Olympus 100-400mm f5-f6.3 AF-C Question

Good Evening,

I'm looking at the purchase of the Oly 100-400 for use with daytime sports (soccer, lacrosse, baseball, etc...) and want to know how good is the AF-C and AF-C Tracking is with an E-M1ii (or better)? I currently use a Canon 1D MkIV with the EF 100-400mm f4-5.6 L II for these events with really good success, but it is a heavy load that requires use of a monopod, at least for me, over the 2-3 hours that I can be shooting for.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Regards,

Edd

c12402

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Juan Guerrero
Good Evening,

I'm looking at the purchase of the Oly 100-400 for use with daytime sports (soccer, lacrosse, baseball, etc...) and want to know how good is the AF-C and AF-C Tracking is with an E-M1ii (or better)? I currently use a Canon 1D MkIV with the EF 100-400mm f4-5.6 L II for these events with really good success, but it is a heavy load that requires use of a monopod, at least for me, over the 2-3 hours that I can be shooting for.

Regards,

Edd
I use it with the EM1X for wildlife. I can say it’s the fastest lens of Olympus nowadays, not sure how it compares with Canon, it has almost instant focus, no hunting or delays.

Juan,

Thanks for your reply, most appreciated. I think that I may be best served by a 5-7 day rental before I plunk down significant cash for something that I might or might not find useful for my purposes as I am not a "Pro" with regards to photography...

Regards,

Edd

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You are probably aware of this already, but you should keep in mind that the Olympus 100-400mm F5-6.3 provides a different field-of-view compared to the Canon 100-400mm F4-5.6 II on your 1D IV. The Olympus provides narrower FOV and sacrifices some brightness in terms of max aperture to achieve that. The longer reach of the Olympus might help you but the slower shutter speeds may not be in your best interests for sports photography. Renting might be a good idea.

Real Name
Walter
@Roboticspro. Actually, the 40-150 f2.8 Pro + MC-14 comes out to 56-210 f4, which is equivalent to 112 - 420 mm for an FF camera. It's a pretty sweet combo. As @doady hinted, the Oly 100-400 would be eFOV to a 200-800 for an FF body. Maybe the 40-150 Pro combo might be worth considering.

If you want the best AF for sports, the EM1X would probably be your best bet, with a Tracking AF mode just for sports.
A combo with the 40-150 Pro+MC-14 would be significantly lighter and more compact.
https://camerasize.com/compact/#812.444,812.917,153.447,ha,t

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Good Evening,

Regards,

Edd

Your EF 100-400 on a FF camera is a 2-8x zoom.
The m4/3 equivalent is a 50-200, not a 100-400.
Either the Olympus 40-150/2.8 or Panasonic/Leica 50-200/2.8-4​
A 100-400 on a m4/3 camera would be a 4-16x zoom.

WHERE are you shooting from? Sidelines or bleachers?

I shoot high school sports with both m4/3 and APS-C.

I shoot baseball and softball with the Olympus 75-300.
When I am outside the outfield fence, at 300mm I have to use a monopod, not for the weight, but to steady the rig at that 12x magnification.
Next year I will be switching to a 40-150/2.8 + MC20 2x teleconverter. For me the MC20 was a cheaper option than the 100-400.
When I am near the infield, I switch to a 12-100. I am sometimes pretty close to 1st and 3rd bases.

I shoot football, soccer and lacrosse, on the sidelines, with a 70-200/4 on an APS-C camera. No monopod needed.
I expect that an EM1-mk2 + 100-400 would not require a monopod either. But . . .
To me, a 100-400 on m4/3 on the sidelines is too LONG. Sometimes 70mm on my APS-C camera is too long, when the players get close. For the sidelines, I think the Olympus 40-150/2.8 or Panasonic/Leica 50-200/2.8-4 is a better choice.
If I shot with a 100-400, I would have a second camera with a 35-100/2.8 or 40-150/2.8, for when the action gets too close for the 100-400.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As for AF-C on the EM1-mk2, I think it does just fine.
I use it for sports (tennis, baseball, softball, track and field) and do not have any problem with moving subjects.

Shooting football, soccer, and lacrosse, I generally use SINGLE POINT AF.
This is because I am often threading the shot between other players. So I need to be able to place the AF directly on MY subject, ignoring the other near-by players. And subject tracking is ME, not the camera. When my subject runs behind another player, I track my subject. On a team everybody on the team is wearing the SAME uniform.

I think the AF on the EM1X is better suited for sports work than the EM1-mk2.
But I did not want to lug the extra weight of the EM1X.

Good Morning,

I want to thank everyone for the responses; I am going to bring an MFT kit (E-M1ii & M40-150mm f2.8 with MC-14) along with my Canon setup to a "Captains Practice" for soccer & lacrosse next week to compare the results. I will think about renting the Oly 100-400mm down the road as it probably is too much F.L. as I do shoot directly on/around the sidelines. I included one shot from the EF 70-200 f2.8 L ii which is a "91mm-260mm" on the Canon 1D Mk IV (not FF...1.3X C.F.).

