Olympus 100-400 still out of stock in U.K. what a lost opportunity for OMDS ?

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Just out of interest I’ve just checked on the availability of the Olympus 100-400 assuming that it would now be freely available a year on from release ? only to find that it is out of stock in all of the main suppliers I checked in the U.K
Im not aware of whether it has been widely available in the interim and that it has just gone out of stock again but I just feel that this is such a lost opportunity for the fledgling OMDS to have gotten a boost from such a popular product in the company’s early days and that the opportunity has been squandered
Surely they have had time to employ a few more people and ramp up production to meet the apparently high level of demand for the lens and make some much needed profit ?
Are they entirely dependant on the remnants of the Olympus company to provide the lenses from within Olympus - either way its such a shame that they are not capitalising upon a sought after product - or do I have unrealistic expectations or perhaps I’m missing something ?

Last edited:
Just out of interest I’ve just checked on the availability of the Olympus 100-400 assuming that it would now be freely available a year on from release ? only to find that it is out of stock in all of the main suppliers I checked in the U.K
Im not aware of whether it has been widely available in the interim and that it has just gone out of stock again but I just feel that this is such a lost opportunity for the fledgling OMDS to have gotten a boost from such a popular product in the company’s early days and that the opportunity has been squandered
Surely they have had time to employ a few more people and ramp up production to meet the apparently high level of demand for the lens and make some much needed profit ?
Are they entirely dependant on the remnants of the Olympus company to provide the lenses from within Olympus - either way its such a shame that they are not capitalising upon a sought after product - or do I have unrealistic expectations or perhaps I’m missing something ?
Chip shortage. It's affecting all suppliers. Beyond OMDS control.

you do realize that there is a global pandemic that has had supply lines in total chaos for almost 18 months?

Real Name
Mike
It's not easy to just add more production capacity.

Also, presumably this is Sigma's production capacity we're talking about, not OMDS's own in Vietnam. The lens is an adapted Sigma full-frame DSLR optical design and this lens says "made in Japan" so it's probably also coming out of Sigma's factory as well. (maybe, correct me if that's wrong)

The bigger deal is OMDS not being able to make enough of their 150-400mm Pro. That one, as they've talked about, seems to not be related to chip shortages.

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Amazon, Vistek, and Camera-Canada here in Canada do have it in stock. And the 100-400mm F5-6.3 is a lens that is 20% more expensive than most of their "Pro" lenses, even after they raised the price of all the "Pro" lenses last year. It's their third most expensive lens, behind only the 300mm F4 and the 150-400mm F4.5, so it's probably not something we should expect them to produce in large quantities to fly off the shelves for crowds of people lining up in front of the stores.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was watching the UK stock situation from announcement last year until I managed to get mine in early June this year. Even then, no official dealers were showing stock. A few popped up sporadically, sometimes at an inflated price, but they were usually sold within hours, before I was in a position to place an order. I decided to place an order with a dealer showing no stock just to get myself into a queue, even though I had no idea when it might be delivered. It took 4 weeks, but even then the retailer never showed any stock, The deliveries are all sold to pre-order so they never make it onto the stock inventory.

Wex were showing one in stock a few weeks ago, but none today.

Edit: Olympus Store UK and SRS Microsystems are currently showing stock.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom