1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olymous G.Zuiko 50mm f1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by SW-GF1, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SW-GF1

SW-GF1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010
    Bude, Cornwall
    Hi All,

Just posted my introduction on the forum so thought I'd jump in with my first real post.

I own the GF-1 with the 14-45mm and the 20mm, but I'm looking for some more lenses to compliment the camera and my already existing setup.

Having looked at the prices of some of the dedicated :43: lens I've started to explore other avenues. I see that the above lens goes quite cheap on ebay, but would it be a good addition to my already existing setup?

I guess a lot of the pictures I take are potraits of my daughter, who is 2, and a few landscape type shots of Cornwall, so my question is, would this lens be a good option for any of those, also taking into consideration the lenses I have?

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy the adapter to the GF-1 for an Olympus OM lens like the one in the title?

Many thanks

2. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I have read that the Olympus lenses with Serial Number under 1Million had some quality control issues inherent in the design. Also stated was the construction was changed to correct it. My Olympus 50/1.4 is well above the cut-off, is multi-coated, and is quite sharp. It is a bit smaller and lighter than the 50/1.4 offered by Canon and Nokon offered at the same time. The Olympus lens is closer to F1.5 as measured by Pop Photo in 1976. The Canon and Nikon F1.4 lenses were measured much closer to F1.4. That will account for a size and weight difference.

3. aleksanderpolo

aleksanderpolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Olympus OM Zuiko Lenses

There are at least 5 versions of 50/1.4. The last version with "Japan" but not "MC" (even though it is multi-coated) is reputed to be the best, serial number >1100000.

For adapter, anything on ebay should work fine.

4. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Mine is SN 1.15million, and is very sharp. I will have to try it on the EP2, it is on the OM-1n now.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I bought my OM to m43 adapter on eBay from rainbowimaging. They are a Chinese made adapter but have a US distributor so delivery took about 2-3 days. It cost about $30 and is well made (or seems to be) the fit is nice and snug. I have also in the past bought Fotodiox adapters and was happy with them as well.

the other Kevin