Showcase Olympus 100-400 f/5.0-6.3

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
I got one! Found a shop in Seattle that doesn't tax to California, ayooo, and it had free shipping. Got a call after ordering and found out that it was the last one and on hold but also 10% off due to "open box" return. Heck yeah I'd go for it. $1350! (plus 5x rolls of Portra 400)

Arrived today. Major step up from the 14-150mm in all aspects. I totally dig it. Here are the first test shots I got after work. The area is hard to get close to birds since it's a marsh and there's fences all about. I totally need practice but I'm pretty happy so far.

General settings: EM1ii, IS auto, Continuous AF+tracking, Auto ISO to 3200. Oly100400, IS on, 6m-infin focus, AF on. Generally kept it just under 400mm. These are pushed through Lightroom Auto + a bit of curve changes. No crop, no noise reduction, standard +40 sharpening.

I'll be heading out to the marsh in the morning/lunch/after work for the next few days. Also going up to Oregon over the weekend so hope to catch some different wildlife up there. Edit: The attachments say they're <500kb. Should I insert the images into my post for compression reasons?

Attachments

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
^ Responded to you via pm just in case store name drops aren't allowed.

Let me know if I'm spamming too many pics. I figure since there's still a small(ish) number of people with the lens I may as well promote what I can.
These are crops for composition.
Some nice shots, keep them coming as you say a bit of promotion is good. Thats what the forum is for, posting real world pictures :thumbup:

How are you finding the stabilization for framing up? Does it hold the image steady for you?

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
How are you finding the stabilization for framing up? Does it hold the image steady for you?
Cheers! IS is pretty good. I'm not as strong/stable as I used to be since Covid started but with controlled breathing I can get most things to hold well. 400mm and 14x evf zoom is a bit tough to hit the bird's eye and not just behind the head, but again that should come with practice. Took a few sunrise bird pics before work today at 385mm, f/6.3, 1/250, ISO3200 and on the EM1ii screen they still look pretty useable in terms of sharpness. I probably wouldn't bc noise but it shows that the dual IS is pretty good even at that focal length/sspeed.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
Drove up to Oregon to visit family. Didn't see any wildlife for most of the weekend. Stopped at the Klamath/Miller Island Wildlife Area and almost got skunked there too. Saw a pair of red tails circling as I was headed back to my car. Tracking lock is pretty good; wish I had nailed the one of the hawk landing.

I was sitting in my car checking out my photos when I was buzzed by an American Kestrel. With car idling I hopped out and was able to snap off a few shots.

Also included is a 400mm shot of north face of Shasta taken from the Vista pulloff. Note the ice sheets sliding down. They'll probably become an avalanche. So cool!

Attachments

Last edited:

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
I am really digging this lens. Using iNaturalist I found a less-marshy spot near my house/work that I decided I'd go to. Day 1 at 6:30 AM I saw a bunch (shy of two dozen) of wildlife photogs up on the hill so I quickly made my way up there. Turns out they're the San Francisco Chinatown Photography Society. Unfortunately I don't speak, but I was able to talk to a couple of guys who said they were tracking a barn owl but the last time they saw it was 20 minutes before I got there. I went back the next day and we only saw what iNaturalist identified as a short eared owl; and it was way far away. Today, day three, I/we got really lucky. Female barn owl was hunting around us for the whole 1.5 hours I was there. I am the only one on M43; everyone else has humongo lenses and tripods. And I definitely bring the average age group down... a lot.

This lens worked fantastically after ~6:45. It's way too slow for any of the earlier shots. Really really stoked; I've been wanting to see a wild owl since I picked up wildlife photography in February and in the past two days I've seen two! Pretty sure that my perception of "owl" is of a great horned owl, so I will be really happy once I finally see one of those.

Stills are crops. The gif is not cropped but is compressed.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
I assume the time lapse is just a series using C-AF? Well done!
Yep! EM1ii C-AF+T on slightly slower than full 10 fps. For a brief moment in the field I switched to video but decided I'd never get anything stable or usable. The second picture I posted is an individual frame from the time lapse.

I opted to sleep in today and did not get to the field. I figure they saw the barn owl on Monday/Wednesday. Might still be full today from yesterday's hunt.

Motmot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dan Miller
Just your basic house finch (Haemorhous mexicanus).

Post-processed through Topaz Denoise, Topaz Sharpen (Stabilize), and cropped. Handheld from about 5 meters.

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular

Not the greatest aeroplane picture but was about half a mile away! Taken with the 2x t/c and cropped quite heavily.
Brian

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Was the plane flying straight up or straight horizontal? :roflmao:

I super duper can't wait for San Francisco Fleet Week.
It did about twenty minutes of pretty spectacular aerobatics. It was barely ever level. It was a shame that it never came closer than about half a mile away, it was a horrible cloudy sky as you can see.
Brian

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom