Olympus: “We know our fans want to have a 100mm macro lens”

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Is this not the aim of those who like to stack? And if so, can anyone what m4/3 cameras can do in-camera stacking? It's beginning to interest me a little, too. I keep seeing people who say their images are hand-held stacks and I simply can't imagine how that can be so easy :) I may have to get more with it.....
Yes, it is, and it works well for what it does. However, stacking won’t work with an insect that is moving around, or foliage being moved by wind.

I believe all of the cameras have Focus Bracketing, which is the one that I use anyways. With this feature, the camera takes all of the frames and slightly different focus shifts, and you merge them in post with stacking software. I don’t think all of the older cameras have Focus Stacking, which is Olympus’ in-camera stacking feature which produces a merged JPEG. I find that the in-camera merging works pretty well.

Focus bracketing gives you control over both the interval shifted and the number of frames taken, up to 999. Focus stacking also lets you control the interval but allows far fewer frames (16 or so, IIRC). One other difference between focus bracketing and focus stacking is where the initial aim point starts. With focus bracketing, it is on the closest front edge of the subject. With focus stacking it’s somewhere about a third of the way into the subject. I prefer Focus Bracketing for macro, but sometimes I use Focus Stacking for landscapes. Either will work.

Last edited:

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Along the same line of thought, I wonder if this lens will accept the teleconverters as a way to get even more reach without affecting depth of field? I am not a fan of teleconverters myself, but others seem to get good use out of them.
From a translation of the patent description, bold not mine --

"The interesting thing is that the back focus is 29mm and the space is long enough to install a tele-conversion lens, though it is mirrorless . Furthermore , it is stated in the literature that it is an inner focus type macro lens in which both ends of the lens (front lens/rear lens) are fixed, and it has a highly hermetically sealed design that is advantageous for dust and water proof . In addition, it seems that an optical image stabilization lens is also incorporated ."

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
Olympus registered patents last fall for 90mm and 100mm f2.8 Macro designs. We will likely see one of these.

https://asobinet.com/info-patent-olympus-100mm-macro/
Not neccessarilly. The 8-24mm F4 patent turned out to be an 8-25mm F4 on the latest roadmap - if we will trust this kind of source. I would bet that the long macro lens is F3.5/F4 to keep it smaller - targeting more macro shooters. The latest lenses seem to be more in the spirit of m4/3 - more on a compact side (exclude the future 150-400mm lens).

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I can get by with two step-up rings and one filter for almost all of my Pro lenses.
Sure, but note that you put in two restrictions; only your pro lenses and not all of them. :whistling:

Have some patience. These thinks take time, then when they are released.
Sure, 15 years and counting. We have had a LOT of patience. In the 4/3rds days a fast macro close to 100mm had been announced as early as 2003 to be released in 2005, then later said to be released in 2008. Then dropped. And now we start all over again with m43. Olympus's unicorn!

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Sure, but note that you put in two restrictions; only your pro lenses and not all of them. :whistling:
To be fair, the only lenses I have that won’t work are the 7-14 and 8mm, which don’t take filters, and the 300mm.

Also, I made a mistake. It’s only one step-up ring.

Last edited:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Not neccessarilly. The 8-24mm F4 patent turned out to be an 8-25mm F4 on the latest roadmap - if we will trust this kind of source. I would bet that the long macro lens is F3.5/F4 to keep it smaller - targeting more macro shooters. The latest lenses seem to be more in the spirit of m4/3 - more on a compact side (exclude the future 150-400mm lens).
PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE be an f/4 lens and not an f/2.8. There's no need for a macro lens to be unnecessarily big. They have the f/4 PRO lineup now so the 100mm macro lens would be the crown jewel of that series IMO. :)

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE be an f/4 lens and not an f/2.8. There's no need for a macro lens to be unnecessarily big. They have the f/4 PRO lineup now so the 100mm macro lens would be the crown jewel of that series IMO. :)
Yeah, smaller is better for hand-held macro.

I think the Olympus 30mm f/3.5 is a little bit sharper than Olympus 60mm f/2.8 at small apertures according to Lenstip. Could be related to it being slower?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Will a longer O macro be 1:1. The 30mm is 1:1.25, the O60 is 1:1, going downhill.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Will a longer O macro be 1:1. The 30mm is 1:1.25, the O60 is 1:1, going downhill.
I'm hoping for 1:1.5 but even the 1:1 would be reasonable. I'll be adding a Raynox or two to the lens anyway. Unless it's a 2.5x macro but I wouldn't even dare to dream of such magnification. :D

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Where any details given 15 years ago of the new long focus macro lens?
The roadmap from 2003 showed a "Fast Telephoto Macro" centered on the graph at 90mm and would be released in 2005.
The roadmap from 2007 showed a "Telephoto Macro" centered at 100mm.

I am not sure of later roadmaps, I will have to look and see if I can find a later one on the interwebs.

Edit: it looks like by 2010 they had two roadmaps, one for m43 and the finalized (all lenses shown released) and neither showed a ~100-ish mm macro lens.
Source: https://www.photographyblog.com/news/olympus_updates_lens_roadmaps
Quote from the above link:
"As to the E-system lens roadmap, the only change we were able to spot is that the elusive 100mm telemacro is now gone for good, and the chart now features existing lenses only (which makes one wonder why it is still called a roadmap)."

Last edited:

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
There was a few interesting primes on the 2003 roadmap that disappeared from later ones. It was that roadmap that helped convince me to stay with Olympus after using a Canon FF/APS-C two body kit for 5 weeks in 2006.

getoutandshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave

Yes, I would prefer f/4 as well,
but I won't be surprised or that disappointed if it is f/2.8. The extra stop of speed would make it a little more useful for non-macro. e.g., greater subject isolation for outside candid portraiture, better for astro-imaging/photos of constellations, etc.

Dave

doady

Mu-43 Regular
Pro lens that is darker than non-Pro versions would be weird. I am not sure I would agree with that.

I have F4 Pro zoom as well, so if I get a Pro prime with a focal length in the same range, I would expect to have brighter aperture as well.

Pro should be brighter than non-Pro. Prime should be brighter than a zoom.

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
Pro lens that is darker than non-Pro versions would be weird. I am not sure I would agree with that.

I have F4 Pro zoom as well, so if I get a Pro prime with a focal length in the same range, I would expect to have brighter aperture as well.

Pro should be brighter than non-Pro. Prime should be brighter than a zoom.
To be really useful for astro it should be extra sharp at f/2 and at infinity focus.
Don't know why they can't do an m.zuiko 100mm f/2 lens.
They did for OM and those things are more than 30 years old and still sell for a small fortune, more than $500US, used.

getoutandshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
In macro work, few people shoot wide open. So I think there is an argument to intentionally keep the maximum aperture modest on a macro lens, and maybe even moreso in the micro-4/3 world where one of the key advantages is compact size... But I know, usually on a premium macro lens, they make it fast anyway. So you pay extra for the speed and the lens is bigger and hopefully you find ways to use it wide open. They made the 75mm f/1.8 very small; of course it isn't a macro, but maybe they could make an 100 f/2 macro pretty small too.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Disclaimer that this is a big can of worms if you go for edge cases or bespoke designs meant for certain applications:

A lens that is designed to both be a telephoto design, and focus very closely, is going to have to be a certain physical length, the same way a the fastest aperture at a focal length determines the minimum diameter of the front element.

For our purposes, with a smaller sensor camera, we are quite interested in the macro effective aperture. At high magnifications we have to deal with macro effective aperture, so an F4 lens at 1:1 is now acting like an F8 lens, and that's past the point of diffraction on our 20mp sensor by a fair way. This will get worse if you try and extract even higher magnification from it with diopters or extension.

If you're focus bracketing, it's not such a huge deal if you're working with narrow depth of field, and you can always stop down if you need more.

For handheld macro, for me at least, the main determination is the total weight of the setup, not the total size. So for me my main two configurations are the 60mm + 2 flashes cross polarised, or the 180mm Tamron 3.5 macro working with no flash - both setups are under that critical threshold where I can still hold it steady for multiple shots of the same subject at higher magnification. If it's much over 1.5 kilos all up it becomes a lot more difficult.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I imagine it will be f/2.8, as the patent showed. I don’t know how large that will make it (someone smarter than me can do the math for a minimum estimate), but while I don’t think it will necessarily be huge, it won’t be small either.

I’m no expert on lens design, but typically the wider the max aperture, the more room there is to minimize aberrations and get sharper before diffraction kicks in and starts to undo some of that sharpness (although many Oly Pro lenses are actually sharpest at their widest aperture, which is pretty nice). So, there oftentimes is value in a brighter lens, even when using a smaller aperture.

Second, larger aperture lenses can be used in a wider variety of situations, which might attract buyers who wouldn’t just use it for macro.

Third, Olympus also has focus stacking as an alternative technique to stopping down in order to get more depth of field, depending on the demands of the situation. Sometimes that extra aperture can come in handy even for macro.

Lastly, the 30mm and 60mm macros are both small lenses. If Olympus needs to make this one larger to improve its capabilities over the others... well, that’s a consistent differentiating aspect of the Oly Pro lens ethos. (In the case of aperture, it would really just be keeping up with those other lenses.) The lens is also sure to be weather sealed, Pro build quality, is stated to have IS and will most likely have a lens function button, all of which will add to the size and weight.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I never shoot my 60 @ 2.8
Always f4, 5.6, or 8
My 30, I blaze away at 3.5 all day long.
This new lens, sounds to expensive for me. :(

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I imagine it will be f/2.8, as the patent showed. I don’t know how large that will make it (someone smarter than me can do the math for a minimum estimate), but while I don’t think it will necessarily be huge, it won’t be small either.
Sigma had (maybe still do for non-4/3rds) the 105/2.8 and the 150/2.8 1:1 macros so you could check those out for an approximate size comparison. You can see them here...
https://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/macro.html#i_105mm_f028_sigma
(the 150 is right below the 105)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom