Showcase Olympus 100-400 f/5.0-6.3

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I was pleased with this shot, since I was much farther away from this bird than I'd like to have been. I was also pleased that I could get decent focus through the brush.

SOOC JPEG, uploaded to smartphone then to this forum. Olympus Em1.2.

I believe it was SAF, smallest single target.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
Wow! I don't have this lens, but that's probably the best I've seen the C-AF + Tracking work. Do you use this mode for birds often? Also out of curiosity what AF sensitivity are you using?
Yeah I basically use this mode any time I go birding. I upgraded from the EM5ii to the EM1ii specifically for better tracking/af. When birding I have center weighted C-AF+Track on a custom mode and S-AF+ manual on a different custom so I can quickly switch for birds that land. I don't know what you're referring to about AF sensitivity so I assume it's just the standard setting.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
We bought a bird feeding station the other weekend. Very great for convenient birding from living room :)

View attachment 861346
201205 - Birding from living room by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

View attachment 861347
201205 - Blåmes by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

View attachment 861348
201205 - Nötväcka by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

View attachment 861349
201205 - Talgoxe by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

View attachment 861350
201205 - Koltrast by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

View attachment 861351
Nice. If the weather allows, you might want to think about putting the camera outside and using a remote shutter release while watching from inside.

You don't want to disturb the birds so keep the camera away. And don't use artificial lights(flash). The Audubon Society's bird photography guidelines say to use flash sparingly because it's not good for the animals.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
Woke up with the sun today. The Chinatown crew has thinned down to about 5 people now. They must have either gotten their keepers like I thought I did last month, or it's getting too cold for them now (42F according to my car). The barn owl wasn't super active today but it passed us three or four times. As I was heading back to my car at 7:45 when the sun was way up, it came pretty close to me so 285mm was quite perfect.

I pride myself in keeping my head on a swivel; one of the guys I was talking to about my 6x4.5 film camera didn't notice the owl as it flew (behind) quite close to him! I missed focus on that one but that's ok. Upon viewing my photos at work, I found a couple of post-coffee bm pictures that I caught. 💩

None of these are cropped except the photogrid. Wifi download RAW -> Google Pixel -> Lightroom mobile -> "largest jpeg export" -> Google Photos -> PC -> here.

OI000124.jpg
OI000123.jpg
OI000118.jpg
PhotoGrid_1607534821502.jpg

wonglp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Trying to chase some birds this week and finding some pockets of time to test the 100-400mm with E-M1X new AI bird detection firmware.

Having about 50% hit rate of sharp shots (for birds in flight of the beeaters), not sure was it my technique or settings, i did have some issues with my EE1 running off calibration rather easily (had to readjust it many times throughout the shoot). Here are some sharper ones, some are post processed in Topaz Denoise, and LR. For perching and stationary ones, it works really well. Exif is intact on my flickr.

Blue-tailed Bee eater
50709644677_47b74dbd09_k.jpg

White-breasted water hen
50708825188_ce9397734a_k.jpg

50710478876_2630001d8b_h.jpg

50709744628_90c3871395_k.jpg

Last edited:
Caught an Osprey enjoying some very fresh sashimi (I believe it is mullet).
_EMX6931-Edit.jpg

NSFW, Definitely a couple. They hang out at the end of the dock for safety. I don't really know much about their species' mating habits but I have seen them together for a few months now.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom