Olympus 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS lens

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I highly doubt that this is a mistake they are trying to fix. They released the firmware update before the lens even has gone on sale, as they always do when releasing a new lens with specific features, so this was their plan all along. If the reviewers didn’t have the benefit of this firmware update, then the jury is still out as to how good the IS will be.
And it's obvious the firmware was already in the E-M1 III (except for Focus Stacking being the only added FW).

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
Its not Sync IS stabel but seems to be quite effective for what it is...

Real Name
Walter
Eric Leroy was using the E-M1X before the FW update too.

I was just thinking that the pros and visionaries were probably seeded with a pre-release version of the firmware update too, if they were allowed to use the pre-release lenses. Wouldn't it make sense to for Olympus to make sure they had a fully functioning kit before they wrote or filmed their reviews? And, someone would have to beta test the firmware anyway. Hmm... I think they already had it.

Last edited:

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Gordon Laing has said (in the comments section of the CameraLabs YT review) that Olympus supplied a body specifically to test this lens. Although he has since returned it without noting the FW rev, it appears likely the FW that testers had was the most recent (or a beta of same).

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
You couldn't add a $30 grip to your E-M10ii?
I agree should work fine
I have the cheap aluminium grip on my EM10.2, while not as comfortable as the EM1 series it really helps for longer lenses like the 40-150 pro.
The only down side of the after market grips is the shutter button is further back but you soon get used to that.

Edit
corrected the camera to EM10.2

Last edited:

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
From looking at the firmware update release notes, I think the nature of the IS makes more sense to me. My hypothesis is that the lens OIS and IBIS are not working together in a combined, optimal way as per Sync IS, but instead what they've done is made the IBIS only do roll compensation (locking pitch and yaw) when the OIS is also enabled, to at least prevent them from fighting each other. This specifically has to be enabled via firmware update, since normally, a lens declaring OIS on via a physical switch will force the IBIS off (i.e. you were never able to turn both OIS and IBIS on together). This lens perhaps introduces a compromise where they can both be enabled without fighting.

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
After enjoying the use of my 75-300 at Yellowstone last month, and looking at everyone else with Canon and Nikon 600 and 800mm gear, I'm happy to see the size, weight and designed mtf of the 100-400. That's now on my list.

Glad for you! Indeed! It certainly looks a great bargain lens for such committed use! Even more so looking at the MTF diagrams vs the cost. I am sure many folks will be delighted with this lens for such use vs the alternatives so far. Surely a lens great to use a full day long in such great enviroments.

A better 75-300? That is f6.7 at 300mm. The 100-400 is f6.3 at 400mm. It has to be larger in diameter for that to happen.

0.4? Who cares? A stop and more, yeah we can argue on that. But is it that wide and long because 2/3s of this lens are scaled for an FF sensor image circle? At that price and the above use, who cares? For my daily living use, nope, it is just too big to haul along as I always do with the 75-300 in my bag wherever I go in daytime.

You couldn't add a $30 grip to your E-M10ii?

A grip attached is a grip that usually stays there so why get the petite EM10 in the first place? And if I go over to the E-M1 size it may not go along the X100 in the bag but instead stay at home to keep company to that 100-400 that —>

Sorry, but you don't have to buy it.

—>I’ll never buy.
So now YOU have to buy TWO of them to make up the marketing losses for the NewCoOly ?.

Maybe the Pany 100-400 will be my first Pany lens... hmmm, no Sync-IS with my future M5iii, no repairing possible, stories of machining irregularities... nah, the 75-300 is here to stay! Better stop reading this thread as it gets nowhere for my needs. A Pany body? Only one I liked was the GX8 and they killed that line.

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I agree should work fine
I have the cheap aluminium grip on my EM1.2, while not as comfortable as the EM1 series it really helps for longer lenses like the 40-150 pro.
The only down side of the after market grips is the shutter button is further back but you soon get used to that.
You mean your EM10.2, right? (just from the context)

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Autoplaying huge video with audio, ugh. Why do web designers do this? :rolleyes-38:

I have now created an account with username/password both "bugmenot", so that everyone can access the article.
No idea. I’ve only viewed in a mobile device and the web designer had at least thought to disable the auto playing video for mobile.

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
No idea. I’ve only viewed in a mobile device and the web designer had at least thought to disable the auto playing video for mobile.
No blame on you, of course. Thank you for sharing the valuable review here! I'm just complaining about the website owner's decisions. But I guess email addresses are worth money, so they get an incentive to do such things.

Phocal

God
No blame on you, of course. Thank you for sharing the valuable review here! I'm just complaining about the website owner's decisions. But I guess email addresses are worth money, so they get an incentive to do such things.

That is why I have spam email address that I never check unless I need to reply to a confirm email for joining a website. They can send all the spam they want to that account, I never look at it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom