Olympus 100-400mm Availability

Stringer

Mu-43 Regular
Just got mine from Amazon.ca in Canada. I did a preorder on April 8 scheduled for May 2 delivery but came early on Tuesday this week. Also it was the best price I could find in North America.
Cheaper than the USA by about $200.00.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
Almost $600 CAD cheaper at Amazon compared to Vistek and Henry's. Seems weird that there is such a big discount for such a new and not widely available lens (Henry's is special order only).

MetilHed

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
1618591780727.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Walter
On the other hand...boo on Olympus. $1500 lens and no soft case included? Really? Any of you that have one have any recommendations for a case that will fit?

I don't usually store it in a case because it goes in my dry cabinet. However, I bought a large semi-rigid lens case from Olympus when I had some rewards points to use up. Olympus is only giving pouches with their Pro lenses. Heck, they don't even give you lens hoods with most of their lenses. I think that's more important. At least this one came with a decent lens hood. :)

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't know for sure, but I imagine that boat stuck in that canal hasn't helped things.
due to its size, this lens was assorted with FF lenses to be shipped out from the Far East ports and necessitated an FF ship to do the high seas voyage safely but the canal has been longtime APS-C ships optimized

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't usually store it in a case because it goes in my dry cabinet. However, I bought a large semi-rigid lens case from Olympus when I had some rewards points to use up. Olympus is only giving pouches with their Pro lenses. Heck, they don't even give you lens hoods with most of their lenses. I think that's more important. At least this one came with a decent lens hood. :)

I was bummed about that too. I shelled out $35 or whatever for the Olympus lens pouch.
I bought a Mindshift Photocross 13 backpack to carry the lens and my EM1.2. It works well but it's too much to also carry a laptop.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Well, I am getting a bit more anxious now. Jessops dropped my pre-order out of the blue. Made a pre-order with Clifton Cameras and I talked to them today, no update on a stock delivery, they are still looking at allocation for May. Park Cameras changed their estimation of availability from 23rd April (today) to 30th April.

I am already a month late on Kingfisher season which should be nest building, locally, and next month is their mating season and June is going to be the hatchling time. And that's one of a few things I was looking forward to this year.
I am seriously starting to consider the Olympus 300mm f 4 Pro, which is still out of my budget even for the used price, or Olympus 40-150mm f 2.8 Pro with 2x TC which I would not be happy with the maximum reach for small birds and large birds of prey in flight.
(I am still not considering Panasonic lenses because of the Pro Capture Low unavailability, even though the Panasonic Leica 200mm f 2.8 is oh so tempting at 1.000 £ price)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
There's another 5* used Olympus 100-400 on LCE site again Ovidio.
And under a grand!
Thank you so much, I can’t even express how grateful I am to you right now. I called the store, cancelled the pre order and ordered the lens in less then 10 minutes.
Apparently the lens was from a peep who tried Olympus OM-D E-M1 X with the lens and was not happy enough so he went back to his Nikon setup and sold them off after 2 weeks of use.
There were 3 other peeps interested in the lens it seems so I had not time to think about it so I just went for it ... and got 100£ cheaper too. (Which was an instant approval from the misses if I let her use the 100 quid for new clothes ... win win I guess :p )

PS: You said there’s 5 of them? It’s actually last one left and I snagged it. Ma bad ... it was actually a 5 star rated lens as you said :)

Last edited:

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Wow Ovidio, I wasn't sure you'd be interested in a "used" version, but given how desperate you seemed (and disappointed on missing out on the last one I told you about) I thought I'd just give you the "heads up".
And now, I'm delighted I did so and that you even got a discount.
Actually, there was only the one available, I was referring to what was actually a ***** (five star) offering.
I only got back from a few days away, so both me, and you seemed to get lucky.
I sincerely hope you have lots of fun with the lens and await patiently for some Kingfishers photos.
All the best,
Brian.

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well, I am getting a bit more anxious now. Jessops dropped my pre-order out of the blue. Made a pre-order with Clifton Cameras and I talked to them today, no update on a stock delivery, they are still looking at allocation for May.
Listening to this, I am now sure the 100-400mm lenses bound for Europe are loaded on the impounded ”Ever Given” currently moored in the middle of the Suez canal.
You see, nobody told the Japanese shipowners that all this was orchestrated by the hardcore m43 aficionados populating most of the key chairs of the current Egyptian ruling mechanism that have always been lusting the latest Olympus big guns (as for the 150-400mm royal guns, when available, these are too holy and are already reserved to be ceremonially offered to the recently relocated Pharao mummy Kings).

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Listening to this, I am now sure the 100-400mm lenses bound for Europe are loaded on the impounded ”Ever Given” currently moored in the middle of the Suez canal.
You see, nobody told the Japanese shipowners that all this was orchestrated by the hardcore m43 aficionados populating most of the key chairs of the current Egyptian ruling mechanism that have always been lusting the latest Olympus big guns (as for the 150-400mm royal guns, when available, these are too holy and are already reserved to be ceremonially offered to the recently relocated Pharao mummy Kings).
Well the lenses were held ransom by the canal not allowing the ship to go sideways but now they are probably going to be held ransom by the Egyptian mummies for:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Wow Ovidio, I wasn't sure you'd be interested in a "used" version, but given how desperate you seemed (and disappointed on missing out on the last one I told you about) I thought I'd just give you the "heads up".
And now, I'm delighted I did so and that you even got a discount.
Actually, there was only the one available, I was referring to what was actually a ***** (five star) offering.
I only got back from a few days away, so both me, and you seemed to get lucky.
I sincerely hope you have lots of fun with the lens and await patiently for some Kingfishers photos.
All the best,
Brian.
I don't mind used ... my Oly 12-100mm f 4 Pro is a used one. To be honest, I was feeling a bit desperate, I have been feeling quite depressed and my mental health was falling apart for some months now and I really need some photography trips, even just locally, to get some good results and make some prints. I am going to try it next week, unfortunately, it will arrive on Tuesday, when I am working 08:00 to 20:30.

Still, thank you so much for the tip, this wouldn't have happened without your help.

Latest threads

Top Bottom