Olympus 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS lens

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A nice review but I wonder if part of the specs were just copied from somewhere. That focus clutch that had a lot of people hoping shows up in the review.
Unless I missinterpret context or something.
------------------Copied from review-----------------------------------
This lens is also equipped with a Focus Clutch and a Focus Limiter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
A nice review but I wonder if part of the specs were just copied from somewhere. That focus clutch that had a lot of people hoping shows up in the review.
Unless I missinterpret context or something.
------------------Copied from review-----------------------------------
This lens is also equipped with a Focus Clutch and a Focus Limiter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
We know by now that the "focus clutch" is a MF/AF focus switch. I suppose it does the same thing as the clutch found in Olympus Pro lenses but not activated by the focus ring itself.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I don't think there is mechanical linking though (as in Pro lenses) but just "Focus by Wire", even if it is good.
I'm pretty sure even the Pro lenses focus by wire. They don't use mechanical focus.
https://opticallimits.com/m43/945_olympus40150f28pro
Manual focusing works "by wire" thus the AF motor is actuated via the focus ring. This system works just fine.
https://opticallimits.com/m43/1006_olympus12100f4pro
As usual manual focusing works "by wire" but you barely notice the difference compared to a mechanically-coupled system. In fact precise manual focusing is probably easier than on most conventional lenses because the focus path is longer.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We know by now that the "focus clutch" is a MF/AF focus switch. I suppose it does the same thing as the clutch found in Olympus Pro lenses but not activated by the focus ring itself.
You are right, I probably worded it poorly
I suppose I was wondering why put " Focus Clutch and a Focus Limiter." when there is only a focus limiter switch.
If my memory serves me correctly [which it doesent these days] " Focus Clutch and a Focus Limiter." was mentioned in some of the rumors.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
These reviews are interesting, especially Rob Knight's and what he said about the keeper rate vs the PL100-400 (and @Alberta Dave having similar results with the PL). I really am thinking that the lens is going to be a good one and even good bang-for-bucks.
Rob's follow-up video 3 days later had reservations about the lower light ability of the Lens IS plus body IS vs. the Sync IS on the 300 Pro. He was shooting in a shaded state park and said he did not feel as comfortable at 1/100 second with the 100-400 as he would be with the 300 Pro. He mentioned in the previous video he could shoot the 300 f4 Pro and TC at 1/10 second with Sync IS. He final comment in this new video was that the 40-150 with IBIS and 300 Pro with Sync IS will be better in lower light. This is what we all should have expected, as there is no free lunch. Glad to see he was honest about it, unlike some others, and knowing this I am still most likely to buy later this year.

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
You are right, I probably worded it poorly
I suppose I was wondering why put " Focus Clutch and a Focus Limiter." when there is only a focus limiter switch.
If my memory serves me correctly [which it doesent these days] " Focus Clutch and a Focus Limiter." was mentioned in some of the rumors.
The photos of the lens show that it has four switches on the lens. The three on the left side are Focus Limiter, MF/AF, and IS on/off. The one on the right side is Zoom Lock. This is from Getolympus.com. So, the AF/MF switch is independent.

100-400mm_keypanel_5_2x.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I'm pretty sure even the Pro lenses focus by wire. They don't use mechanical focus.
https://opticallimits.com/m43/945_olympus40150f28pro
Manual focusing works "by wire" thus the AF motor is actuated via the focus ring. This system works just fine.
https://opticallimits.com/m43/1006_olympus12100f4pro
As usual manual focusing works "by wire" but you barely notice the difference compared to a mechanically-coupled system. In fact precise manual focusing is probably easier than on most conventional lenses because the focus path is longer.
Except the 'clutch' allows going to a specific focus point & that has disadvantages too, so the switch means it is possible to AF then switch MF to hold it there (I think Rob says that).

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Except the 'clutch' allows going to a specific focus point & that has disadvantages too, so the switch means it is possible to AF then switch MF to hold it there (I think Rob says that).
That was my take on what he said as well.
All up for the price this lens looks to be OK. If Oly survives this year this looks to be my next purchase in the [hopfully] new year sales.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Yes. I mentioned this in another thread - Tokina lenses have been CRITICISED for years in Canon country because they use focus clutch. Now I get over in m43 territory and folks are saying the opposite. The BIG criticism of the clutch is that if you use a fairly standard technique of doing an AF to get in the ballpark and then switch to MF to fine-tune, that large movement of the clutch movement is apt to destroy the focus. A small switch movement is much less disruptive. Myself, I prefer the switch.

I think perhaps for a big telephoto like this, it might be better suited to the clutch. Most Tokina lenses are ultra-wides and macros.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes. I mentioned this in another thread - Tokina lenses have been CRITICISED for years in Canon country because they use focus clutch. Now I get over in m43 territory and folks are saying the opposite. The BIG criticism of the clutch is that if you use a fairly standard technique of doing an AF to get in the ballpark and then switch to MF to fine-tune, that large movement of the clutch movement is apt to destroy the focus. A small switch movement is much less disruptive. Myself, I prefer the switch.

I think perhaps for a big telephoto like this, it might be better suited to the clutch. Most Tokina lenses are ultra-wides and macros.
If I remember correctly (I've only used one once on a Test&Wow) the Olympus Pro lens clutch mechanism works so that you can either use it normally (for example to finetune) and then it will be your average focus by wire system, or you can engage the clutch which will also engage MF automatically (overriding settings on the camera) and give you hard stops at both ends. It really is the best of both worlds. If you don't use the clutch you can still change to MF on the camera body.

So possibly the Olympus implementation is just better than the Tokina one and therefore doesn't get criticised?

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
or at least a monopod - looking at the size of the combo I thought that Oly should have “gym subscription included”

speaking of monopods, how much compatible is IS / Sync-IS with monopods?
I use IS with a monopod.
While the monopod takes care of vertical movement, it still rocks side to side, so the horizontal axis needs stabilization.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
or at least a monopod - looking at the size of the combo I thought that Oly should have “gym subscription included”

speaking of monopods, how much compatible is IS / Sync-IS with monopods?
One thing that I don't know how IS deals with is the front/back rocking on a monopod.
The thing is, the front/back rock introduces an elevation instability; as you rock forward the lens points down, as you rock backwards the lens points up.
But it is due primarily to the lens changing angle, rather than a vertical motion of the lens. Although there is a vertical component in the front/back rock.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I do own a very sweet manfroto monopod, but I never use it.
I have used my tripod as a monopod many times however. More versatile!
This morning I spent time in our biggest city camera shop, hoping to see this lens, but no sign of it... :(
I nearly walked out with a brand new M1 mkii and accompanying 50-150 2.8... but came to my senses when I checked my wallet and only some old moths flew out.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom