Olympus 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS lens

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
All I was saying was that the focal lengths don't change. Is that quicker and better ;) The only thing that changes is the size of the sensor.

All the best.

Danny.
This is my fault. A few days ago in this thread I got sidetracked some with discussing monopods. I said, " Concerning whether to use IS on a monopod, this is a topic that has been argued about (discussed) for years and years. It's almost as long-going as whether crop factor is magnification or not (oh no, I've mentioned it; now we're in for it!!)."

But, um, I was just kidding. Let's not beat this dead horse again, please!! Most people nowadays seem to use the term "reach" to avoid using the term "magnification" and driving other people insane. :)

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
This video should help people get a feel for the IS performance on this lens, and how the various modes compare to the Sync-IS available on PRO lenses:

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
The 100-400mm would be a nice match to your new EM1 MK3.
Speaking of which, could we hope for some kind of combo deal with these 2 items? Olympus DOES sometimes bundle new items, I think, and sometimes fairly early in the products' introduction. Or am I just dreaming...

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Speaking of which, could we hope for some kind of combo deal with these 2 items? Olympus DOES sometimes bundle new items, I think, and sometimes fairly early in the products' introduction. Or am I just dreaming...

I can’t recall seeing anything like that from Olympus, but it’s always worth sounding out a dealer - there are still plenty of businesses around who can’t tell the difference between turnover and profit.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
ThePhoblographer has their review of the 100-400. Builds on their earlier first-impressions article.
https://www.thephoblographer.com/20...ffordable-olympus-100-400mm-f5-6-3-is-review/

There is one comment that isn't quite correct.

"This lens does not work in conjunction with the IBIS in Olympus camera bodies, so you either use the IS in the lens or the body."

The IS is either OIS or IBIS or when combined (both on at once) the body will just use 'roll' correction (as added in a FW update to other bodies besides the E-M1 III that already had it).

It doesn't sync with the body IBIS with Sync IS, but the lenses OIS & body IBIS roll only would take care of most critical movement (roll probably from heavy handed shutter button press).

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I've settled on the Oly if i am to buy one of the 100-400's. Purely because it can take the converters, which i already have with the 40-150 kit, whereas the Pana cannot. Won't be any time soon though.

evilmeta

Mu-43 Veteran
Everybody hold their horses! This could be an absolute game changer...
EC77529C-93B3-417D-BBCE-13D68B879987.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Everybody hold their horses! This could be an absolute game changer... View attachment 841729
It's not the first time that Park cameras has made such an error on their website. I have actually bought two items from them on pre-order that were priced incorrectly. One was a Panasonic lens priced at 1/3rd of its stock price. The other was a Ricoh camera priced at just £10.00. I did cancel the camera order out of guilt when they notified me that it was ready to be shipped.

evilmeta

Mu-43 Veteran
It's not the first time that Park cameras has made such an error on their website. I have actually bought two items from them on pre-order that were priced incorrectly. One was a Panasonic lens priced at 1/3rd of its stock price. The other was a Ricoh camera priced at just £10.00. I did cancel the camera order out of guilt when they notified me that it was ready to be shipped.
To be fair, clicking on the link shows price TBC. Expect it’s just a google search abnormality. I thought it was quite entertaining though.
I quite like Park cameras - have had good experiences ordering from them before. My general go to is SRS though.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just about every lens and camera that I bought new came from Park Cameras. I find their service great, and prices more competitive if you go for a bundle deal.

Real Name
Walter
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but here's some videos talking about the IS in the 100-400.

Robin answers some Qs about the 100-400. Why doesn’t the 100–400 have Sync IS?

How well does IS work for video on the 100-400? Testing Mathieu Gasquet’s handholding ability too. Not so easy at 400 mm, but he did well.

Rob Knight also tests out the IS. (Oops, @comment23 already posted a link to this. Sorry)

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I'm watching that Mathieu Gasquet video imagining that I was taking stills with those views in the viewfinder. Absolutely you'd be able to get good shots at a reasonable ISO (3200 and below), IMHO. Impressive.

Latest threads

Top Bottom