Regards,

Edd

WGS-SK-V1-49.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
WBLX101.JPG
WBBB14.JPG

Last edited:
Well I can tell how it used to be .......... tomorrow rugby returns for the first time in 18 months. Hope I can remember the settings and where to point the bloody thing!!

I had Canon 1D and 5D's before and also had 100-400 Mk2. Was a great setup. Now I have EM1-X and 40-150. I do not need to use TC ... usual settings are about 1/1250 sec, F4 and ISO set as low as possible but often 6400 range. Canon was on monopod and I sometime use it with EM1-X but not often as it is so light. I use single point AF and C-AF but not tracking or face detection. Used to be happy with the results - will see tomorrow !!

Good Morning,

The Laird:

Thanks for your insight, most helpful.

Rugby...now that is a field sport I would enjoy to see in-person. Not sure of any local schools (public or private) have teams so I need to inquire. Hope your photo session(s) work out well with the MTF gear; I wonder about the subject isolation that I will miss coming from a larger format...the photos will have the answers, hopefully.

Regards,

Edd

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Good Morning,

I want to thank everyone for the responses; I am going to bring an MFT kit (E-M1ii & M40-150mm f2.8 with MC-14) along with my Canon setup to a "Captains Practice" for soccer & lacrosse next week to compare the results. I will think about renting the Oly 100-400mm down the road as it probably is too much F.L. as I do shoot directly on/around the sidelines. I included one shot from the EF 70-200 f2.8 L ii which is a "91mm-260mm" on the Canon 1D Mk IV (not FF...1.3X C.F.).

Regards,

Edd

Dang crop factors.
That is why rather than "FF equivalent," I use magnification.
For me, since I deal in several formats in digital and film, "2x magnification" is easier to think about than "100mm FF equivalent."
Just divide the focal length by the "normal lens" for that format, and you have the magnification. 150 / 25 = 6x

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Maybe because I came from a point and shoot camera with a 5.7-22.9mm lens, but I always use EFL or "full frame equivalent", so thinking of a 70-200mm lens as "91-260mm" makes the most sense to me. "Magnification" might be get confusing if you start talking about zoom lenses or macro lenses.

I've never tried to photograph sports before with my new 12-100mm (24-200mm EFL) so I find OP's photos interesting. I am an idiot, I only found out about the existence of "C-AF" mode a few days ago, and it might be good to learn and practice using it.

Real Name
Walter
Good Morning,

Regards,

Edd

View attachment 904010 View attachment 904011 View attachment 904012

Well, I learned something new. I always thought the 1D series were 35 mm FF format. The 1D IV is APS-H. Surprised me.
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...as/support-dslr/eos-1d-mark-iv/eos-1d-mark-iv

Good Evening,

The 1D series bodies could be used to drive nails and then shoot a couple of thousand photos, all while not needing a battery change. Their size and weight, for me at least, takes some of the fun out of the hobby for me, so MFT has helped me with the transition. I won't give up using the old gears, but the carrying of that gear does put a moment of pause about what goes in the backpack...

Again, thanks for all the responses made to this question...:thumbup:

Regards,

Edd

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Maybe because I came from a point and shoot camera with a 5.7-22.9mm lens, but I always use EFL or "full frame equivalent", so thinking of a 70-200mm lens as "91-260mm" makes the most sense to me. "Magnification" might be get confusing if you start talking about zoom lenses or macro lenses.

I've never tried to photograph sports before with my new 12-100mm (24-200mm EFL) so I find OP's photos interesting. I am an idiot, I only found out about the existence of "C-AF" mode a few days ago, and it might be good to learn and practice using it.

Zoom lens is not an issue, a 40-150 = 1.6-6x
Zoom spotting scopes used this description for years.

I agree, macro is a different matter, as the same lens will have different magnification ratios based on how far it is from the focal plane.

Real Name
Walter

I found that C-AF worked very well with the EM1 and later for shooting kids soccer games. I think it works best with the EM1 series with Hybrid AF. Maybe the EM5 III too. I tried C-AF with my old EM5 and the 40-150 R and it was awful. C-AF worked well on the EM1 even with my 4/3rd 50-200 SWD+EC-14. I used a 5x5 AF grid, aperture priority, and ISO high enough to keep the shutter speed up. That was my main sports shooting setup for a couple of years.

Good Evening,

"TheLaird"...thanks for posting the "You need leather balls to play Rugby" photos. I did some research an found that the U.S. Naval Academy Prep School in Newport (RI) has an intramural team, so I will make a trip over to see the "grit".

Regards,

Edd

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom