Showcase Olympus 100-400 f/5.0-6.3

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Very nice, useful lens - easy to live with. Very happy I bit.

Red-tail hawk, cropped to ~6mp before resize.
_H5B8256m43.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sparrow, cropped to ~12mp before resize.
_H5B8481m43.jpg

Black-capped Chickadee, cropped to about 8.5mp before resize.
_H5B8531m43.jpg

Turkey, cropped to ~14mp before resize.
_H5B8541m43.jpg

Last edited:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
.xb-attach{ text-align:center; display:inline-block; *display: inline; clear:both; max-width:100% } .lbContainer.lbContainer--canZoom .lbContainer-zoomer { bottom: 24px; }
_h5b8531m43-jpg.jpg

E-M1MarkIII M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 + MC-14 560mm f/10.0 1/800s ISO 1000​
560mm. MC-14. f/10. WOW!!! :eek-31:

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
560mm. MC-14. f/10. WOW!!! :eek-31:
IOW, one click from wide open. For me, the camera gets props for the general noiselessness of the images. All were processed in LR with my normal settings (i.e., luminance noise correction off)

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
Looks to me that this lens is a rebranded Sigma 100-400 f5-6.3 in an M43 mount. The Sigma looks the same and is of nearly identical dimensions and weight... but the price is less than half.

https://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/item/sigma-100-400mm-f-5-6-3-dg-dn-os-7625

What do you think? Is it the same lens?

A lot of people think this and I don't actually know what the conclusion was. The Sigma/Oly comparisons were a hot discussion before the lens was released.
News&Rumors about 100400, search: Sigma.
News&Rumors 100400 imminent, search: Sigma.

Specifically this post showing the differences/similarities of the Sigma/Oly optical designs.

I'm not bothered either way. The lens performs beautifully and is tiny compared to APSC/FF equivalent focal length lenses that I've rented.

Here's a coyote I ran into in Yosemite the other day. Really glad I hike with this lens mounted so I can grab it on the fly. It's a wee bit cross eyed we all think. Was sauntering around keeping its eyes on the ground; likely hunting for rodents.

Oly RAW wifi download to Google Pixel 2XL, processed through LR mobile.

OI000018 (3).jpg

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
It's not the same. There are differences and most of all, Olympus has added features that didn't exist.

You can convince me otherwise by getting both of the lenses and doing scientific, repeatable studies showing that they will produce 100% identical photos in every situation. Your move. ;)

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's not the same. There are differences and most of all, Olympus has added features that didn't exist.

You can convince me otherwise by getting both of the lenses and doing scientific, repeatable studies showing that they will produce 100% identical photos in every situation. Your move. ;)
I used to travel to Helsinki on business and loved the quiet of snowfalls at night. But winters are much better in Spain. Was out hiking in the countryside today and it was 18C and sunny. You can't beat that in February.

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A lot of people think this and I don't actually know what the conclusion was. The Sigma/Oly comparisons were a hot discussion before the lens was released.
News&Rumors about 100400, search: Sigma.
News&Rumors 100400 imminent, search: Sigma.

Specifically this post showing the differences/similarities of the Sigma/Oly optical designs.

I'm not bothered either way. The lens performs beautifully and is tiny compared to APSC/FF equivalent focal length lenses that I've rented.

Here's a coyote I ran into in Yosemite the other day. Really glad I hike with this lens mounted so I can grab it on the fly. It's a wee bit cross eyed we all think. Was sauntering around keeping its eyes on the ground; likely hunting for rodents.

Oly RAW wifi download to Google Pixel 2XL, processed through LR mobile.

View attachment 875133
Probably, Olympus sent design specification to Sigma and had them produce the lens in the name of Olympus. Photo revenue and profits being what they are today, makers probably do a lot of production outsourcing. Great photo of the coyote!

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Personally, I couldn't give a stuff if it was made by Oly, Sigma or tupperware as long as it's good build quality and gets the job done optically !

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Personally, I couldn't give a stuff if it was made by Oly, Sigma or tupperware as long as it's good build quality and gets the job done optically !
Agree. Was thinking for a while about buying the Sigma and trying it on my metabones smart adapater, but then... its f6.3 at 400mm and honestly I'd rather shoot f4 at 300mm and crop. So I convinced myself not to change... surprise!

Real Name
Chris
Agree. Was thinking for a while about buying the Sigma and trying it on my metabones smart adapater, but then... its f6.3 at 400mm and honestly I'd rather shoot f4 at 300mm and crop. So I convinced myself not to change... surprise!

Agree. I was thinking the same thing. If the Sigma at half the price is nearly the same lens, it would be a consideration on an adapter. I am thinking the Oly will be cheaper down the road and I am waiting for now.

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Here's a single frame (from ORF) of a mockingbird to show what the lens can do.

Uncropped before downsize, no processing other than my Lightroom defaults; Adobe Color, LRCC default capture sharpening, Noise Reduction (luminance 0, color 25 [Lr default]).
_H5B9454m43-3.jpg

Cropped to 100%. Settings as above.
_H5B9454m43.jpg

Artistic crop (~10.8Mp) processed lightly in Topaz Denoise AI for noise (~15) and sharpening (~25), all accomplished before downsizing
_H5B9454-Editm43-3.jpg

100% crop in Topaz Denoise AI, settings as above.
_H5B9454-Editm43-2.jpg

Last edited:

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Face.jpg

Something a bit out of the ordinary. Saw the face when I opened my curtains this morning. I've looked at and photographed this tree for a couple of years! Processed in Affinity Photo, an elliptical filter and some judicious shading. Used my EM-1 mkiii and the 100-400mm.
Brian

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
01023319-01.jpeg

01023317-02.jpeg

OI000578-01.jpeg

OI000580-01.jpeg

OI000579-01.jpeg

OI000577-01.jpeg

01023335-01.jpeg

Last edited:

joerg218

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jörg
M1II5457_DxO.jpg

M1II5620_DxO.jpg

M1II5547_DxO.jpg

M1II5686_DxO.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom