Olympus: “We know our fans want to have a 100mm macro lens”

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think a 100mm F2.8 IS Pro would be good complement to my 12-100mm F4 IS Pro. Only other lens I want is a 10mm F1.4 Pro, then my M4/3 lens collection will be complete.

I've never used a telephoto macro lens before, so I'm only worried about how versatile such a lens would be for macro work. I am not sure about the effect of telephoto compression on macro photography. Otherwise, a Pro macro prime seems ideal.

Shadetree

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Butch Oakey
Hmm. I have just been looking at 30mm f/3.5 lens for 140 €. Thinking if it would add something to my photography. Not good with insects but maybe with other macro, something like mosses, mushrooms etc.

Also when I saw the 30mm & 60mm macro lenses on sale I immediately thought about a longer lens maybe coming at some point. Now today I saw this. It's a sign! Would be so awesome.

Macro is a strength of M43 so it would make sense to attract more people to the system in this way too, having a great macro lens range.
I have both of those lenses and they are top notch, you won't be disappointed. Just my 2 cents worth....

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
I have both of those lenses and they are top notch, you won't be disappointed. Just my 2 cents worth....

Yeah, I bought it as I do macro most. This photo is one of the keepers from recent times.

The AF is really good and I like to have the different focal length.

It was funny as the butterfly was flying around me so I thought to put my hand out and it landed on my index finger.

f/9, 1/500, ISO 400. Only straightened the horizon a bit.

P5310859_DXO-3_200.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
https://learnandsupport.getolympus....il_ettips&utm_medium=email&sfmc_sub=130057174

New updates roadmap announced today with a 100mm macro pro lens!!!

interesting and perhaps reassuring given the recent news?

We shall see. I am starting to think the 100mm macro is Olympus's unicorn. They roadmapped one back in the 4/3rds days but never managed to get it out before switching over fully to m43. So once again we are at the same point just with the m43 roadmap. Fingers crossed!

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
As mostly a macro photographer this lens road map update is basically the best thing I could hope for to be added. ?

But really I'm not expecting too much, glimmer of hope, which is great already.

The lens roadmap is a bit weird in how it shows the focal lengths. Could it even be 120mm lens, meaning macro lenses 30mm - 60mm - 120mm? Most likely it means 100mm.

olympus_lens-roadmap.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
The lens roadmap is a bit weird in how it shows the focal lengths. Could it even be 120mm lens, meaning macro lenses 30mm - 60mm - 120mm? Most likely it means 100mm.

It will probably be a prime of around 100mm. Maybe they are tweaking the design still and are trying to determine the best focal length for their design. So it could be a 90mm/2 like the old Oly OM or perhaps a 105/2.8 like Sigma. I don't think there is anything magical about the "100" number, just that something ~100 will be released, hence the little bit of uncertainty in the roadmap.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
180mm is a somewhat "classic" long macro length for film and FF, and Olympus did have a legendary 90mm as mentioned by @PakkyT. So I could definitely see it being 90mm.

Also the 8-25mm popped up on that roadmap. That would be a very useful lens for landscapes and urban shooting. Pair it with a 35-100 f2.8 and who needs a standard zoom or regular UWA?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Olympus did have a legendary 90mm as mentioned by @PakkyT. So I could definitely see it being 90mm

Back in the OM days Oly was really good about standardizing on filter sizes with one set of lenses getting 49mm and the other set 55mm. So you could buy one filter and use it on all your lenses for that set or at most one filter and a ring if you had a mix of those lenses. So it may be the "90" picked for OM was simply chosen as the longest focal length they could go at f/2 and still stick with the 55mm filter.

Now, since Oly doesn't seem to give two hoots anymore about reducing the number of filter sizes, it could be anything now. I think my five most used Oly lenses (3 primes, 2 zooms) have 4 different filter sizes. Couldn't they have just made the front of the 45/1.8 match the 17/1.8 & 25/1.8? Is that too much to ask? :( (to be fair I think that finally occurred to them on the 17/25/45 PRO line).

AndyCr

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Andy Cripps
180mm is a somewhat "classic" long macro length for film and FF, and Olympus did have a legendary 90mm as mentioned by @PakkyT. So I could definitely see it being 90mm.

Also the 8-25mm popped up on that roadmap. That would be a very useful lens for landscapes and urban shooting. Pair it with a 35-100 f2.8 and who needs a standard zoom or regular UWA?
The 8-25 would have been nice a couple of years ago, but I went for the PanaLeica 8-18. This may be too late. And yes, I paired it with a 35-100 too :)

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Back in the OM days Oly was really good about standardizing on filter sizes with one set of lenses getting 49mm and the other set 55mm. So you could buy one filter and use it on all your lenses for that set or at most one filter and a ring if you had a mix of those lenses. So it may be the "90" picked for OM was simply chosen as the longest focal length they could go at f/2 and still stick with the 55mm filter.

Now, since Oly doesn't seem to give two hoots anymore about reducing the number of filter sizes, it could be anything now. I think my five most used Oly lenses (3 primes, 2 zooms) have 4 different filter sizes. Couldn't they have just made the front of the 45/1.8 match the 17/1.8 & 25/1.8? Is that too much to ask? :( (to be fair I think that finally occurred to them on the 17/25/45 PRO line).
I can get by with two step-up rings and one filter for almost all of my Pro lenses.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
An f/2.8 100 mm prime with lens IS for macro? I’m definitely interested.

I am completely ignorant about lens design, but I wish there was a way to design a macro lens so that it has greater depth of field than the aperture dictates. I guess we get that in a way with the m4/3 sensor size, though I vaguely recall reading debates about this that got rather complicated. Regardles, I can only imagine how razor thin the depth of field will be with this lens at its closest focusIng point.

Along the same line of thought, I wonder if this lens will accept the teleconverters as a way to get even more reach without affecting depth of field? I am not a fan of teleconverters myself, but others seem to get good use out of them.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I wish there was a way to design a macro lens so that it has greater depth of field than the aperture dictates.
Is this not the aim of those who like to stack? And if so, can anyone what m4/3 cameras can do in-camera stacking? It's beginning to interest me a little, too. I keep seeing people who say their images are hand-held stacks and I simply can't imagine how that can be so easy :) I may have to get more with it.....

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Have some patience. These thinks take time, then when they are released. You want to read and watch the reviews. Then search the forums for comments, wading through comments of collectors who would rather use their old manual everything on an adapter lenses that do just as well, if you like the vintage look. Then you wait for the initial price to drop, constantly checking to see who is selling their latest purchase as they are moving on to another camera format...

Latest threads

Top Bottom