1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 100/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jun 1, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/5784425551/" title="P1000832.jpg by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 5784425551_76e063b688_b. "1024" height="768" alt="P1000832.jpg"></a>

I bought this (older silver nosed version) lens recently and it arrived today. I am pleasantly surprised. This was shot @ f4. I have never found 135s to be all that useful for me on m43 bodies but I quite like the 100. You wouldn't think that it the difference between a 100 and 135 would be that great (I had the Zuiko 135/2.8 and a Hexanon 135/3.2 previously and never warmed up to either one). FWIW, I am really amazed at how small and light this lens is. It's barely longer than a 50/1.8.

Here is a 100% crop of the flower.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/5785033058/" title="P1000832-Edit.jpg by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 5785033058_563c79320d_b. "1024" height="768" alt="P1000832-Edit.jpg"></a>

• Like Like x 5
  2. Gear: 1 Dixeyk: 0 :smile:

Nice lens, though. They are as small as I've seen for a 100mm SLR lens.

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    dixeyk,
    The 100mm / 2.8 is an excellent lens and can be found at reasonable price,
    unlike it's big brother the 100mm / 2.0 which is a FANTASTIC lens, but at about 5 times the price on the used market and they are very rare. Attached is a list of OM Zuiko lens and their suggested usable aperture. This list that was taken from the Olympus site.
    I have a VERY difficult time posting large size images from attachments on this forum, seems like everything I post is shown as a thumbnail. That's one of the reasons I rarely post photos. What's the secret to post a large size image such as yours.
    You images are very nice.

OM_W_A_Std.

OM_Tele_Macro.

OM_Zoom.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Sammyboy-

I found that going 800 pixels on the longest side works well in all forums.

G

• Like Like x 1
  5. Attachments show up as clickable thumbnails, but if you use an image hosting site like Kevin (dixeyk) did here from flickr you can copy and paste the code onto the forum in a whole range of different sizes.

I've wondered whether that list from Olympus was to scare people into buying a nice new set of M Zuikos. It certainly doesn't encourage you to try the old OMs at all with a limited range of "recommended" apertures.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    That my be true, but I have an OM Zuiko 300mm 4.5 that is very good on film, but is very poor at all apertures on my E-P2, and as you can see, it does not appear on the list. I would tend to think the Olympus information on the list is correct, Note #1 mentions "Olympus Standards".
    Thanks to you and Gary for the info about posting.

Sam

• Like Like x 1
  7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    LOL :eek:

Yeah, well there is a kind of gray area there.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

I use Flickr and Zenfolio (any other photo hosting site will work as well). They allow you to simply copy and paste embed info from your image directly to this forum. Then I use the image tool in the message window to paste the embed info into.

[​IMG]

I find that chart interesting. I'm not sure I agree fully as I have been able to use my various OM lenses at more focal lengths than the ones listed. I wonder what criteria they base those numbers on?

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have the Pentax-M 100/2.8 and love the FOV.