1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympic 21mm lens on Panasonic body

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by paperpilot, Jul 28, 2013.

1. paperpilot

paperpilot New to Mu-43

Jul 11, 2013
    Hi All:

I have a Panasonic G5 and am looking for a 21mm lens to use with it. The only 21mm M43 lens is the Olympic. Has anyone used this combination? Is this 21mm a worth while addition for my G5 or should I settle for the Panasonic 20mm?

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Last time I checked, there was no such thing as an "Olympus 21mm lens."

3. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    OM Zuiko 21/2 and 21/3.5 :) but no m4/3 lens.

4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    To quote the OP, "the only 21mm M43 lens is the Olympic." There are no 21mm M43 lenses at all.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The difference between a 20mm and a 21mm would only be a couple of degrees and hardly noticeable. The Panasonic 20mm is a great lens overall. Best of all is that since it is a m4/3 lens it has AF and proper metering.

If you are looking for an adapted lens there are some other options besides the Zuiko 21mm lenses. First off Vivitar and several other 3rd party brands had one or two. The problem with all these lenses is that they are bringing a premium right now and going for more than they are really worth due to their rarity.

There are also some very nice modern manual lenses that could be adapted. For instance Leica has several as does Zeiss. If these are too rich for your budget, Voigtlander has two of them. The cheapest of the modern lenses would be the Pentax 21mm limited. All could be adapted to work on m4/3 with the proper adapter.