Olympus 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS lens

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Sure the sync IS is a bit of a disappointment but the IS seems to be quite effective, and according to mirrolesscomparision the Olympus shows superior performance at 400mm compared to the PL 100-400.
And it’s only £1099 upon release !
Its called a compromise
Olympus has had much criticism for releasing products that are too expensive in the market place for the system
They've obviously made this Lens to a price point rather than to ultimate performance

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
If you want Ultimate performance buy the 150-400 f4.5 when it is released
If you want very good but not perfect at a very reasonable price then buy this Lens
Superb choice for users on a budget but want that focal length range
I was expecting at least £1500 at release
This is a bargain especially if it is better than the PL at 400mm and it takes TCs !
In a few months you will be able to pick one of these up used for £800 😵

Last edited:

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
For an existing PL100-400 on an Olympus body user like me, this doesn't seem compelling enough for a switch, given I bought the PL100-400 used. This lens is distinctly bigger and heavier, as well as being slower throughout the range. AF and IS don't seem to be leaps and bounds better, and the difference in sharpness under completely controlled conditions is small - in the field, I'm not sure how much it will matter. All the existing tests have been against single copies, so who knows what the difference actually is.

Last edited:

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
For an existing PL100-400 on an Olympus body user like me, this doesn't seem like compelling enough for a switch, given I bought the PL100-400 used. This lens is distinctly bigger and heavier, as well as being slower throughout the range. AF and IS don't seem to be leaps and bounds better, and the difference in sharpness under completely controlled conditions is small - in the field, I'm not sure how much it will matter. All the existing tests have been against single copies, so who knows what the difference actually is.
Personally i would buy the sligthly bigger Oly100-400 over PL100-400(new or used) as its have some usefull advantages that could be noticable in use, plus it fits better in the Oy eco-system when it comes to compability. For me these advatages outweighs the small weight/size diffrence between the two lenses.

Lens stabilisation seems to be quite much better, infact better than PL100-400 when used on a Panasonic body that gives Dual IS.

Do you get any roll compensation with the PL100-400 when used on a Oly body? With updated Oly camera you get some roll compensation with the Oly100-400 (camera in body satbiliser handles the roll compensation)

Weather sealing is probably better on the Oly100-400 as its IPX1 rated when used with a weather seald body.

The Oly100-400 can take tele convertes, performance with the 1,4x will probably be OK and can be usefull in good light.

Higher magnification with the Oly100-400.

AF limiter on the Oly100-400 have three positions wich is very usefull, especially when you are allowed to customise the AF limiter in the menu on recent Oly bodys.

Built in Arca Swiss attachment on the Oly100-400 tripod foot, nice if you use tripod of any kind with Arca Swiss head.

With Oly body you get Pro Capture Low and focus stacking with the Oly100-400.

Yes being a bit slower, most noticable under 200mm...from 200mm and up its so small differnce that it will hardly have any effect in practice when shooting.

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Looks like no sync IS, I guess saving that for the 150-400.
Peter Forsgård seems to indicate body or lens IS not both if I understand correctly.
Gordon Laing & Red 35 ssem to indicate both can be used at once but both describe it differently.
Since Robin Wong says no sync IS also, I guess it does not have it.

This lack of sync IS may make it harder to sell to a person looking to buy into the system for wildlife if the G9 & Panasonic 100-400 has the better sync IS

I really hope they did not cripple this lens with regard to IS

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
So... It seems the lens isn't Sync IS compatible but can work with the IBIS to provide 3-axis stabilization. Better than nothing. And it is sharper at 400mm than the Panasonic. I just wish they hadn't taken the shortcut and make it as big as the full frame 100-400mm lenses. Less than 1kg would have been nice.

Oh well... Let's see what happens. I want the lens, but I don't know if I want to splash out >1000EUR on a lens I'd use only occasionally and would make zero income from. I guess the 100mm macro is now my 1st priority. IF it comes out...

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
It’s early days and we’ve not yet seen that much official material/explanation about the “not Sync-IS” aspect. However, if the lens IS can work in junction with at least some of the sensor stabilisation then there is a lot of potential to succeed or fail with the marketing and communications. For example, whilst the lens and body may not ‘sync’ it appears it could be said to have ‘dual IS’ 😉

It feels like this lens could be wrongly assumed to be worse in this area vs the competition when headline feature comparisons are made, as they frequently are on t’internet. And I’d suggest that this is already happening in the launch day YouTube ‘reviews’ which on the whole seem to present the IS of this lens as a disadvantage. In contrast, the written word hands on reviews (Bambousek, MirrorlessComparisons etc.) show it slightly ahead of its peers in this regard.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
So who is right? Do they work together or not. The video guy with the funny voice says they are not working together and makes a point of saying with both lens and camera IS on they are fighting each other and unaware of the other system. Yet Robin Wong says they work together but points out it is not the same as sync IS.

:doh::doh::doh::doh:
Ron, if you go back over past FW updates of models you will see that later models (then) were compatible with Sync IS & others had updates that were not for Sync IS but did allow sensor 'roll' correction with the two lenses (300 f4 & 12-100 f4) when using the OIS & IBIS in conjunction. Now this lens is not compatible with Sync IS but will work with OIS & sensor IBIS 'roll' correction, resulting in three axes correction only, not five.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Well, at least it exists. Orders can be taken, so they better start producing this lens. Cheaper than a new PL100 -300, and it can take a 2X converter. Bigger, people may say this is a good thing, heavier, lots of positives. Bring on the PRO 150-400.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Ok, got further into funny voice guy video and when he gets to the video section he says they are working together. So this guy does not only have a funny voice but he contradicts himself, make giving me much confidence in anything he says.
"funny voice guy" ??? This reminds of when the three main Harry Potter actors visited the US & kids there asked why they didn't talk like them. "Are they acting or do they always talk like that?" (or words to that effect). :laugh:
The 'contradictory' part may be because he didn't have the updated FW in his camera with compatibility for this lens, allowing pitch & yaw correction with OIS while allowing the sensor IBIS to correct for roll.

Last edited:
Ron, if you go back over past FW updates of models you will see that later models (then) were compatible with Sync IS & others had updates that were not for Sync IS but did allow sensor 'roll' correction with the two lenses (300 f4 & 12-100 f4) when using the OIS & IBIS in conjunction. Now this lens is not compatible with Sync IS but will work with OIS & sensor IBIS 'roll' correction, resulting in three axes correction only, not five.
Yes. It appears that the lens does support dual stabilization but it does not support Sync IS™. Which seems like it's a marketing decision on what to say the lens can and can't do.

nstelemark

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Larry
This lens is distinctly bigger and heavier, as well as being slower throughout the range. AF and IS don't seem to be leaps and bounds better, and the difference in sharpness under completely controlled conditions is small
From the mirrorlessons review:

The Panasonic version has an all-metal build and has a higher quality feel.

At 300mm, the Olympus is a bit sharper once again at the fastest aperture, then it is the Leica that has an advantage (albeit small) at f/8 and f/11

Basically the PL has a slightly faster aperture and is slightly softer unless stopped down. But the advantage is you have the faster aperture available. For me, the PL is smaller, better built and has a different optical compromise, ie brighter but slightly softer. That works. I have bigger heavier faster/sharper lenses at my disposal, the PL is convenience. My copy of the PL has a great zoom ring, no complaints.

It will be interesting to see the lenstip review.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
Last edited:

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
And it’s only £1099 upon release !
Its called a compromise
Olympus has had much criticism for releasing products that are too expensive in the market place for the system
They've obviously made this Lens to a price point rather than to ultimate performance
Where did you see the £1099 price? In the US it's available to pre-order at B&H for $1500 USD. Big difference.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Going off on a tangent:

To me this lens goes even further to prove that the old Panasonic 100-300 really is an unnecessarily maligned over-performer.

eTW4zRb.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

At equivalent FL the 100-300 matches the PL 100-400 and beats the Olympus 100-400 in widest aperture. Sure, both those lenses should be sharper and have the 400 end, but for the price the old lens looks really good.

I will probably keep my old beater lens until someone is generous enough to buy me a 300PRO.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How have all those owners of the various Sigma etc zooms plus metabone adapters managed without IS?
In my case I have a Canon 70-300II NanoUSM for one of my adapted few lenses that do have stabilization. When I have it setup as a 300mm lens, I let the lens handle IS because the lens has more travels than the IBIS. As a 210mm lens it becomes a mixup because the IBIS in my E-M1II beats the lens for small movement and slow shutter speeds but if the sensor runs out of travel then the shot will be blurry. If I'm consciously shooting under 210mm frequently then I just turn the lens IS off (and default over to body IBIS) because the E-M1II beats the lens.

A shame that Olympus didn't include Sync IS, this would have been the perfect lens to go with it. Hopefully they realize how there's a huge selling point and back-update it into the firmware somehow.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Personally i would buy the sligthly bigger Oly100-400 over PL100-400(new or used) as its have some usefull advantages that could be noticable in use, plus it fits better in the Oy eco-system when it comes to compability. For me these advatages outweighs the small weight/size diffrence between the two lenses.

Lens stabilisation seems to be quite much better, infact better than PL100-400 when used on a Panasonic body that gives Dual IS.

Do you get any roll compensation with the PL100-400 when used on a Oly body? With updated Oly camera you get some roll compensation with the Oly100-400 (camera in body satbiliser handles the roll compensation)

Weather sealing is probably better on the Oly100-400 as its IPX1 rated when used with a weather seald body.

The Oly100-400 can take tele convertes, performance with the 1,4x will probably be OK and can be usefull in good light.

Higher magnification with the Oly100-400.

AF limiter on the Oly100-400 have three positions wich is very usefull, especially when you are allowed to customise the AF limiter in the menu on recent Oly bodys.

Built in Arca Swiss attachment on the Oly100-400 tripod foot, nice if you use tripod of any kind with Arca Swiss head.

Yes being a bit slower, most noticable under 200mm...from 200mm and up its so small differnce that it will hardly have any effect in practice when shooting.
If I didn't already own the PL, I might agree, but my perspective is that it's not an obvious upgrade if you were already satisfied with using the PL.

The IS has been good enough for me as I'm usually shooting moving birds - waders, swimmers and flyers, so need high shutter speeds anyway. Compatibility with Pro-Cap L is something I do miss.

As for the TC - I have no interest. The PL is already slow enough at f/6.3 for most of the conditions when I use it...

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
If one has Oly cameras and is in the market for a zoom in this focal range, then this lens may make sense. But if one already owns the PL 100-400 - whether using Oly or Pany bodies - I can't see bothering with it. But they promised to bring out this lens and they kept their promise. So at least it's there for anyone who wants it. I just wish they hadn't waited so long.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom