I'm quite happy. I wasn't aware that Panasonic wouldn't let you choose - but then, there are only a very small number of Olympus lenses with O.I.S., so the problem is a rather recent one; and furthermore, they basically do the right thing (when in doubt, use O.I.S.). Still, the choice thing should be easy to address in firmware ... should they want to.

M.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. MillsArt

MillsArt Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I've always heard it should be an easy firmware fix to allow Olympus cameras make use of the aperture ring on some Panasonic lenses and about 4 year I'm still waiting on that feature lol

• Agree Agree x 1