Olympus 100-400mm Availability

DustyGeorge

Mu-43 Regular
Does anyone have a clue about when the Olympus 100-400mm lens will be generally available? I have had one on order with B&H since @July. At first they had a shipping date sometime in September. Then it changed to October. Then it changed to 16 November. Now it is "New Item - Coming Soon." The Amazon date used to track with the B&H date. Now I can't even find a listing for it on Amazon.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
In the U.K. a camera shop says ring for availability. Amazon says temporarily unavailable and a multi sho/internet sales says not yet available, click to join waiting list.

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
Mike's Camara in Boulder told me they hoped to get a shipment by the end of the month, but didn't seem confident. They got a bunch in initially, sold those, and haven't shipped since. They would take a deposit to get me on their waiting list though (I declined, no trips planned soon which would use it).

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Does anyone have a clue about when the Olympus 100-400mm lens will be generally available? I have had one on order with B&H since @July. At first they had a shipping date sometime in September. Then it changed to October. Then it changed to 16 November. Now it is "New Item - Coming Soon." The Amazon date used to track with the B&H date. Now I can't even find a listing for it on Amazon.
Yeah, I ordered one in September from B&H and am also wondering what's going on. Another question - Olympus is having a $100-off sale on that lens (gee, they could sell it for half price as long as they never have it in stock!!), ending at the end of November, I think. I'd been thinking I would get the $100 off as long as it shipped by then (although I'm not sure), but now it looks like that date won't happen anyway. Anyone know about what a sale means if you ordered something BEFORE the sale and then it ships during the sale?

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
This is rotten.

If I were in the market and was awaiting this lens, I would cancel the order and buy it at the discounted price.

To discount a lens when there is existing demand makes no sense.

I did a first day preordered and received it several days before it was even supposed to ship (from Adorama).

It's a great lens and I hope you all get your lens soon. I've posted a few images in the Showcase forum.

I think the announced price of the Oly 150-400mm made the 100-400 look a little more realistic.

Since using the 100-400 I'm not as interested in the 150-400 (even at half the price) right.

I shoot an EM1.2.

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
Purchased the lens from Olympus US on Aug 21st... Called them earlier this week regarding the new $100 discount. I was given an email to contact. The discount will now be applied to my order when it ships...

I am Happy with Olympus... They were gracious and helpful

Regards
Dogbert62

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Purchased the lens from Olympus US on Aug 21st... Called them earlier this week regarding the new $100 discount. I was given an email to contact. The discount will now be applied to my order when it ships...

I am Happy with Olympus... They were gracious and helpful

Regards
Dogbert62
Same here, waiting since August for mine as well. But they have agreed to apply the extra $100 off my order as well.

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
frustrating stuff. I pre-ordered, got way past the date they said they would have it, decided to cancel and get my deposit back and the next day they called and said 5 had come in and one was still not allocated.

Just another day on planet strange.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just have to be patient. There is a hold up somewhere in the manufacturing process. They will be making this lens for a good few years, you can be sure of that.
I was tempted by a second hand one for sale lately in Canon mount, but then I would have had to buy another camera, and you know how it is, when you already got way to many as it is....

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Just have to be patient. There is a hold up somewhere in the manufacturing process. They will be making this lens for a good few years, you can be sure of that.
I was tempted by a second hand one for sale lately in Canon mount, but then I would have had to buy another camera, and you know how it is, when you already got way to many as it is....

If you've got a G6 why don't you just buy the Panasonic Leica version?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
frustrating stuff. I pre-ordered, got way past the date they said they would have it, decided to cancel and get my deposit back and the next day they called and said 5 had come in and one was still not allocated.

Just another day on planet strange.
I only got my order in early last week but was told stock was expected by the end of last week (if fulfilled would have enough to cover my order too). They hadn't received any by Friday afternoon, but hopefully soon. As long as I get one before Christmas I will be happy, but it would be nice to have it sooner.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
How are the Black Friday deals going to work if there is no stock available to buy?

Mike, if i were unable to make a unique product fast enough to meet existing demand, the last thing I would do would be to make it available at a discount a month before Christmas. If anything, I would be seeking out ways of putting the price up (I hope they don't though).

MetilHed

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
I decided to buy this lens a bit after the pre-orders started being delivered, kicking myself that I hadn't pre-ordered it. At that time they were also notifying people more wouldn't be available until sometime in November. I ordered from Amazon anyway, understanding there would be a wait, and I got it September 24th, after waiting maybe a week or a week and a half.

Real Name
Walter
Mike, if i were unable to make a unique product fast enough to meet existing demand, the last thing I would do would be to make it available at a discount a month before Christmas. If anything, I would be seeking out ways of putting the price up (I hope they don't though).

Well, it's currently on sale on Getolympus for $100 off, that is, for $1,400, until November 26th. Not expected to ship until end of November. :)

You want that price, better get your order in real soon.

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Well, it's currently on sale on Getolympus for $100 off, that is, for $1,400, until November 26th. Not expected to ship until end of November. :)

You want that price, better get your order in real soon.
There is a seller in Sydney (NSW) also offering it at a discount price, but as I understand it, they buy through a wholesale purchaser (that also has a chain of stores) like a number of smaller stores also do, so it could be a wait for them to get any from an allocation of stock. I ordered from a store chain that buys directly from Olympus (Australia) so hopefully it will come sooner, even though it will cost similar to all the other sellers around.

Latest threads

Top Bottom