Olympus 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS lens

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
from the outside this new Oly 100-400 looks like my cheap and cheerful 75-300 on my E-M10ii but scaled up for the E-M1ii/iii bodies in all dimensions, built quality and cost - I wonder if it would be awkward to hold on the smaller bodies - if yes, then I must include an E-M1ii in my upgrading path and this may kill the sale for me
It’s a step up in build quality from the 75-300 II. More like the 14-150 II and 12-200.

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Someone on DPR did a nice overlay of the Sigma and Olympus design images to show up one clear difference. The Olympus uses somewhat smaller diameter lens elements in the rear most group. The curvatures and positions seem to be the same though.

This makes sense as a straightforward adaption of the design for m43 where a smaller image circle can be used and so those elements don’t need to be as large.

This also jives with a review that pointed out the rearmost element on the Olympus is smaller than the Sigma’s.

So again, while it sure seems to be using the Sigma design nearly element for element this isn’t just the Sigma lens rebranded.

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
however, there could be significant more size&weight at the first half of the lens if it is identical to the FF design dictating a larger barrel all over,
which would make sense given the lower price target and faster=cheaper total R&D even more so using the Sigma ready to use element dies and stock

but would produce an unnecessary bigger lens and I suspect this is the case here

now I grumble for size+weight, if it was a fully m43 optimized design I would grumble for the price tag, oh well...

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
And the 300/4.
I think the 300/4 and the 200/2.8 are in a league of their own until the 150-400 comes out. People either want the convenience of a zoom or the light gathering and sharpness of a prime. I don't think better IS in the 100-400 would make people buy it over the 300/4.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think the 300/4 and the 200/2.8 are in a league of their own until the 150-400 comes out. People either want the convenience of a zoom or the light gathering and sharpness of a prime. I don't think better IS in the 100-400 would make people buy it over the 300/4.
It would depend on cost but a few like myself prefer zooms even though there is an IQ penalty because I would miss so many shots with a prime it would outway the IQ penalty.
But I am a raw beginner at wildlife so a more experienced person may choose differently.

Luckily we have the choice :thumbup:

Lawrence Beck

Mu-43 Regular
I personally couldn't disagree more. The 300 f4 has dual sync IS and this is what makes it hand holdable with both teleconverters... though less so with the 2X. A number of photographers over on the Miranda forum who have shot with the 300 + 1.4 and the Panasonic 100-400 claim that the Panasonic they had was just as sharp at 400mm as the Olympus was at 420mm with the 1.4TC attached. Some even posted samples.
That alone made the Panasonic 100-400 preferable to the Olympus 300, for the type of photography I do. The problem is that I shoot with Olympus cameras so I wouldn't have the dual sync IS that I'd have were I shoting with the G9. So I've been waiting for the Olympus 100-400 as dual sync IS would make it preferable to the Panasonic for use on Olympus cameras.
Given that preliminary tests are showing that the Olympus is sharper at 400mm focal length than the Panasonic 100-400 at 400mm the only thing that keeps me from buying it is lack of dual sync IS. While it might not be a big deal at focal lengths under 300mm, most will buy this lens for the 400mm reach, and lack of dual sync IS will account for a lower keeper rate at 560mm wide open with the 1.4 tc attached. Dual sync IS would reduce the need for a monopod or tripod in many lighting conditions.
Thus far no one has posted hand held images of the Olympus 100-400 with the 1.4 or 2X converters. That will speak volumes about the need for (or not) Dual sync IS.

Real Name
Dave Cherry
I'm also disappointed by the size/weight and the lack of true dual synch IS. But if the lens is really sharp, I can live with it until the 150-400 comes out. Or maybe longer if the 150-400 is too pricey.

Someone mentioned no "*" for this lens in the Oly roadmap. This is probably an oversight, as the specs and literature clearly state is is weather and dust resistant. That would have been a deal breaker for me.

I personally couldn't disagree more. The 300 f4 has dual sync IS and this is what makes it hand holdable with both teleconverters... though less so with the 2X. A number of photographers over on the Miranda forum who have shot with the 300 + 1.4 and the Panasonic 100-400 claim that the Panasonic they had was just as sharp at 400mm as the Olympus was at 420mm with the 1.4TC attached. Some even posted samples.
That alone made the Panasonic 100-400 preferable to the Olympus 300, for the type of photography I do. The problem is that I shoot with Olympus cameras so I wouldn't have the dual sync IS that I'd have were I shoting with the G9. So I've been waiting for the Olympus 100-400 as dual sync IS would make it preferable to the Panasonic for use on Olympus cameras.
Given that preliminary tests are showing that the Olympus is sharper at 400mm focal length than the Panasonic 100-400 at 400mm the only thing that keeps me from buying it is lack of dual sync IS. While it might not be a big deal at focal lengths under 300mm, most will buy this lens for the 400mm reach, and lack of dual sync IS will account for a lower keeper rate at 560mm wide open with the 1.4 tc attached. Dual sync IS would reduce the need for a monopod or tripod in many lighting conditions.
Thus far no one has posted hand held images of the Olympus 100-400 with the 1.4 or 2X converters. That will speak volumes about the need for (or not) Dual sync IS.
With 2xTC:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/20...lympus-100-400mm-f5-6-3-is-first-impressions/

Lawrence Beck

Mu-43 Regular
I've asked Brett to post a 100% crop of his best hand held hummingbird shot with the 100-400 + 2X. A crop will tell the story, where a 700 pixel wide full frame image at 72dpi doesn't begin to show what the lens is capable of.
Thanks for your post. It will be interesting to see if he responds with a crop of the hummingbird.
An illustration:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The above shot is already cropped square. A 100% crop would better show what the 400 2.8 APO lens with a 1.4 APO TC can do (disregard the exif. The Leitax adapter for my Leica 400 2.8 indicated a 50mm f1.4 lens, which I don't own. Sony A77 apsc camera so this is a 784mm focal length capture:

Lawrence Beck

Mu-43 Regular
Show us a photo of the 400 2.8
We need proof...
You are too funny... Bushboy! And no, I don't shoot hummingbirds with stacked tc's. Just the moon... but just for you:
P1060842.jpg

P1060843.jpg

There's a German photographer on youtube named Marcus Stark who posted several videos whot with his 400 with stacked teleconverters (1.4 and two 2X tc's), shot on a Panasonic GH4 in 2016. His 4K footage is mind blowing, so I tried to see what I could do with the same lens and teleconverters minus one 2X.
I didn't realize how much atmospherics come into play with moon shots, and since I was living on the Sea of Cortez, Mexico with high humidity and constant dust blowing off the Sonora Desert I was disappointed that I couldn't approach what Marcus created. Then I looked into how atmospherics impact super telephoto lenses and it made sense.
Now that I'm back on the Pacific Coast and south of San Diego the conditions are more favorable to moon shots and the lens is performing as it should. A shot was just posted on the moon thread, taken five days ago with stacked teleconverters. Unfortunately significant sharpness is lost in the conversion from the tiff to the 1600 pixel wide jpg.
What really amazes me about Stark's moon footage is that the GH4 had no image stabilization! He must have a tripod used for astro tracking that will hold a 17 lb camera and lens, as I've tried shooting the moon with my Samsung NX1 and absent in body image stabilization I can't get a sharp image.
Now I'm wondering what might be possible by merging 20 or more shots? If I could just get a few shots of Elon's crashed Tesla in a crater I could sell a few prints!!!

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter

Lawrence Beck

Mu-43 Regular
He has a Miele vacuum cleaner too. Obviously a connoisseur.
OMG you are very observant, Richard. I saw that after shooting the image and wanted to reshoot but it's 2 am and I'm done for the night!
I'm pretty sure that Peter Baumgarten's shots with the 100-400 + MC-14 were handheld. I was pretty impressed.
https://www.creativeislandphoto.com/blog/a-day-at-the-lake
Sharpening software is so good that most web jpgs can be made to look sharp by a skilled photographer. A 100% crop, on the other hand, is where the rubber meets the road. You can't fake detail where it doesn't exist. Call me a skeptic, but I'll withhold a purchase order until I can see 100% crops from handheld images made with the 1.4 tc at 400mm. I'm hoping Olympus will post some full res jpgs taken with the aforementioned specs.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom