Oly Zuiko 300mm f4.5 advice please

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I've found one of these at a very good price in excellent condition.

Does anyone have any experience of them, would it be worth buying?
  2. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    my bad, im still sleepy here at work. you are correct harry sue he's talking about the older lens
  3. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I think he may be talking about the OM 300 ????? Manual Lens
  4. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
  5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I used to have that lens, used on an OM-1. I love it, and in hindsight I wouldn't have sold it years ago, if I knew that m4/3 would exist to give new digital life, to dead-mount lenses. Definitely pick it up, you'll be happy with it.
  6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Great lens. Use it with E-P3. Solid. Make sure you get it with the tripod collar! Close focus is about 7'.
  7. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    I agree and very solid build.

And use it on a sturdy tripod as the IS of the PENs will not be useful at this focal length! I used it some time ago on my E-500 and E-3.

Go for it.
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Great lens on the OM film camera's, very robust build quality, but not the greatest performer on m43 camera's. One of the few OM lenses NOT on the recommended list.

Here is the Olympus compatible list.

Olympus - Compatibilities
  9. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Compatibility is relative...

It's a complete mystery what they think the issue is with this lens. I'm inclined to believe they just forgot it... Think about it. What could possibly make this less compatible than the 350 f2.8 or the 50-250 f5?

That same list recommends for the 50 1.4 f-stops over 2.8. Fine, but at f1.4 the lens is quite good for portraits.

Just saying... OM 'compatibility' is not something Oly has spent alot of time on.:biggrin:
  10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Hi Dave,

You will, of course, need an Olympus OM to MFT adapter.

I've never used this particular lens but for a while I did have a similar spec Nikkor 300mm f4.5. I found focussing very difficult and best accomplished when using a tripod, but that was with an Olympus E-510 DSLR. Quality was good when I got the subject in sharp focus!

Here's one I took with that combination

With the right techniques you should get similar results with the OM lens and hopefully find focussing easier with your G3, plus you have a more modern, higher resolution sensor than I have in my E-510.