Olympus 100-400mm Availability

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Darek
In Poland one of Oly dealers has it ready for shipment for 5790pln - 6% discount (you need to calculate exchange rate for yourself). Shipment to GB approx. 22GBP, to Germany 22EUR.
I can give you the link, if interested.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
In Poland one of Oly dealers has it ready for shipment for 5790pln - 6% discount (you need to calculate exchange rate for yourself). Shipment to GB approx. 22GBP, to Germany 22EUR.
I can give you the link, if interested.
This works out to about £1107 including shipping. That's really good considering they actually have them in stock.

It is very easy to get swept along with the desire to own exotic camera gear (I only have to look in my three camera bags to realise that).

Unless there is an airshow season next year, I have no need for such a beast - and if there is, I may still be better off renting (or buying s/h) a 300/4, or just renting a 150-400 for the one or two major events that I would attend.

From what I've seen so far, the IQ of the 300/4 with 1.4x converter appears noticeably better than the top end of the 100-400 sans converter (either that, or the sync.IS is what's making the difference). I would need to borrow a 100-400 before I bought it.

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
With the delay in the next batch I would think there are components that had to come from elsewhere. With the lens element design being the same as the Sigma DSLR lens, I would think the OIS unit would be the same as the Sigma lens & not designed or manufactured by Olympus, so they would have to wait on components like that for the next run.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I've just spoken to a lovely lady in Olympus Australia & they said they had some stock come in & will be distributing it around the different purchasers (as well as for their own shop) but the next batch won't come till January because of covid disruptions. It would seem I will be waiting for that batch now.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Purchased the lens from Olympus US on Aug 21st... Called them earlier this week regarding the new $100 discount. I was given an email to contact. The discount will now be applied to my order when it ships...

I am Happy with Olympus... They were gracious and helpful

Regards
Dogbert62
Because of entries in this thread (including this one by @Dogbert62 ), I sent an email to B&H asking them to honor the current sale price of $100 off on the 100-400 for me when it does ship (I ordered it back in September). I got a reply saying they would and a second email showing the order adjusted, with the new $1399 price (still says "coming soon"). So that was nice. :)

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Regular
Advertising the lens on a website and having them ready to ship are not always the same thing.

I'm sure we've all bought things online and later found they were not available. I'm dealing with that right now for an item unrelated to photography.

A lens in the hand is worth two on the web.

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
Purchased the lens from Olympus US on Aug 21st... Called them earlier this week regarding the new $100 discount. I was given an email to contact. The discount will now be applied to my order when it ships...

I am Happy with Olympus... They were gracious and helpful

Regards
Dogbert62
Olympus just charged my card.... Thus, it is shipping today or tomorrow....

Regards
Dogbert62

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
Just looked Wex Photographic site here in the UK and they're showing the lens in stock at five out of their nine branches. Price is £1199, which is £100 more than other retailers, who they are still asking for pre-orders. Looks as though Wex has received a recent stock shipment.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Just looked Wex Photographic site here in the UK and they're showing the lens in stock at five out of their nine branches. Price is £1199, which is £100 more than other retailers, who they are still asking for pre-orders. Looks as though Wex has received a recent stock shipment.
Looks like it’s pre-order only on their main website. But still at £1,099.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
That sucks because the store here in Anchorage has 10 of them.
Yeah it's interesting which stores get them. I called one of the biggest shops in Portland (trying to get that 0% sales tax) and they didn't have any nor were they expecting to get any. They rec'd a store in Seattle. Surprisingly they had one that was returned (10% open box sale! off the msrp price) and also offered 0% sales tax and free shipping to San Francisco. I count myself very lucky; I was considering the lens but didn't preorder as I wanted to read some hands on review first.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Regular
Yeah it's interesting which stores get them. I called one of the biggest shops in Portland (trying to get that 0% sales tax) and they didn't have any nor were they expecting to get any. They rec'd a store in Seattle. Surprisingly they had one that was returned (10% open box sale! off the msrp price) and also offered 0% sales tax and free shipping to San Francisco. I count myself very lucky; I was considering the lens but didn't preorder as I wanted to read some hands on review first.
It's not 0% sales tax.
It's just that you aren't paying the sales tax now. Failure to disclose it to the Franchise Tax Board could make this the most expensive lens you've ever bought.

It's a very good lens.

tiago.ereira

Mu-43 Regular
I just got mine from a local shop. It was the only one they had.

I was planning to wait until next springtime to get one at a cheaper price but the fact that it is sold out almost everywhere will likely mean no price reduction anytime soon and someone mentioned the fact that we don’t know how the transition to JIP will impact the manufacturing process so I started looking on the web for a place with stock.
I found a website with the lens with “low stock” so I gave them a ring and they had this one in stock. Didn’t think twice.

I cannot test it properly before the weekend because is dark in Ireland after work but after the first test inside I can say it seems very sharp, heavier than I was expecting and the mount is not that tight. The lens rotates quite a bit on my EM1mk2 which is a bit annoying. Seems like it is a common “issue” so I need to decide what to do about it.

P.S. The shop owner told me that for UK + Ireland they are only expecting 12 (twelve) units of the 150-400.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom