Olym 12-40 owners, does the inner tube of your lens have play/loose?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ico, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ico

ico New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2014
    I got my 12-40 lens from Amazon recently. It is very solid build. However, I noticed that the inner tube has some play perpendicular to the lens axis (left, right, up and down when you point your lens forward). The play exists retracted and extended. The play is small but substantial.
    Is it normal? Or should I get it replaced?
    Thanks.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    This is the seed for a long, meaningless thread.

Without a defined force and resultant deflection measurement how does anyone know whats going on with your lens? Now, If you and everyone here knew what those values were, how would we know if it was within specification, since that's Olympus proprietary information? Why does someone think that crowd sourced opinion is more useful than facts?

FWIW, if with the same perpendicular force exerted on the end of inner lens barrel, the inner lens barrel deflects the same exact amount fully extended as it does full retracted, the lens is broken. Make sure you remove the lens hood and calibrate your finger and eye so you come up with valid observations.

3. ico

ico New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2014
    woa... I didn't expect such a long speech.

I just want to know whether there is someone has similar observation. And I totally disagree with you. The truth is, without Olympus's official specification (which I doubt you can get), large sample from crowd source is the only way to approach the "fact".

4. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Just the normal amount, it's the same as most any telescoping lens.

5. ico

ico New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2014
    Thank you, Mr. Roboto
    I did some search, and found that it is kind of normal. There are several posts on dpreview described the same thing.
    This makes me feel better. Because this is the most expensive lens I've ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Mine is pretty good, but I suspect there's a certain amount of sample variation. I've had 3 12-60s over the years, one of which had quite noticeable play when extended, one which had almost no play at all, and one somewhere in between.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think play in telescoping zooms is normal. Certainly every one I've had has done it - including some Canon L lenses. The question of course is "how much?" and then "is that too much?". Without 1:1 in-hand comparisons, that'll be hard to determine. My best advice would be to go to a store and play with another copy to see if yours seems different.