Olympus: “We know our fans want to have a 100mm macro lens”

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
My niche is more important than your niche.

Let’s be honest a 200 equivalent macro and T/S lens are both niche equipment. Instead of complaining about all the lens mft has, why not be happy that we have such great options.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The problem is that they don't have it even on their roadmap. Personally I think after we get both of the Olympus long tele-zooms, it would make sense to focus on another strength of M43, which is macro. It could attract more people to buy the system or parts of it.

So much is covered already. Those Pro bright primes on the map are only ~10mm-60mm on this roadmap (so this macro lens doesn't fit that area.) And designing a whole bunch of a new serie is a lot more work than one long macro lens.

T/S lens is missing, but it's the first time I have looked what such a lens does and have no idea if it is a strength of M43.

What are the odds that Olympus will release this lens next year as one of the three lenses they plan to when it is not even on the roadmap? I guess and hope it is possible.

Olympus_Lens_Roadmap.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What are the odds that Olympus will release this lens next year as one of the three lenses they plan to when it is not even on the roadmap?
Ya, as I mentioned early in this thread, back in the 4/3rds days even when it was on the roadmap it never got released.

4Paul

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Paul Keller
Whilst all seem so set on a tele-macro type, I'd rather have a macro-macro, a 2+:1, with stacking facility, something like that!
Spoil-sport, I know.
Paul

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Whilst all seem so set on a tele-macro type, I'd rather have a macro-macro, a 2+:1, with stacking facility, something like that!
Spoil-sport, I know.
Paul
Laowa is releasing 50mm macro for M43 at some point with 2:1 ability I think. Hopefully longer one later.

CO_yeti

Mu-43 Regular
100mm macro probably doesn't not have enough market draw. I'm sure that is what is holding it back. AF and size and weight is less of a concern for the market that would buy that lens and they already have other adapted solutions. The 60/45/30 macros have more crossover appeal for uses other than macro.

T-S was much more popular before software could easily do most of the same corrections. I think I also read that the distortion present in all uwa m43 lenses makes a high quality T-S lens basically impossible on the system. Maybe that was wrong info, but it made sense in my mind at the time.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Spoil-sport, I know.
Paul
The Raynox CM-2000 set (or just buying the DCR-150 and 250 separately) with the Oly 60 will give you a set that tops out at about 2.25x and can be used at F2.8-F4 to minimise macro effective aperture diffraction with quite good results. The main thing a new lens for >1x magnification is up against in this area is in producing significantly better image quality than the 60/2.8 + stacked diopters for around the same price. But, it's much harder to buy reach, and something with reach that's weather sealed and has focus stacking compatibility is definitely worth considering even if you've got a lot of other long macros like me.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Do FF users have any 200mm Macro?
I have a 300mm 'Telemacro' but sadly like my 90mm macro & 100mm macro it doesn't reach 1:1 unaided. The shorter lenses reach 1:2 while I think the 300 only manages ~1:3 so I've used it with a teleconverter :)

Long focal length macros are great for insects but sadly much more expensive than the shorter ones. I've never been able to justify the cost of a true 180mm or 200mm macro - even used their typically over £1k.

Real Name
Roddy
But, it's much harder to buy reach, and something with reach that's weather sealed and has focus stacking compatibility is definitely worth considering even if you've got a lot of other long macros like me.
Piggsy, can I ask you what you like to use for butterflies and other larger insects at distance that won't let you get close? And does what you use approach the quality of the O60/150/250 setup you otherwise use? I'm leaning towards the P45-175 (as it can be used with achromats successfully) but would welcome other suggestions.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Piggsy, can I ask you what you like to use for butterflies and other larger insects at distance that won't let you get close? And does what you use approach the quality of the O60/150/250 setup you otherwise use? I'm leaning towards the P45-175 (as it can be used with achromats successfully) but would welcome other suggestions.
If you want very close-up shots of bugs that won't let you get close, the suggestions would be:

Very long lens -

blue tiger butterfly on cosmos by PIG, on Flickr

Bait them with simple syrup so you can practically touch them with the lens -

crow butterfly on gomphrena by PIG, on Flickr

wait til they're asleep -

caper white butterfly close up by PIG, on Flickr

or just get absurdly lucky with one that will sit still for prolonged periods in daylight -

common eggfly female resting by PIG, on Flickr

By far the easiest method with the best quality output is in waiting for them to rest at night, which will let you compose the shot how you like, use your flash, etc, etc. So, easy road advice, don't :D

If you want to shoot macro for day-active subjects, my two suggestions would be either -

the Vivitar 135mm 2.8 Close Focusing

or

the Tamron 180mm F3.5 Macro

both of which are relatively cheap used (well, for what they are) and are just very good lenses all round. You will not get autofocus or focus bracketing support, but, for this kind of work, you have limited cases where you'd be stacking more than 3-5 shots together, and for daylight active bugs you will find automatic focus stacking runs into problems, and it's not usually too big of a deal to do it by hand.

The thing to bear in mind is working distance at useful magnifications, and both of those lenses give you 1:2 (perfectly sufficient for butterflies) at about ~130mm effective focal length. I have used the Olympus 40-150 budget zoom with the raynox diopters for a few sessions, and while it's not terrible, and you could use anything to make a fundamentally nice image -

pencil weevil on grass seed by PIG, on Flickr

it's not at all as nice to use as a "real" macro lens. You're basically using a lens at the longest possible end, where it has the worst image quality, then sticking a thing on it to make it shorter again to get the magnification up. The working distance is nothing special and in some cases it feel like you could have just cropped the image and gotten about the same effective increase in magnification with no real loss of true resolution.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Butterflies are easier by far, in the cool of the morning.
In the heat of the day, OMG....

Real Name
Roddy
If you want very close-up shots of bugs that won't let you get close, the suggestions would be....
Thanks @piggsy, that's all very useful and reinforces what thoughts I have found on the matter. Looks like it will be a case of different tools for different situations, as always.

Though I do need to say that I have never found the 14-140 (original) easy to use with any dioptor at all in the field, handlheld.

What adaptor do you use with your Tamron, can I ask?

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks @piggsy, that's all very useful and reinforces what thoughts I have found on the matter. Looks like it will be a case of different tools for different situations, as always.

Though I do need to say that I have never found the 14-140 (original) easy to use with any dioptor at all in the field, handlheld.

What adaptor do you use with your Tamron, can I ask?
I just use a dumb Nikon adapter for it. The Sony and Canon versions don't have manual aperture controls and I don't know how it does as an adapted lens - I can't recall ever seeing it appear on any compatibility list for any electronic adapter either, and while it's cheap, the cost combo of good adapter AND the lens would be a bit much to find out it doesn't work great on one, and all you'd get is what is apparently very so-so AF with no focus limiter.

The 135/2.8 was on its way up when I got it too! Still, people were letting them go for ~100us on auction fairly recently -

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....8"++"close+focusing"&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Some mounts are probably more expensive than others - mine was in OM which I assume made it a bit more unattractive for some camera mounts.

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
This would definitely be amazing. Obviously it’d be niche, and obviously the market for it wouldn’t be enormous, but I think the number of macro shooters in here shows that there is a solid MFT macro following. I’d still probably prefer a set of f/1.4 weathersealed primes get released first though, that feels like the largest current hole to me. The f/1.2 are enormous and the f/1.8 are awesome but getting older at this point and even an update to their designs with some weather sealed and clutch MF would be awesome

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This would definitely be amazing. Obviously it’d be niche, and obviously the market for it wouldn’t be enormous, but I think the number of macro shooters in here shows that there is a solid MFT macro following. I’d still probably prefer a set of f/1.4 weathersealed primes get released first though, that feels like the largest current hole to me. The f/1.2 are enormous and the f/1.8 are awesome but getting older at this point and even an update to their designs with some weather sealed and clutch MF would be awesome
Not sure if this is the right place for this speculation, but it's interesting to think what is next from Olympus. This year they should release the two long-tele zooms.

Of the next year's 3 lenses could be at least two f/4.0 Pro zooms as they have stated to concentrate on portability now.

That would leave 1 more lens release for next year. It's anyone's guess what that would be. This macro ~100mm lens would be great in my opinion. Laowa stated that they will release 50mm 2:1 MFT lens soon so that will be interesting, but no other information is available yet. Maybe they will release longer macro-lens later if Olympus doesn't.

About the weather-sealed primes, I wonder if they make them f/1.4. That is pretty close to f/1.2. Has anyone ever made f/1.6 lenses? That would differentiate them from current f/1.8 ones along with the weather-sealing and also better compared to current f/1.2 Pro primes in my opinion to keep the size optimal for E-M5 series.

Last edited:
Real Name
Roddy
I just use a dumb Nikon adapter for it. The Sony and Canon versions don't have manual aperture controls and I don't know how it does as an adapted lens - I can't recall ever seeing it appear on any compatibility list for any electronic adapter either
Can I ask a stupid question and ask how you are adjusting your aperture? And I am truly grateful for bearing with me.... :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom