Olympus 100-400mm Availability

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Lens rotation on body, carry by lens not camera body, don't store upright. Use the bracket on a tripod. This is taking the pleasure out of owning and using the equipment.
Mike Whinge-ate? Really? :hmmm: I pick up my E-M1 II with MC20+40-150 Pro lens by the foot (rotated to the top) all the time.
Now I have the 100-400 lens, you will just have to read how much I enjoy it while you keep thinking how unenjoyable it is. ;)

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Mike Whinge-ate? Really? :hmmm: I pick up my E-M1 II with MC20+40-150 Pro lens by the foot (rotated to the top) all the time.
Now I have the 100-400 lens, you will just have to read how much I enjoy it while you keep thinking how unenjoyable it is. ;)
That's how I'd pick it up if I had that setup, for sure. When I get my 100-400, I'll do that - good idea rotating the foot to the top (I think I heard of it before but never actually did it with my Canon large lens. Now they tell me!)

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
That's how I'd pick it up if I had that setup, for sure. When I get my 100-400, I'll do that - good idea rotating the foot to the top (I think I heard of it before but never actually did it with my Canon large lens. Now they tell me!)
If it doesn't need to go into a tripod it sits nice at the top. If there is a battery grip or on the E-M1X then at the bottom would be better for bag room. The 40-150 Pro lens doesn't have the Arca-Swiss foot so I added a plate to it which gives me a 'T' shape to hang on to. The 100-400 lens has the added Arca-Swiss machining in it & doesn't need that extra rail. It's shape is closer to the lens body so I put fingers around the knob as well. It's OK but not as comfortable as a 'T' arrangement.
The 150-400 Pro lens has a long enough foot with padding, but it costs a lot more. ;)
EDIT: I should add, it is comfortable using the lens with foot at the bottom.

Last edited:

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Seems out of stock in the US, Amazon and Greentoe are not even listing it yet. Placed an order direct with GetOlympus, figured they would ship faster than stores with no stock, they say it will ship mid-December with free 2-day delivery. Hopefully an early Xmas present to me. :clapping:

Last edited:

Always

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Arthur
Seems out of stock in the US, Amazon and Greentoe are not even listing it yet. Placed an order direct with GetOlympus, figured they would ship faster than stores with no stock, they say it will ship mid-December with free 2-day delivery. Hopefully an early Xmas present to me. :clapping:
Just chatted with B&H about my order, they said that is no estimation date of delivery yet and I will received email notification once backorderd is fullfilled😩

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Just chatted with B&H about my order, they said that is no estimation date of delivery yet and I will received email notification once backorderd is fullfilled😩
Big B&H fan, bought my EM1.3 from them, but for the reason they couldn't give me a expectation date when I called, I went to GetOlympus. Same $100 off price of $1,399, and they had a note saying "Expected to ship mid December" next to the add to order button. Maybe you want to contact them?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
In Australia we had a shipment a couple of weeks ago (where I got mine from) but Olympus Australia said the next batch won't come till January & if out of stock, it might be more than a month's wait.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
To add a means of securing a strap to the foot, why not just drill two holes at either end of the recess & make those openings smooth, then there are various options to attach without compromising the use of the Arca-Swiss mount?

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Had placed my order with GetOlympus last Thursday Dec 3 as B&H could not say when they might be getting the lens in stock and Amazon did not have it listed as available. Olympus said it would ship mid-December. Then on Sunday Amazon listed the lens as in stock and said I could get it by Friday Dec 11th with free shipping! (not a prime member) Monday morning I called Olympus and they confirmed it would be shipping mid next week, so likely I could receive by Dec 18th at best. I cancelled with Olympus and reordered with Amazon who gave me a delivery date of Friday the 11th, a week sooner, as I had a credit with Amazon I wanted to take advantage of.

Late Monday night Amazon shipped the lens and I have a tracking number. :clapping:

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Had placed my order with GetOlympus last Thursday Dec 3 as B&H could not say when they might be getting the lens in stock and Amazon did not have it listed as available. Olympus said it would ship mid-December. Then on Sunday Amazon listed the lens as in stock and said I could get it by Friday Dec 11th with free shipping! (not a prime member) Monday morning I called Olympus and they confirmed it would be shipping mid next week, so likely I could receive by Dec 18th at best. I cancelled with Olympus and reordered with Amazon who gave me a delivery date of Friday the 11th, a week sooner, as I had a credit with Amazon I wanted to take advantage of.

Late Monday night Amazon shipped the lens and I have a tracking number. :clapping:
My only problem now is, I'm taking 100's of photos as the birds become more active down under. It's a great lens, but the subjects (birds) aren't always posing like I'd like them to. ;)

:drinks:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
You guys talked me into it - I cancelled my order with B&H and ordered it from Amazon. It promises I'll receive it by Dec.14. I prefer to order from anyone but Amazon, but gee, enough is enough. What the hell is up with B&H?!?

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
You guys talked me into it - I cancelled my order with B&H and ordered it from Amazon. It promises I'll receive it by Dec.14. I prefer to order from anyone but Amazon, but gee, enough is enough. What the hell is up with B&H?!?
B&H has had the lens listed since announced and they must have a LOT of preorders to fill, see @DustyGeorge above, he ordered in July.

Amazon on the other hand, listed it when they had stock back in early November, then delisted it when the initial shipment sold out and was not accepting new orders for it. Once they got stock over this past weekend they put it back up for sale. So they do not have a lot of backorders to fill and my order was shipped the same day as ordered. Hopefully yours will too.

The other benefit to buying from Amazon is we have until Jan 31 to check out the lens fully, and return if there are any issues.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom