Olympics spoilers! Don't mouse hover!

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm bummed that NBC isn't playing things live. Just found out the 100mm men's results and can't wait to watch the race tonight. Anyone see the race already?

2. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Just watched it live yes, will not give away the result for those in the US that seem to live on some time lag..:) But it was a great race and well worth watching...!

3. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Ps Amin, you are letting this photography thing go to your head, surely it was not a 100 mm race... is this some Freudian desire for yet another Olympus fast prime..:)?

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Lol, yes I do seem to have photography on the brain. Considerate of you to not discuss the results, but I think anyone who sees this title and clicks is open for spoilers.

9.63!!!

5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Ok, this may sound politically incorrect, but I am just scientifically curious:

I know that the courts ruled that the prosthetics of double-amputee runner Oscar Pistorius does not give him an unfair advantage (and I don't know yet the result if he qualified, I hope he did), but wouldn't it just be technologically a small step to add extra spring/bounce to that curve that's sort of the equivalent part of the ankle? And wouldn't that additional spring make the runner faster?

Brighter minds need to enlighten me. :smile:

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hyubie, I have no idea. It's an interesting idea though. A lot has been made of Michael Phelps' long torso, short legs, huge armspan, hyperextensible joints, big hands, and big feet: basically the perfect combination for swimming fast. It seems like once you open the door to tinkering with the body surgically, a lot can be done to give an advantage. As an endocrinologist, it isn't hard to think of how we could easily give a kid a huge armspan and taller height with some straightfoward hormone treatments that could never possibly be detected years later when they "pay off" in competition. I wouldn't doubt that there are places in the world where those treatments have been given.

Going back to the men's 100m - What would the man have run if he had gotten a good start? Unbelievable that anyone could come from behind in a 100m sprint against world class talent and win by that much. Maybe it was just the angle that made him look behind???

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I remember back in 2000 when we had to have an extra long Daylight Saving time here in Sydney so the US could have their Olympic coverage in their prime viewing time, only to find out that part of our opening ceremony was cut out 'because Americans wouldn't understand it'. :mad: It's a shame they didn't try to understand. :rolleyes: So it seems that the US media does things that suits them & their profits & nothing else matters.

Sorry, I had to get that one off my chest.

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    And you think we're any better? The free to air coverage here is simply woeful. My kids want to see archery, judo, TKD, handball (they're half Norwegian) and others. Yet they see swimming, replays of swimming and interviews with swimmers, while there are live sports being played by the best in the world. Thank God the swimmings over. But......

In one hour after the 100m final we got to see nine (yes, 9) replays of the race. Are you serious, channel 9? And they've got two channels but only one feed. We do get two sets of ads though. The biggest event in the world and we won't even be shown half of it.

Gordon

9. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I think that was a good start, his usual start. It's just that he explodes, sort of like turning on a turbo boost! Even in Beijing he didn't go out with guns blazing, but just exploded mid-run. Although the "explosion" did look like it happened earlier in Beijing than today's - that burst today was remarkable.

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Just watched it. Being taller makes it easier. USA did good though, and so did Jamaica.

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Anyone watch that USA v Canada soccer game? I watched some of it yesterday. What a nail biter.