Showcase Olympus 100-400 f/5.0-6.3

Theo1

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Theo
Second attempt this week with this beautiful lens. Is it sharp? Yes, at least thats my opinion.
The 1st is at 400mm. and the second is at 138mm.
You can also see them at my Flickr account (and a couple more),
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153188826@N07/

Attachments

• P6030031.jpg
    P6030031.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 98
  • P6030037a.jpg
    P6030037a.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 96

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was working in the lounge earlier when the wife alerted me to a crime in progress. She recommended that I bring my camera to capture evidence. The camera was upstairs in its bag with the 100-400 and MC20 attached. Ideally, I would not have opted to use the MC20 under tree shade, but I did not have the luxury of time, so I grabbed it as was.

When I captured these I was awkwardly leaning over a coffee table towards the open window, trying to keep the curtain back with my right elbow. It was early evening, light levels had started to fade, but were still fairly good.

EM120002_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EM120004_DxO.jpg

EM120006_DxO.jpg

EM120010_DxO.jpg

EM120016_DxO.jpg

EM120019_DxO.jpg

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I was working in the lounge earlier when the wife alerted me to a crime in progress. She recommended that I bring my camera to capture evidence. The camera was upstairs in its bag with the 100-400 and MC20 attached. Ideally, I would not have opted to use the MC20 under tree shade, but I did not have the luxury of time, so I grabbed it as was.

When I captured these I was awkwardly leaning over a coffee table towards the open window, trying to keep the curtain back with my right elbow. It was early evening, light levels had started to fade, but were still fairly good.

View attachment 891764

View attachment 891765

View attachment 891766

View attachment 891767

View attachment 891768

View attachment 891769
So detailed yet clean. Wow! Good photos, good IQ.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
Took a trip to Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier and saw every animal I had hoped to see. Tons of photos to go through but here's a vid I captured and wifi downloaded to my phone. I only saw one other Olympus and one Lumix body whilst out there. The Oly was with the 300 PRO and the Lumix was adapted to a spotting scope.

Olympus EM1ii with Olympus 100-400mm f/5-6.3 on tripod with ball head. Both IS off. 400mm probably.

https://flic.kr/p/2m4axbo

scottv

Mu-43 Rookie
Wow. Great squirrel photos and very impressed with the details you are getting with MC20 attached. Would not have predicted that.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wow. Great squirrel photos and very impressed with the details you are getting with MC20 attached. Would not have predicted that.

Thank you. I've been pleasantly surprised with both TCs on the 100-400, I'm getting better results than I do on my 40-150.

MC14 @511mm, 1/250 sec, f/9, iso 2000.

EM120248_DxO.jpg

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
EM120271_DxO.jpg

The Eternal Novice

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Thomas
A "caught by surprise picture" of DB Cargo Scandinavia MZ 1456 somewhere between Hinnerup and Hadsten.

P5316339.jpg

P5316362-3.jpg

The Eternal Novice

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Thomas
I bet you couldn't have gotten those shots without Olympus' truly revolutionary "Train AF"-AI! :D

I of course used that exact Train AF, but it did strugle a bit :)
But hey, handheld at 314mm (the last pic is cropped a bit) combined with my skils (or lack of ;-) ) maybe at the edge of what the technology can muster.
Several of the images in the burst are not tack sharp

Bird.jpg
Robin4.jpg
Rose.jpg
Robin2.jpg
Robin1.jpg
From the garden today

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Overcast day, close subject, monopod, IS auto, lens IS on.

Post processing is DXO Photolab 4 denoise AI followed by Adobe Camera Raw, crop to square/+10 texture/+10 contrast, local dodging and a vignette. Could have added some high pass sharpening, but it didn't need it.

Very pleased with the results I can get from this lens. ISO 400, 1/60sec f8.

RSC1988.jpg

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
squirrel practice.JPG

Well it's been about a week since I picked up my 100-400. It takes a little getting used to. I'm not accustomed to the long focal length yet and I seem to have a little harder time getting sharp distance shots at the long end than I did with my 75-300ii. But, this lens is heavier and physically much longer when extended than that lens was, so I just need to pay more attention to my hold and breathing techniques, especially in low light/slow shutter speed situations.

So I practice on guys like this in the back yard. He's only about 30 feet away and has been well paid.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
sq blk prac.JPG

Exact same spot with different exposure challenges. Intense backlighting and dark subject. He is also well paid though, so I can take my time getting the shot.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Very nice shots, @Will Focus . I like your idea of practicing on low hanging fruit - er- squirrels. One thing, however - can you tell us if these images are cropped, please. I don't want to see the original or anything, but just a word about how much they are cropped (if at all). If you were only about 30' away, I kind of assume they are not cropped, but would like to know.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Very nice shots, @Will Focus . I like your idea of practicing on low hanging fruit - er- squirrels. One thing, however - can you tell us if these images are cropped, please. I don't want to see the original or anything, but just a word about how much they are cropped (if at all). If you were only about 30' away, I kind of assume they are not cropped, but would like to know.
Thanks. They are slightly cropped to eliminate some distracting composition. I am on my phone and don't have access to the original files at the moment, but cropping and any other post applications were very minimal.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Without wanting to be repetitive, this photo is from the squirrel series I posted when I first got my 100-400 back in June. It's very similar one I posted back then, however it didn't make my final selection. The reason is that I preferred the slightly wider composition of the other one. This one however is at the extreme end of the zoom range when coupled with the MC20, so today I thought I'd export the raw with minimal processing to see how well the lens / tc combo did at it's limit.

It was shot at 800mm, f/13, 1/250 seconds, iso 1600, handheld. According to Exif, the subject distance was 7.4m, so reasonably close. The RAW was lightly cropped and straightened in PL4 (all my PL4 profiles are default), and exported to a full sized TIFF using Prime NR (Not DeepPrime). In photoshop CC, I adjusted levels lightly to lift some shadows and then downsized to a 1600 x 1200 jpeg. I then added very light high pass sharpening to the final jpeg. No other adjustments have been made........

EM120009_DxO-1.jpg

I've not had much time to play with the lens over the last few weeks, I'm hoping to get out with it next week, weather permitting.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I think that this image is a good example of how getting closer improves the IQ a lot. This is not to say that the lens isn't good, but this sharpness (especially with a 2x TC) is partly because of the closeness, I think. So, um, that means that I need to get out my Rambo snorkel and camo gear and stalk creatures from water-level, I guess. Oh gee, maybe tomorrow... ;) Nice shot, for sure!

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think that this image is a good example of how getting closer improves the IQ a lot. This is not to say that the lens isn't good, but this sharpness (especially with a 2x TC) is partly because of the closeness, I think. So, um, that means that I need to get out my Rambo snorkel and camo gear and stalk creatures from water-level, I guess. Oh gee, maybe tomorrow... ;) Nice shot, for sure!

Yes, getting closer really helps the IQ. Prior to having the 100-400, I tried to capture the squirrel on the same bird feeder using the 40-150 and MC20 and was never happy with the results. Getting detailed images of birds on that feeder is one reason I bought the 100-400, but I have realistic expectations for when the subject is more distant. I also think the 100-400 lens IS helps a lot. I find it a lot harder to get sharp shots when the MC20 is paired with the 40-150, which is counter-intuitive considering the shorter focal length.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom